How easy are these horses to come by?

Megibo

Visit site
I have made the sad decision to sell one of my horse as after much trying we are just not right for each other.

When she is gone I'll be looking for another horse but just wondering how easy it is to come across a horse that is good to do in all ways, sensible safe and sane but forward going, good to hack and could do abit of dressage, xc and sj. Ideally no older than 10 and about 15.2 ish! Budget will be about £1200...

Just to clarify its not a wanted advert! Just asking how easy they are to find due to limited funds.

Bay TB

Visit site
Good luck with that. I have just brought a horse that is all that but a fair bit younger and still needs schooling work before he can go out and compete and he was a LOT more money than that. You never know though, you may find a bargain!

NativePonyLover

Visit site
Honestly, I think you'll struggle in your budget.

If your prepared to go older, it may become easier.

My friend has just sold a type similiar to what your looking for, for £4,000 & had a lot of interest as people are prepared to pay for safe, easy to do allrounders of a good age.

You might want to consider a loan, to get what your looking for if budget is your limiting factor.

Megibo

Visit site
That's what I thought. Don't mind having to put a bit of work in as long as its not the type to throw you off consistently. Someone had a thoroughbred mare of this description (just needed some work) I was going to look at but she subsequently changed her mind.

ETA-Saying budget is £1200 as that is minimum I'm taking for my horse, but asking £1500 including all of her stuff so potentially could have that much.

StoptheCavalry

Visit site
I bought almost exactly what you describe for your budget. He has his moments but he has never scared me to the point of not wanting him. I like to think he has enough spark to keep my entertained but is safe enough to look after me. He is perfect and was 8 when I got him. I also know of a number of people recently who have found really lovely horses (one bought originally from sales for meat but was too nice so was sold on to her) for quite little money. Hopefully mine wasn't just a one off and you find what you are looking for :)

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
If you can find a quiet thoroughbred that needs some schooling you would probably get it for that budget - good luck with the sale of your current horse :)

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Like others have said you might struggle to find something within your budget that ticks all the boxes. The one like that I've just looked at was more than double your budget which seemed fair given his potential.

ETA - I'd perhaps look on facebook, through word of mouth etc. as occasionally horses like this do turn up but they're usually snapped up pretty quickly!

fatpiggy

Visit site
I think that from next month will be a good time to be looking - lots of people will be going off to university or growing out of horses and in to the opposite sex, so there could well be some looking for rapid sales as parents don't want to be dumped with the horse.

Megibo

Visit site
Thanks all. There seem to be a few nice ones fitting that description on facebook/horsemart. All thoroughbred!

Sadly cannot up my budget, only have what my mare will (hopefully) be bought for.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
To be honest ive seen just this week a lovely sounding advert on a local horsey FB page totally what you've asked for (according to the ad of course ;) ) but a bit older, 15
Id say its possible but you may have to be a little flexible as in things like how far you travel to get it or getting one slightly older. You may be lucky and find an ex racer- some are complete dobbins but of course you run the risk of getting a loon (been there done that!)