How do your eventers come out of the season?

paddi22

Visit site
Just wondering how people find their eventers feeling coming close to the end of the season. I have an older eventer and he is coming out of the season feeling a bit flat and unmotivated in himself. he's totally lost his sparkle and cheekiness to pull into fences. We did a full season with events every two weeks, we started very easy at the lowest level and then moved up two levels to trickier courses. I don't know if his flatness is just due to needing a break, or if the higher levels are too much of a push for him mentally, or if physicaly its just too much for him as he is 16.

Its the first full harder season he has done (he always has gotten random injuries that cut us short the last few years). Before that we just messed around tiny courses for a few years to school. This is the first year he has really been challenged mentally and physically.

My other eventer is a baby just starting out, but she's absolutely thrived on everything thrown at her and has finished the season still fighting raring to go, but I know she's a younger body! I had assumed she's be mentally wrecked cause everything got thrown at her this year. It just threw me as I thought she'd be the tired one, not him (as he knows his job)

So just curious what state mentally and physically other people find their eventers finishing a full season (and doing it fulltime, not the odd one)

Last edited:

Asha

Visit site
It was my youngsters (6yo) first season , she started off very baby like , she did three 80’s then did two 90s . ( Basically one a month ) She did her last event yesterday , an 80 class and stormed it .shes grown in confidence as well as physically and has finished on a high . So next few weeks will be a bit of hacking and light work , and then given a month or so off . We could have pushed her to finish on a 100 , but thought we’d finish it with a smaller class and leave her happy and confident.
I can’t offer any advice as we are total newbies to eventing , but I am happy with th choices we made for her .

paddi22

Visit site
yeah my baby was the same. she totally finished on a high. whereas with the other one I feel like im dragging him across the finish line! The aim for the baby was to get her jumping this year and start doing a 70s event league in spring and now we are looking at doing the 90s in spring and going affiliated by end of year. I thought she would be the one dying for a break! I was just so curious how other peoples horses find the season!

TGM

Visit site
We have an older eventer too (15) and he has just finished his season feeling very well! However he started the season late due to daughter's final uni exams so has actually only done six events (four Novice plus 2 CIC*).

Asha

Visit site
I was wondering the same , as I wasn’t sure if we had over or under done it with her. I’d seen others move up the levels faster . But I decided id rather do not enough and leave it with her wanting more . She did a few bs classes too , which I think helped , as the jumps always looked small . Sounds like your youngster has thoroughly enjoyed herself as well . Good luck next year .

gunnergundog

Visit site
Assuming sound, any jaded eventers used to be given a few days hunting to put a smile back on their face so that they were mentally in a good place before being wound down and roughed off for a holiday. Advanced horses would then be brought up again 1st Jan if we wanted to start the season early and had specific events to target; lower level horses that weren't being campaigned so seriously were left a bit longer.

paddi22

Visit site
Assuming sound, any jaded eventers used to be given a few days hunting to put a smile back on their face so that they were mentally in a good place before being wound down and roughed off for a holiday. Advanced horses would then be brought up again 1st Jan if we wanted to start the season early and had specific events to target; lower level horses that weren't being campaigned so seriously were left a bit longer.

Thats really interesting. He usually absolutely loves and machines around xc courses, and it just feels like he's gone into job mode with it. A few fun rides to get his blood up again might be just the thing! He had lowel level kissing spine, so i've been advised to not give him more that 2 weeks off. So maybe its a case of a targeting a few bigger events and then breaking up the season with fun instead of doing such a regular amount of events.

ihatework

Visit site
Thats really interesting. He usually absolutely loves and machines around xc courses, and it just feels like he's gone into job mode with it. A few fun rides to get his blood up again might be just the thing! He had lowel level kissing spine, so i've been advised to not give him more that 2 weeks off. So maybe its a case of a targeting a few bigger events and then breaking up the season with fun instead of doing such a regular amount of events.

Any horse that is running a full season I would always structure so that you ran them in 2-3 ‘periods’. I wouldn’t want them at peak fitness March-October, that’s too much intensity. Build in quieter spells where they get a week off, do stretchy work, fun stuff and back off schooling intensity and galloping.

ETA my big young horse is on holiday now/early. He only did 3 events in quick succession - showed us what we needed to know and then I felt it was better he had a proper break (not had one for the 12 months since backing) rather than finishing the season. He will however come in earlier than some (November), because due to his size he needs long slow fittening.

The horses who have done September 3 days are now let down but again will come in slightly earlier for early CIC runs.

The Novice/Int horses are seeing the season out and will be left a bit later to come back in

Last edited:

paddi22

Visit site
yeah that totally makes sense, i think I just ran too regularly and its gone repetitive now, that sounds like a much better way to do it.

Templebar

Visit site
I would think if you competed every two weeks with i assumed schooling in between, its become repetitive and he is starting to go a bit sour. I would definitely go and do something where the pressure is completely off, either some fun rides or hunting. My mares have always liked this as they don't mentally have to do very much its a bit off fun and you don't give them pressure vibes either.

