How does this read?

SSM

Visit site
Raising my head above the parpet that is work, I've grabbed a moment to write a livery ad (not sure if that is the right description!!!) - how does it read, should I add more etc?

All comments gratefully received!

DIY Livery – XXXXXXXX

2 Places available - Stabling, Flood Lit School and Excellent Turnout (not 24 hours)

Call XXXXXXXXXX for further details

PS Not trying to advertise!!

JenHunt

Visit site
any jumps they can use?

bedding/hay/ haylage?

regular farrier vet attendance?

just suggestions.
grin.gif

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

And possibly whether you will accept other breeds.
S
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif

Of course she will, part bred CB's will be allowed too!
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What fraction or percentage of CB blood is acceptable should be added too then...
S
laugh.gif

SSM

Visit site
I want to keep it fairly short as the facilities are basic, enourmous stable though and an excellent school, haylage at extra cost - and reluctant to put price up as it is ridiculously cheap and I don't want 'cheap skates' just looking to keep their horses somewhere cheap - if that makes sense!

SSM

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
And possibly whether you will accept other breeds.
S
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I was in a real quandry about this - however I am fairly certain that Donkey is the only CB in the village so we will have to let some riff raff in
grin.gif
grin.gif

Ideally would like a mare and gelding, not owned by the same person as it makes it easier to split the work!

alicedove

Visit site
If you are advertising it ridiculously cheaply and you only want a certain type of person there, may be its best to put that you will want a reference for the person, or that you'd require them to do a) b) c) or something like that to separate the wheat from the chaff (as it were)

Tia

Visit site
I think the ad is fine as a first port of call although I would mention the hacking.

You will however, want to know exactly what you are going to say to people if they ask about keeping foals/youngsters there and also cobs/heavy horses.

I didn't allow any horses under 4 years old at my yard in England and I also didn't accept cobs/heavy horses and no owners under the age of 18 years old.

SSM

Visit site
Hacking is not bad, there is a short stretch of road that I am not kean on - but that might just be me. I do not want youngstock, I am looking for people who want to hack/compete - - also will restrict to no one under 16 (stops someone I think might want to come on the yard coming
tongue.gif
)

SSM

Visit site
We do not have 24 hour turnout - and to be very honest enjoy having people to hack out with etc - I also think people with young stock MAY not be as devoted to their stock as I am.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
Thanks for enlightening me. When I was looking for livery with a weanling, a broodmare and foal, and my TB mare, lots of yard owners were frightened...saying 'we don't want to handle dangerous youngstock'
I found it hilarious - why would my youngstock be dangerous...and why would I let some numpty frightened yard owner anywhere near them to ruin their handling?
No offence to competent yard owners...but owning a yard and knowing ass from elbow don't always go together
grin.gif

S

Tia

Visit site
More so over here, I hasten to add.

No I have loads of youngsters here and have no problems with them but I wouldn't have had them in England because the fencing on my yard over there was nowhere near up to the standard it is here. For example, our 4" diameter x 6ft long posts over there were only hammered into the ground. The rails were only 4 X 2's. Here I have 10" diameter x 10ft posts which have holes dug for them and then they are sunk into the holes. My rails are either 6 or 8 X 2's. My lot here aren't going anywhere....

Irishcobs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...and I also didn't accept cobs/heavy horses ....

[/ QUOTE ]

Just being nosy
grin.gif
- why didnt you allow cobs? Or was it just a space issue (stables too small?) ?
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Was just going to ask the same thing

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
They trash the fields in wet weather.

[/ QUOTE ]

But did you calculate the PSI for heavy horses against pointy sharp TB feet? And how many footsteps a silly TB makes running around compared to a quiet heavy or cob standing still?
S
grin.gif

Tia

Visit site
No, sorry I wasn't so technical Shils
wink.gif
. I purely judged it by my first year in business and the damage done to the land by cobs versus TbX's. The fields with the cobs in were trashed, the fields with TB's were not.

One other thing I noticed was that the TbX owners happily stabled their horses overnight, the cob owners never wanted to and when I said they had to, they moaned.

Bad experiences with a "type" generally put me off having to deal with these things in future - hence I had a blanket ban after that. Shame for others who are not like this, but such is life.