How does everyone prepare and deal with winter months????

Littlemissmerlin

Visit site
Hi all, as the title says!! This is my first winter in over 10 years of owning my own horses at home. I've tried to prepare as much as I can. But the muddy, boggy fields and the shorter days are so depressing. And I seem to have all of a sudden got OCD! How does everyone else deal with the winter months? What's your winter routine? Please any advice and tips on how to do my best during these horrible months will be much appreciated :)

LeannePip

Visit site
Put your horse on Part Livery ;)

try and be a little less OCD sweep the yard when its needed don't waste riding time sweeping! do as much at the weekends as you can fill as many haynets as possible, deep litter the beds where possible just skip and tidy the beds during the week and dig out at weekends.

cant think of any more! been a long time since i did my horse in the dark! always kept her wherever i was working so either did her as part of the working day or at lunch time! back in an office job now and shes on part livery so just ride in the evenings groom after i've ridden then DIY at weekends :)

Joandripple

Visit site
I try not to change my routine too much. In the summer my boy is out at night and normally I would fetch in, groom, ride then feed and put to bed for day with hay. Then turn out late afternoon/ early evening.

But in winter, we feed breakie and hay, normally ride, turn out, muck out. Bring in at about 3pm, change rugs etc and hay. Feed about 6.30 and more hay and bed!

Yesterday he stayed in a bit longer cos of the wind, but still managed to go out for four hours or so. He will stay in during the day if the weather dictates, but I will lunge or turn out in ménage for a leg stretch on those days (obviously if we can get out of the stable safely!). I am a great believer that horses should get some turn out as a must! A couple of years ago I was at a yard that rented fields and they were shut from November to April and my boy was so depressed it was untrue! So I moved yards ASAP!

I am sure you will do the best for your GG's and a routine will quickly form that suits both u and them! Just remember it is only for about 5 months then you have the summer to enjoy! X

Cobiau Cymreig Wyllt

Visit site
I've got to be honest and say I am actually looking forward to this winter...not only do I like the getting wrapped up cosy and being out there with them, this year they are on grazing that is a million times better ( mountain side, well draining) than the bog hell I was trying get them out of last year. (during the wettest year on record, utter hell) Plus our grazing landlord farmer this year is lovely, reasonable and a joy to deal with. PLUS I have no field sharer to deal with any more...which means that unlike the last two winters where I was needing to feed mine but hers wasn't being fed, which i either had to separate them to feed twice daily, couldn't do ad lib or basically feed her horse for free...or chase her for money all the time..stress on a stick...so this winter i can just begin ad lib feeding when i deem necessary, no stress..also plus, I finally found my ideal winter outdoor gear combo including the wonderful muck boots...
so the only thing I can say is to try to find all the positives about your situation and hang on to them...do what you need to without making it harder for yourself (I'm pregnant this winter but still not dreading it as am learning the art of giving oneself an easier life)...often it's the anticipation of something being bad rather than the actuality..

MochaDun

Visit site
I find the winter really hard too as don't do well in the cold. I've just asked my employer if I can work 8am to 4.30pm to give me a vague chance of not being at the yard til gone 7.30pm at night in the cold and too dark. Horse is seen to in the morning by the yard so I just have to sort him in the evening but also need to be able to help others that will help me with bringing in etc.

Other good practical things I'd say are:

Wear lots of layers and invest in very good gloves - I have a pair of ones that mountaineers use, bit cumbersome but only thing that helps my hands when it drops below freezing. Same goes for some decent thermals - you can get very good cheap ones from Sainsburys TU range etc. Who cares if you look like Michelin man as long as you are warm. Decent hat too and maybe a snood.
Invest in decent warm wellies - or boots with some sort of thermal lining - I get chilblains so will do anything I can to avoid those!
Do as much as you can for the weekday evenings ahead at weekends, ie, maybe prepare your feeds for the week ahead into poly bags made up so you just have to put them in the bowl and add water etc. Also maybe do a few extra haynets so you're ahead of yourself.
Deep litter and then only take out wet at weekends.
Get a decent head torch or torch.
Have easily portable water containers that you can actually carry for when taps freeze. I got 3-4 of those large square mineral water containers - think they hold about 5 or 6 litres? Drank the mineral water and then I can fill them and carry two as have plastic carry handle and 3 of them will fill a medium size trug.
Get an insulated cup you can take a hot drink in to the yard if you don't have a nice tack or feed room where you can boil a kettle and get a hot drink or cuppa soup.
Get plenty sleep :)

The weather has been kind to us so far this year and we've got to nearly November with nothing too awful beyond yesterday and a real chill in the air tonight so think of it now as just 16 weeks to endure and the clocks will change again and the sun will start to show itself :)

Littlemissmerlin

Visit site
I think he is happier out when there is grass to eat. But as his field has turned into bog/pond and he knows there is a juicy haynet waiting in the stable. So he doesn't mind coming in! He is such a laid back chap! He is easily adaptable! I noticed his back legs looked a little puffy this morning. I suppose that from standing in his stable? They were back to normal this evening!

now_loves_mares

Visit site
Unlike others I don't tend to kill myself at the weekends filling 20 Haynets and poo picking a weeks worth. I prefer to get everything I can done every morning, so that evenings are just Taking them in and feeding. A very good head torch is essential, of course. 7 day mud-away helps! And keep reminding yourself that 7pm is the same in summer and winter. This for me is the biggie, rather than feeling that darkness changes what you can do of an evening. Otherwise I'd be sofa bound for most of the winter.

