How do you...

*Maddy&Occhi*

Visit site
keep your older horses fighting fit and healthy?? e.g. special suppliments, work-routine etc. Mainly the older comp horse's??

My mare's 14, suspected arthritus in her back legs, on a joint suppliment and has special back shoes. She still clicks an awful lot :confused: she's out every day from around 9-2. The I arrive around 6 to ride, I mainly do dressage with her anyway, but she just doesnt step under herself like she ust too. Any ideas or anyone got any tips?? Ive just invested in magnetic hocks boots too :)

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
My sisters horse I think has clicked ever since we got him as a 4yo, he's now 20 and still out jumping etc, clicking isn't necessarily a sign of arthritis. If she is stiff though, I would recommened 24 hour turnout so she can keep moving, and doesn't get chance to stiffen up - our oldies (25 and 27) are both out 24/7.

We feed ours (and mine who has PSD as an 11yo) TopSpec 10:10 joint supplement which seems pretty good, they also get linseed oil and a broad spectrum multi vit and min supplement.

luce1

Visit site
Hello, My Eventer is 18 this year!
We are preparing for another season Eventing. He is currently quite fit, but now I will start to up his work to include 2 hour hack sessions a couple of times a week with fast work. He jumps once a week and is schooled 1/2 a week.
He is on NAF In the Pink Senior and Cortaflex... As he is older, I find he keeps his fitness alot easier and doesnt take him that long to get there after a holiday. I will only doing BE100 with him (he is an intermiadte horse but I am woss!) but I will get him Novice fit just for my own piece of mind as he is a bit older.
Hope this helps!! :D

Polotash

Visit site
I think turnout is the key for a lot of older horses, the less they stand still in stables the better...

Feed wise my 17.2 KWPN (17 this year) has "standard" feed - alfa oil, sugar beet and competition mix, plus linseed and codliver oil. He is fighting fit, but should he need it in the future he'll go into Cortaflex or similar. He is competing Elem/ Medium.

My older polo pony (22 this year) has the same feed too - I have tried bute free on her in the past but couldn't see any difference, so if she looks especially stiff I'll give her a bute as an anti inflam and pain killer. She has an old fetlock and tendon injury though, so a slightly different case.

Work wise the polo pony just hacks 3-4 times a week and has one schooling session a week to keep her supple. The WB hacks 3-4 times a week also, and has one or two schooling sessions a week.