I did about once every two weeks from early may-june and then did only a little through july before picking up again in august, where on the bank holiday monday she flew round a 90 feeling very up for it. If going right the way through i would either have competed once a month eventing with a sj comp between, or done some fun rides. I also like autumn hunting for a pick me up, a couple of quiet mornings, she sees hounds and will go to the next thing bounding.

paddi22

Visit site
thanks for the advice, its really useful :) It's that 'bounce' that he's lost!

I'l give him a fun ride or two where he can have a blast and then let him off for two weeks hols. And just have fun over winter until spring league starts in feb. No harm to be pickier about what events I go to and aim for more specific goals. It's great getting peoples experiences here.

paddi22

Visit site
Just to pick people's brains as this has been really educational for me!. How would you structure a season with:

Older horse
- a 5 week spring league at one star height (i assume he'd be out jumping courses the weeks before)
- aim to do a 2 star. have no intention of doing them regularly. he's 16 and a bit of a crock so realistically just want to do one to feel that i got him there!
- get three qualifying scores at a metre for the championships (this would be an easy ask of him, so would prob take 4 shows max). then champ show in sept

Younger horse
- 5 week 80s eventing league in spring just to get to feel out where she is at. this would be a slight push but not too far for her
- Then just want to do unaffiliated 80s courses to get her used to all obstacles and ground, and get her brain used to the dressage
- No real goal to aim her at, really just want mileage and experience on her

What way would you's structure the year if they were yours? Older horse can't have more than two weeks off ever. and younger mare is a buzzy mad little thing.

paddi22

Visit site
ah theres a spring league here (ireland) in february. starts mid feb i think and runs on a surface for all parts.
Its unaffiliated, so wanted to run the baby horse on it so she can make mistakes with no record!

Michen

Visit site
Any horse that is running a full season I would always structure so that you ran them in 2-3 ‘periods’. I wouldn’t want them at peak fitness March-October, that’s too much intensity. Build in quieter spells where they get a week off, do stretchy work, fun stuff and back off schooling intensity and galloping.

ETA my big young horse is on holiday now/early. He only did 3 events in quick succession - showed us what we needed to know and then I felt it was better he had a proper break (not had one for the 12 months since backing) rather than finishing the season. He will however come in earlier than some (November), because due to his size he needs long slow fittening.

The horses who have done September 3 days are now let down but again will come in slightly earlier for early CIC runs.

The Novice/Int horses are seeing the season out and will be left a bit later to come back in

Are those your horses IHW, the 3 says and novice/int horses? Fascinating to hear point of view of someone with so many horses in competition livery at different levels. Do you choose what events they go to/when or is it advised by the rider?

ihatework

Visit site
Are those your horses IHW, the 3 says and novice/int horses? Fascinating to hear point of view of someone with so many horses in competition livery at different levels. Do you choose what events they go to/when or is it advised by the rider?

No not mine at all! I only have 1 in work.
Just observation of a friend, sorry to have misled!

ETA - Paddi22
Older horse - I would try and decide what your priority is, jumping a 2* while he is sound enough or chasing around 1m courses. Does the horse really need all that 1m mileage in his legs if you are genuinely aiming at 2*? In my mind, especially when they get older, there are only so many jumps in them - use them wisely.

The young horse, play it by ear. Sometimes less is more. She how she comes out and focus on the weak areas.

Last edited:

Bob notacob

Visit site
Dont bloody ask! 3 horses zero runs . I want to tear somebody's head off (and I,m just the coach) Please dont go near my rider with anything resembling a sharp object.!!!!

Ambers Echo

Visit site
This is really interesting as I am totally new to eventing and the idea of 'structuring a season' is not something I have ever really thought about. Previous horses have all just done a bit of everything all year round with some time off over winter when the weather is bad.

Amber has done 6 BE80s - about 1 a month. In between she has done a reasonable amount of lessons, clinics, schooling and hacking but only one SJ comp. She seems fit and well and full of beans. I was going to start showjumping her and taking her to some dresssage comps over the winter but does she now need a a proper break - eg a month off all work or a month of just hacking? The events did not seem to particularly stress her either physically or mentally as they were well within her capabilities and well spaced out but I want her fresh and happy next season too.

Michen

Visit site
This is really interesting as I am totally new to eventing and the idea of 'structuring a season' is not something I have ever really thought about. Previous horses have all just done a bit of everything all year round with some time off over winter when the weather is bad.

Amber has done 6 BE80s - about 1 a month. In between she has done a reasonable amount of lessons, clinics, schooling and hacking but only one SJ comp. She seems fit and well and full of beans. I was going to start showjumping her and taking her to some dresssage comps over the winter but does she now need a a proper break - eg a month off all work or a month of just hacking? The events did not seem to particularly stress her either physically or mentally as they were well within her capabilities and well spaced out but I want her fresh and happy next season too.

Mine has done about double that re number of events, some at 90. I don’t think they have to have a break, this level is hardly taxing so I think whatever works for you personally. You might quite enjoy a month of pressure off. I’m having a lot of fun at the moment autumn hunting, dithering over entering one more event but unlikely I will as actually can’t be bothered!! Mine is very sharp and does benefit from lots of work though, if I felt he’d happily hack for a month I’d do it but actually I think when he has a break he will be better not ridden at all rather than using his imagination to make things more “fun”!

paddi22

Visit site
No not mine at all! I only have 1 in work.
Just observation of a friend, sorry to have misled!