Littlemissmerlin

Visit site
Other good practical things I'd say are:

Wear lots of layers and invest in very good gloves - I have a pair of ones that mountaineers use, bit cumbersome but only thing that helps my hands when it drops below freezing. Same goes for some decent thermals - you can get very good cheap ones from Sainsburys TU range etc. Who cares if you look like Michelin man as long as you are warm. Decent hat too and maybe a snood.
Invest in decent warm wellies - or boots with some sort of thermal lining - I get chilblains so will do anything I can to avoid those!
Do as much as you can for the weekday evenings ahead at weekends, ie, maybe prepare your feeds for the week ahead into poly bags made up so you just have to put them in the bowl and add water etc. Also maybe do a few extra haynets so you're ahead of yourself.
Deep litter and then only take out wet at weekends.
Get a decent head torch or torch.
Have easily portable water containers that you can actually carry for when taps freeze. I got 3-4 of those large square mineral water containers - think they hold about 5 or 6 litres? Drank the mineral water and then I can fill them and carry two as have plastic carry handle and 3 of them will fill a medium size trug.
Get an insulated cup you can take a hot drink in to the yard if you don't have a nice tack or feed room where you can boil a kettle and get a hot drink or cuppa soup.
Get plenty sleep :)

The weather has been kind to us so far this year and we've got to nearly November with nothing too awful beyond yesterday and a real chill in the air tonight so think of it now as just 16 weeks to endure and the clocks will change again and the sun will start to show itself :)
Fab answer:)Thanks! I'm making notes as to what I need to get. Haha !! My poor husband must be feed up with me nagging him to help me prepare the stables and feed room Bless him! Unfortunately I don't have any thing posh. Just a basic feed room and 2 stable on the side of the field. So mud all around! But I'm lucky to have that!

Last edited:

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
It's not an easy time of year, and it's our busy time at work too (feed merchants!), our horses all live out on our own land a mile from home, and we 'do' them on the way to and from work. It's inevitable that I only see them in daylight once a day. Head torch is imperative (they get used to it, get one with an infrared setting on it, this doesn't spook them so much and still gives you a far bit of light). As we get further into winter we'll buy big bale haylage which we collect. All good doers, they don't get fed every day and riding understandably goes by the wayside, we got out this weekend for 30 minutes in strong winds on Sunday, that was the first time we'd ridden for a fortnight, thankfully my four year old is unfazed by long breaks in his education!

Littlemissmerlin

Visit site
It's not an easy time of year, and it's our busy time at work too (feed merchants!), our horses all live out on our own land a mile from home, and we 'do' them on the way to and from work. It's inevitable that I only see them in daylight once a day. Head torch is imperative (they get used to it, get one with an infrared setting on it, this doesn't spook them so much and still gives you a far bit of light). As we get further into winter we'll buy big bale haylage which we collect. All good doers, they don't get fed every day and riding understandably goes by the wayside, we got out this weekend for 30 minutes in strong winds on Sunday, that was the first time we'd ridden for a fortnight, thankfully my four year old is unfazed by long breaks in his education!
Winter time is my busiest time of the year too. Also my husbands quieter time on the farm. But he isn't so keen to help! I'm self employed, which is great in someways and not so great in others. I'm making a list of things I need and a head touch is coming out tops.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Fill up a weeks worth of nets, four out of six of mine are deep littered shavings so only get skipped out and then top bed up once a week to fluff it up. The other two are on straw, skipped out during the week, they had huge banks so I can bring more down on to the bed if needed, then fully mucked out at weekend. I am also for the first time ever leaving the, in their outdoor rugs at night, they are cozy warm and it saves time at both ends of the day.

When it freezes I have four huge tub trugs filled up with water stored inthe warm part of the stable block so doesn't freeze.

pottamus

Visit site
Take each days weather as it comes, wrap up very warm, paying particular attention to decent gloves and socks. Minatures of whisky in my barn...for very cold evenings! To be honest I am sooooooooo lucky this year as we have finally managed to build a stable opposite our house, so my life will be easier in the worst of the weather rather than struggling down the road in the ice and snow.
I also have things like waterproof trousers and cramp ons for my boots.

star26

Visit site
Some good tips on here, I also fill up a weeks worth of hay nets at a time (usually sun eve)- saves me a bit of time in the week.

A decent head-torch is a must- think I got mine in a camping shop.
Ear warmers are also great to keep you warm.

My absolute best find from last winter has to be my pair of heat-holders tights. They are amazeballs! I wear them under my jods/jeans/cords and they keep me soooooo warm and toasty- a real must have item for me!

