How durable are Wintec Saddles?

MegaBeast

Visit site
Quick question (and I don't want this turning into a debate about Cair and the merits of other brands please), those of you with Wintec saddles, how well are they lasting? I've always had and used leather saddles but am considering a Wintec dressage saddle as can get an Isabell one for silly money when compared with the same model Bates in leather... but I don't want to buy a saddle that will be tatty in a couple of years time!

So, does the Wintec finish last and does hair stick to the suede?

Thank you kindly :)

Kacey88

Visit site
I had a wintec (and have another on the way) and I bought it new and it lasted exceptionally well. It came up like new after a clean after 2 years then I sold it to someone who described it herself "as new". I didn't find that hairs stick to the suede. I like them because they fit my horse very well and I don't like worrying about leather scratching/having to be very well looked after! It can rain as much as it likes and we can go through water, I don't have to worry about it! Hope that helped :)

Dizzleton

Visit site
I used both Isabell and Pro dressage saddles a while back and they keep well under good care. If you do get the saddle, I would invest in a suede brush / suede cleaner which will help your saddle stay clean and hair-free.

Basic care will keep any saddle looking better for longer; but I'd recommend drying after it gets wet, keeping grease and dirt away from stitching and always wiping the synthetic bits down before dirt gets ground in!

MegaBeast

Visit site
Thanks both, hoping for a saddle that will still look (and be) in good shape after 10 yrs +, possibly unrealistic? The only synthetics I have come across were in a riding school many moons ago and they looked pretty shoddy, but imagine have a very different care regime to those in private hands!

budley95

Visit site
I've had my wintec 7 years. Plastic over the webbing on the girth straps is just starting to crack, I've been quoted £15 to have them replaced. All I've had to have done, bar the usual flocking and checking gullets etc. It has a few scratches over the back from where my horse decided to rear and fall over backwards onto concree whilst wearing it. Had it checked, it's still fine. I personally think they're very durable and super easy to clean - wintec girths to go with it are also stupidly easy to clean. My saddle looks like leather though, my loaner didn't believe me when I said it wasn't! It's great!

MuddyTB

Visit site
Another one who has had a GP Wintec for 7 years. I did have my girth straps replaced with leather ones as mine cracked. The buckle guard on the underneath of the main saddle flap is a little worn too.

Other than that though it looks like new and the suede cleans up really well. And I really don't give it much TLC.

Magnetic Sparrow

Visit site
One of my GP Wintecs is over 15 years old. The 'suede' has worn and looks like worn suede, the 'leather' has lost its texture and looks like worn synthetic material. I had the straps replace years ago with leather. Even though its tired and worn it is so comfortable I'm keeping it until the saddler advises otherwise.

slamina

Visit site
I had an older one that ended up looking scruffy but have had another new one for a few years that still looks great. Think they are better made now as more and more demand for them.

starryeyed

Visit site
They seem to stay in surprisingly good condition! We have one which is 16 years old and apart from being a bit rubbed in places, is still in very good condition and scrubs up really nicely. We get it regularly checked by the saddler and it never seems to need much adjusting, he's been very impressed by it - and he's a leather fan!

pipwat

Visit site
Ive got 2 had them for just over 11 yrs and am afraid to say they have been neglected in the cleaning dept but amazingly they scrub up well and the leather straps are all intact.

NaeNae87

Visit site
I have had my Isabel for almost 3 years. I bought it second hand and I think the girl I bought it off had bought it brand new about 4 years before she sold it to me. So it's almost 7 years old.

I clean it once a month with a damp cloth. I have also taken it swimming at the beach... And I mean it has been fully submerged, on my horses back whilst I have been sitting on it... It scrubs up really well.
After beach trips, it gets thoroughly rinsed off and left to dry in the shade.

Brilliant, value for money saddle :)

dominobrown

Visit site
At work they get more than their fair share of abuse and last surprisingly well. What I do find is though that the girth straps are rubbish and do start to crack etc. What we do is replace them for leather girth straps which are easier to use.

Casey76

Visit site
I've had my Wintec 2000 for about 8 years. Apart from the equi-suede seat being a bit polished, and marks where the stirrups rest, it looks remarkably well. The underside looks like new, and I assume that if I spent a decent amount of time cleaning all the nooks and crannies properly it would look very presentable.

I have changed the gullet a few times and the fixings are still good.

I haven't had any issues with the billets becoming worn or stretched.

I'm just disappointed that the tree is completely the wrong shape for my new horse :(

monkeybum13

Visit site
I like wintecs, I had a GP for my mare and it looks like new after 3 1/2 years, I don't know how old it is because I bought it second hand.

Several people on my yard have the Isabell, I rather like it. Not sure what the girth straps are like but on the GP they are synthetic, my master saddler changed them to leather for £30 :)

MegaBeast

Visit site
Several people on my yard have the Isabell, I rather like it. Not sure what the girth straps are like but on the GP they are synthetic, my master saddler changed them to leather for £30 :)

That's the one I'm tempted by, £1k cheaper than the leather bates! Just not sure about the suede.

Lego

Visit site
My previous share cob had a Wintec GP that was a good couple of years old, and it always cleaned up fairly well after a quick baby wipe, or hose off in the shower for special occasions :) It was comfy, and saddler always said it was in good condition.

I currently have a Wintec 2000 - 2 yrs old now, and the suede does look a little 'flat', but again it cleans up nicely for going out.

My friend has an old Wintec Isabell Werth that she has had for years - used as spare, breaking saddle etc. It's really comfy, but the saddler has said that due to age, changing gullets etc, the tree has a bit of flex in it now, so fine for lighter riders and as a spare, but bigger rider every day would be a no-no. I think it's a good 10yrs old though... I don't think it is quite the right shape for my cob, but would otherwise happily buy one.