How does he look?? (condition/confo pics)

vikkiandmonica

Visit site
Hey, just wondered if anyone could give me any constructive criticism about Wings' weight/condition, and also conformation?

Also, any advice as to how to improve any problems/weaknesses you see would be very appreciated.

Wingsconformation.png

(sorry for the sweat patches, and the tired horse wearing OR boots, he'd just been ridden :D )

Thanks for any advice and help :)

Geegeesarah

Visit site
I think he looks lovely, very similar to one of mine. I am not very good at this. But weight and condtion look great to me. Sorry I'm not of more use but hopefully I have bumped it up abit more

mulledwhine

Visit site
I also do not know much about it, but I know what I like!!!!!!

I think he looks absolutly fine, but would I be right from thinking ( it is probably the angle of the photo) that perhaps he is a tad short in the neck?, but that is just my opinion

Lovely horse though

vikkiandmonica

Visit site
daisydo - it must be the angle, when you start riding him and when he stretches long and low he has a very long neck :p

horselover360 - I do pretty much everything with him, ODE, show jumping, hacks, shows, xc (all just little local stuff), but do what to do affiliated BS with him in the summer, and maybe do BD too as he does have pretty nice paces.

Thanks for the help and compliments :D

Just seen your post daisydo - thanks! Haha, if you'd said that a year and a half ago you could have had him!! (was scared of jumps, bushes, everything), but now he's more confident and is a very cocky bugger now, so I'm keeping him :D

mulledwhine

Visit site
daisydo - it must be the angle, when you start riding him and when he stretches long and low he has a very long neck :p

horselover360 - I do pretty much everything with him, ODE, show jumping, hacks, shows, xc (all just little local stuff), but do what to do affiliated BS with him in the summer, and maybe do BD too as he does have pretty nice paces.

Thanks for the help and compliments :D

Just seen your post daisydo - thanks! Haha, if you'd said that a year and a half ago you could have had him!! (was scared of jumps, bushes, everything), but now he's more confident and is a very cocky bugger now, so I'm keeping him :D

Look into my eyes, cast you mind back to a year and a half ago ....... LOL

Bay_Beasty

Visit site
Hi, I like him but I think he could do with a bit more muscle on his neck, more topline muscle. but I am getting so distracted by the little bit of hair over his neck, weird, would not of thought would make so much difference :) :D, lol. I am very tired. Confo, he could possiblt be a bit camped out behind, but again might just be the angle of the pic and his tail is set quite low. But he is nicely covered for this time of year and I like his face. He looks well. How old is he and what do you do feed him, just out of interest. I like him though, alot.

vikkiandmonica

Visit site
daisydo - leave it, he's mine! :D

bay_beasty - yeah, sorry about the hair, dunno why that one bit was on that side when the rest is on the other. What do you mean by camped out behind?

He is 11 years, gets fed alfa a, fast fibre and calm and condition (1 scoop of each a day) along with pink powder, superflex and sunflower oil :D

Bowen4Horses

www.poppywebber.co.uk
nice little man.

i wouldn't want to see anymore weight on him, but as we're going into winter that's not so terrible. :)

and he could probably do with a bit more muscle along the top of his neck, as it's a little bit lacking in topline/bottom heavy.

he looks lovely! x

vikkiandmonica

Visit site
Thanks! Yeah, he doesn't have masses of muscle along the top of his neck, but what he does have is solid!! I'm working him in a deeper outline at the minute, so hopefully this will help build up his neck muscle, however we do warm up long and low, so this will hopefully help me with topline :)

Bay_Beasty

Visit site
taken from Wiki

Camped out means
Cannon and fetlock are “behind” the plumb line dropped from point of buttock. Associated with upright rear pasterns.
Seen especially in Gaited horses, Morgans, and Thoroughbreds.
Rear leg moves with greater swing before the hoof contacts the ground, which wastes energy, reduces stride efficiency, and increases osculation and vibrations felt in joints, tendons, ligaments, and hoof. May cause quarter cracks and arthritis.
Difficult to bring the hocks and cannons under unless the horse makes a sickle hocked configuration. Thus, the trot is inhibited by long, overangulation of the legs and the horse trots with a flat stride with the legs strung out behind.
It is difficult to engage the back or haunches, so it is hard to do upper level dressage movements, bascule over jumps, or gallop efficiently.

here is a pic of a camped out horse

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mangalarga_Marchador_Conformação.jpg

I only say yours is possibly slightly, but it might be the photo that is giving him this look .He looks really well on that feed doesnt he. Nice boy, lovely and shiny. :D

vikkiandmonica

Visit site
Thanks daisydo, he is a babe :D

baybeasty - thanks for that, dunno if it is just the picture because he finds it easy to track up in trot (and has a very good free walk as can overtrack quite easily), but if you think he is slightly, than that's fine.

Yeah, that feed is good, and pretty cheap, yet goes a long way! :D

mulledwhine

Visit site
Thanks daisydo, he is a babe :D

baybeasty - thanks for that, dunno if it is just the picture because he finds it easy to track up in trot (and has a very good free walk as can overtrack quite easily), but if you think he is slightly, than that's fine.

Yeah, that feed is good, and pretty cheap, yet goes a long way! :D

What feed is good and cheap? please share

vikkiandmonica

Visit site
Haha. Calm and Condition is about £8 a bag which lasts my 3 horses about a month? Fast fibre is about the same, and both are soaked (but need only be left 5 mins) so in the winter you can add hot water for a warm feed and make sure they're getting some water in. Alfa A is slightly more expensive, but then goes further (one bag has lasted about 3 or 4 months, and hasn't finished yet). And then obviously sunflower oil is cheap as chips (we get the 2 litre bottles from tesco :p )

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Smart little horse. I wouldn't like to see any more weight on him, and his top line is lacking. He's also got rather a straight back end.

But he's a little cracker!

vikkiandmonica

Visit site
Ok amymay, thanks!

And thanks Rachel, I like him to be a little chubby (but fit) coming into winter, as he does tend to lose condition pretty quickly and become a bit of a poor doer.

Winklepoker

Visit site
He is lovely V&M, Does he crib? He has got the makings of muscle developement on the underside of his neck which would either suggest a cribber or he isnt carrying himself correctly and lifting from his tummy. He is a lovely colour, What breeding is he?

vikkiandmonica

Visit site
Yep, he does crib! I think his belly is just a side affect of that really (although when he does crib, he lifts his belly up to do it?)

He is by Kannan (who is the son of Voltaire) and a mare called Ruse du Moulin (never heard of her before), so he is a fairly good jumper haha :D

Cedars

Visit site
He's overweight, compared to what I would want mine looking like BUT my little one is twice the size as we're going in to winter. He could do with a bit more topline but he's got a lovely eye and I like him =]

vikkiandmonica

Visit site
Oh right, I didn't think he was overweight as you can feel his ribs pretty easily (but not see them), and is pretty fit? But yeah, he's getting ridden about 6 times a week for about an hour a day, so if he is overweight now, he won't be in a few weeks time :p