I also keep a choc stash in my store room- can't beat a mid-muck-out kit kat! Lol

charli_

Visit site
Some good tips on here, I also fill up a weeks worth of hay nets at a time (usually sun eve)- saves me a bit of time in the week.

A decent head-torch is a must- think I got mine in a camping shop.
Ear warmers are also great to keep you warm.

My absolute best find from last winter has to be my pair of heat-holders tights. They are amazeballs! I wear them under my jods/jeans/cords and they keep me soooooo warm and toasty- a real must have item for me!

I also keep a choc stash in my store room- can't beat a mid-muck-out kit kat! Lol

Have decided I'm making a secret stash of hot choc powder a must. Am lucky enough to have a kettle so will no doubt put on some winter weight! Oh well! :D

fattylumpkin

www.thestoryofhorses.com
Definite yes to stashing hot chocolate packets up at the yard :D Winter here in Sweden gets a bit intense, -15 and several feet of snow most days, so lack of preparation really can kill you or cause serious damage. And the horses must be seen to more thoroughly than in summer, everything is harder and takes longer.

1. I root out all my thermal underwear and wool socks. I check how many I have left, bin any that are dead/dying and invest in some new ones. I also buy new insoles for all my thermal boots.
2. Reproof all my boots, jackets and coats.
3. Buy a new box of pocket handwarmers.
4. Last bath of the year! All the horses on the yard get a really good scrubbing from top to toe.
5. Bring out the 'winter' tack, ie old, banged up or scrappy looking stuff I don't care about. Cold temperatures are not kind to leather.
6. Store away all the gel saddle pads indoors. If left in the tack room they turn solid and it destroys them, even though our tackroom has a heater.
7. Rug wash! All my girl's rugs get a wash, luckily we live in an apartment with laundry facilities so we get to use the huge machines and the drying room downstairs.
8. Cover any hollows or muddy areas around the yard and road leading up with gravel.
9. YO gets together some safe brances with lots of stringy bark, we cast these around the fields when the snow comes and the horses rip the bark off for entertainment.
10. Pray for a short winter!

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I prefer winter to summer: no flies for a start! Our horses work all summer, so winter is a more relaxing time in a way, when we can concentrate on training or give some time off if needed. Having all supplies in the barn, a regular routine and a Plan means we can approach winter with relish. Hot whiskeys help too :)

Turks

Visit site
I have pathetic hands but seem to manage fine doing yard jobs in Atlas 370 gloves. I now wear them year round as they are great for farm jobs, give you loads of grip and keep my nails clean. They are great for fiddly little jobs and buckles too. I can't abide by thick gloves you can't do anything in!

There is all the gear out there to keep you warm if you can afford it these days - doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg either.

I always stick extra (good) insoles in my wellies and just live in them happily for farm/horse jobs.

I am lucky in that I can keep ours out all winter. The only time they really want to come in is for the summer flies. I think they are much better off out and moving but sometimes mud fever beats me.

I made some v. cheap arena lights digging in barrels and concreting telegraph poles in. Did 2 - loads of blooming digging so thought that would do!

lhotse

Visit site
I have the Met Office website set to favourites and check it daily!! For instance, today is bright and sunny but it's been very windy so no riding, but have taken the chance to sweep all the leaves off the yard instead. Don't get too het up about riding everyday, mine will get ridden when the weather is ok, don't mind rain but wind is a no no. Headtorch is essential, even if you have lighting, it means you can really see what you are looking at. Keep everything tidy, too much time is wasted by moving everything around to find one item! Fill water containers before the tap freezes, and put a bag full of shredded paper over said tap and tie it on. This will insulate it!! Make sure the kettle is full before nightfall.

Wool socks, thermal leggings under jods, snoods and always wear a hat. Bodyshop Hemp handcream and plenty of lipbalm. Garlic capsules to keep away chilblains.

I actually don't mind winter, mine are stabled at night all year round anyway so there isn't actually any more work to do, just adverse conditions to do it in!!

Adopter

Visit site
Last winter was my first after a break too, best thing I did was get in extra water buckets for when water froze so I could fill them up in warmth and then do one big ferry across the yard! I also found two thin pairs of gloves kept my fingers warm, I used a pair of those stretch magic gloves and a pair of gardening gloves on top, bought some muck boots with a fleece lining and was all set in the snow, wind and rain.

I organised my feed/hay store under one roof, and made sure stable yard is as sheltered as possible putting up wind breaks, its now the most sheltered area on the property!

Not every day is bad weather there are some lovely crisp winter days to enjoy.

Last edited:

Spring Feather

Visit site
Our ground freezes solid every winter to about 3ft down so we have to make sure everything that may need to be in or out of the ground by winter, is. So any new fence posts, water lines (down to 6ft), electrical lines etc must be in by December at the very latest otherwise forget it till May or June when the ground defrosts.

I dig out all the rugs in late Fall and make sure any that need repairs etc are good and ready.

I turn on the thermostats for all of our automatic heated drinkers in our fields so the water doesn't freeze.

I dig out all my winter outdoor clothes and boots.

That's it really.