How does Flypor work? *stupidity alert!*

HaffiesRock

Visit site
Hairy pony started itching at the end of last week. I had hoped it was the start of moulting, but it was in fact lice. A quick call to the vets had me collecting Flypor for both ponies. I dully applied it as per the vets instructions, but my mind cannot work out how such a small amount of liquid can kill lice all over the body?

Please, someone tell an idiot how this works? And how quickly?

Thanks.

Spreebok

Visit site
My guess would be it's the same as things like Advocate and Frontline for small animals, gets into the skin/blood/fat layers so that when the lice bite, they get a hearty dose of liquid death. That's my assumption though, could be utterly, terribly wrong lmao :D

HaffiesRock

Visit site
Thanks both. It's been on since 5pm last night. I hope she is starting to feel some relief. My fence cannot take any more use as a scratch post!

Can I ask where you buy it from where you don't need to prove you have cows. Worked out pretty expensive from the vets!

Notimetoride

Visit site
Your local agricultural merchant, but sometimes you get asked where the 'cows' are kept. I'm not a v good liar so when I'm not feeling brave I just get it online. It's jolly expensive but lasts ages. I use I think about 60ml once a week or fortnight (monthly just doesn't work so good, but that's what the instructions say)

CharliePonyPops

Visit site
Hi guys I hate to be the bearer of bad news but this product is not licenced for horses by the maker. Not only buying it for equines without your vets giving you a prescription can be incredibly dangerous as your horse could experience really bad side effects but it is also illegal and could land the company you have bought it from in big trouble! Your vet will have prescribed if off licence which only they have the authority do, anyone in a tack shop or ag merchants is not authorised to do this and could end up getting their licence to sell wormers revoked at the very least if they sell you this product for a horse. The trade bodies that patrol this are really strict!

Notimetoride

Visit site
Yes I know it's only licenced for cows. It used to be licenced for both equine and bovines but licence was v expensive for equines (I was told by a reliable source). My vet recommended it to me off the record years ago and explained that if my horse keeled over there would be no come back on the makers of the product. I did a patch test first, with no side effects, and proceeded to use the product with great success, at the dosage recommended by the vet, and from a liability angle, I accept full responsibility for any adverse reaction that may be suffered by my horse (absolutely none in 10 years use and 6 horses) I find it far better than any equine fly repellent on the market.

CharliePonyPops

Visit site
Notimetoride I was only making the point that not everyone would consult their vet or take the time as you have done to follow their advice. I am qualified to sell these products and from my point of view people lying is a nightmare as it is my qualification on the line. I am also sure it is a better than the equine products just please consult your vet first.

HaffiesRock

Visit site
Just a quick update, the Flypor worked brilliantly! I applied it on Tuesday evening to a very grumpy, itchy pony. Left her to it on Wednesday and yesterday afternoon I brought her in and had a seriously good rummage in her coat and didn't find a single crawly anywhere! She looks much happier now, but does have a strange smell about her? Not a bad small, just not her normal smell? She has also started to drop her winter coat too so the Furminator will be out soon. I have a second dose to give in a couple of weeks and I will be keeping a close eye on both ponies now.

I may ask the vet if I can buy a bottle if I am not able to get it anywhere else.

Notimetoride

Visit site
Just a quick update, the Flypor worked brilliantly! I applied it on Tuesday evening to a very grumpy, itchy pony. Left her to it on Wednesday and yesterday afternoon I brought her in and had a seriously good rummage in her coat and didn't find a single crawly anywhere! She looks much happier now, but does have a strange smell about her? Not a bad small, just not her normal smell? She has also started to drop her winter coat too so the Furminator will be out soon. I have a second dose to give in a couple of weeks and I will be keeping a close eye on both ponies now.

I may ask the vet if I can buy a bottle if I am not able to get it anywhere else.

Great !! Glad you've had success with it and now have a happy pony :)