how does the high fibre haylage compare to hay?

Palindrome

Visit site
If cut from the same grass it should be less calorific as (1) the water content is higher (so by weight haylage less calorific) and (2) the haylage making process (fermentation I think but not sure) uses up sugar from the grass, this process is stopped sooner in hay when it dries out.
The problem generally is that haylage is more palatable so the horse is likely to scoff it and it is usually made of grass reacher than for hay but not necessarily if it was made with horses in mind.

Mike007

Visit site
The problem with haylage is that horses require between 1.5 and 2.5% of their body weight DRY MATTER of forage per day .Of this at least 60% needs to be long fibre. A 500kg horse therefore needs between 7.5 and 12.5 kg dry matter. Hay is 12 % water so if only hay were fed then that would be between 9.7 kg and 14.2 kg. High dry matter haylage is about 35% water so you would have to feed between 11.5 and 19.2 kg to achieve the same dry matter intake.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
The amount of calories in hay or haylage will depend on the field it was cut from, the species of grass in it, what the weather conditions have been before it was cut and the day it's cut and what time of year and what time of day it's cut.

You can't know whether any particular batch of hay or haylage is more calorific without testing it. I remember someone reporting testing a batch of hay and finding it was thirty per cent sugar.

Contrary to popular belief, old hay doesn't lose calories either, just vitamins.

Last edited:

Leo Walker

Visit site
Its the Horsehage high fibre and he will be having it mixed 50/50 with straw so thats not a massive issue quantity wise. I'm having to do an emergency yard move tomorrow morning and couldnt get any hay in time so this is a panic buy from the feed shop to tide me over and I was just a bit suspicious about the claims of it being low sugar etc!