ETA - Paddi22
Older horse - I would try and decide what your priority is, jumping a 2* while he is sound enough or chasing around 1m courses. Does the horse really need all that 1m mileage in his legs if you are genuinely aiming at 2*? In my mind, especially when they get older, there are only so many jumps in them - use them wisely.

The young horse, play it by ear. Sometimes less is more. She how she comes out and focus on the weak areas.

yeah im totally torn about it. My gut feeling is it could be my last year or two with him in work, as his physical issues will start to kick in a bit more with age and I will have to start winding him down then. The two star is just always been my dream, I wouldn't even aim to be competitive in it, id just want to complete one to tick it off the bucket list. I think you are right about the mileage and being pickier though. I think il aim to start the season strong and do a high level one as soon as i can, and then take the pressure off and play it by ear with him.

The conversation has been really interesting as I always assumed keeping them in regular (but not every week regular!) events at a manageable level for them would be the smoothest track for the season. has been enlightenting to get other views on it.

hati

community.webshots.com
yeah im totally torn about it. My gut feeling is it could be my last year or two with him in work, as his physical issues will start to kick in a bit more with age and I will have to start winding him down then. The two star is just always been my dream, I wouldn't even aim to be competitive in it, id just want to complete one to tick it off the bucket list. I think you are right about the mileage and being pickier though. I think il aim to start the season strong and do a high level one as soon as i can, and then take the pressure off and play it by ear with him.

The conversation has been really interesting as I always assumed keeping them in regular (but not every week regular!) events at a manageable level for them would be the smoothest track for the season. has been enlightenting to get other views on it.

I recognise your photo from Punchestown last year! I am also based in Ireland - do you do the amateur classes?

I think if you want to aim for a 2*, I would prioritise that and work back from the event in terms of fitness, schooling etc. I personally feel that once you get to Novice / 1* level there are only so many runs in each horse each season and if you want to try a 2* I would forgo a lot of 100 runs and go schooling for what you are aiming for (If that makes sense). I am also looking to go 2* next season (I had hoped to go to Grove at the weekend and do it there, but the mare picked up a virus in Milstreet and is out for a few weeks) and I will pick the event in the late spring and work back from that in terms of events and schooling sessions.

With the 1* mare, run her maybe every 2 weeks at the start of the season (say for 3 events ) and then it can be every month after that depending on what I am aiming for. Remember also the amount of schooling as you go up the levels is harder on them and therefore you don't need to run them as much....but it depends on each horse.

I might see you at some events next season -I will be the one vomiting before the 2* SJ, being warmed up by Sarah Ennis (hopefully).

paddi22

Visit site
you look really familiar as well! yep i do the amateur classes.I think you're right, I just need to go back to the drawing board as I fecked up this season completely, if I'd been picky of venues and ground I'd have had a better season. He finished off well at Grove last week, so might just start with a 1 star start of season and be super picky after that. It's been a big learning curve this year!

hati

community.webshots.com
you look really familiar as well! yep i do the amateur classes.I think you're right, I just need to go back to the drawing board as I fecked up this season completely, if I'd been picky of venues and ground I'd have had a better season. He finished off well at Grove last week, so might just start with a 1 star start of season and be super picky after that. It's been a big learning curve this year!

Balief Clover aka heidi is my pony!
the key is to be picky and choose your events carefully, depending on the ground, course etc and not running for the sake of running.....well done at Grove and hope to see you out at some of the events next season! It seems a long time till next March!

paddi22

Visit site
Ah no way! yep I have seen you going around, you always look amazing!

Yep roll on 2019 and a better plan! Avoid the total non-goal-achieviness of this year :)

Michen

Visit site
that horse looks like its happily waiting to load up and go off again!

He does and he would! I had planned a few more events but didn't bother in the end as having lots of fun autumn hunting and actually really enjoying no more pressure etc. Lots of beach rides, fun hacks, etc etc. Completely the opposite to the plan i had to shove him in a field for a month!

Charmin

Visit site
My mare has done 6 BE90's this season - plan was 7 (Weston Park) this weekend but my surgery was brought forward. Ruby is extremely fit and buzzy - loved her last event at Kelsall and tanked around the cross country. Also took her cross country schooling last weekend and popped over the 100s. I had planned to wind her down after events and ahead of surgery, but things ran away with me and I now have a very fit mare in the field causing mischief. She's out 24/7 hopefully until mid-November, and I'm hoping she'll have lost her fitness by then!

My 4.y.o was broken this Spring and has been extremely sweet all summer with lots of hacking and twenty minutes here and there in the school. He's now been turned away as well.

Hopefully I'll be back on board February/March time ready for Somerford in May - and will be hoping to get baby pony jumping a bit and perhaps out at unaffiliated events towards the end of the season. The plan with Ruby is some more 90s and, if I buck up my ideas and my brave pants, a 100!! She's only 14.2 and I am 5'7 so this could be a bit adventurous.