How does the Judge know ?

asommerville

Visit site
Random musing after looking at bits and trying to find a dressage legal bit for the ginger pony, how does the judge know what you have in their mouth? For example if you had a bit that looked like a snaffle but had a port (which I was told is not allowed) – you can’t see that just from looking at the horse so how can you tell it’s a ‘legal’ bit?

Not planning on doing anything dodgy just generally musing and never competed at BD only UA – never had a bit looked at in the past.

Billy the kid

Visit site
Random musing after looking at bits and trying to find a dressage legal bit for the ginger pony, how does the judge know what you have in their mouth? For example if you had a bit that looked like a snaffle but had a port (which I was told is not allowed) – you can’t see that just from looking at the horse so how can you tell it’s a ‘legal’ bit?

Not planning on doing anything dodgy just generally musing and never competed at BD only UA – never had a bit looked at in the past.

I've always thought this too. I've never seen a judge ask to see the bit out of the horses mouth, and like you say it could be ported ect.

Interested to see if anyone knows anymore.

bounce

Visit site
I don't think they do, they just presume that it is acceptable. The only times I have had bits checked was at Nationals and also at a riding club area qualifier.

TarrSteps

Visit site
Technically the Steward checks but since shows here don't seem to have Stewards I presume they work largely on the honour system. The judge has the right to check if there are suspicions

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
At affiliated shows over here (Ireland) there is a steward who does check bits on a random basis. The judge can also request a bit check.

jam14

Visit site
Yes if it is affiliated the judge does random checks. I was a steward once and had to do this. People hated me lol.

Otherwise no one will know lets face it.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Yes if it is affiliated the judge does random checks. I was a steward once and had to do this. People hated me lol.

Otherwise no one will know lets face it.

A decent judge will, actually. There is a REASON certain mouthpieces are banned, and anyone with experience will notice how a horse holds itself and make enquiries accordingly. I once stopped a test and had a look in a horse's mouth because he was holding himself so wierdly. Turned out the snaffle bit was completely legal, but the owner had put it back on her bridle after cleaning for the show BACKWARDS.

Kokopelli

Visit site
I once accidentally did a test in a rubber snaffle with the lumps not realising it wasn't dressage legal. Felt awful the next day, thank fully we didn't do that well. No one asked us or even looked twice but now I'm extra sure on rules whenever I make a tack change.

kc100

Visit site
I think at a normal competition it would be unlikely to have the bit checked, but of course the steward or judge could decide to do random checks at any time. It is mainly when you get to the bigger comps (regionals, nationals etc) when more checks are done to ensure everyone is playing by the rules.

crabbymare

Visit site
a lot of horses are very helpful and open their mouths when there is a downwards transition at C :D otherwise unles there is a steward or the judge thinks something is up and has a look then at most shows therewill be no way of knowing

Tempi

Visit site
I always have tack checks at Area festivals, regionals and nationals. To be honest there is no point competing in a bit that isn't BD legal as when you do get tack checked or go somewhere that is doing a tack check (regionals etc) then horse will need to be going well in the 'legal' bit anyway