How effective is the jag to stop pregnancy?

asbo

Visit site
New pony arrived today, only found out today she had an injection to stop pregnancy as she had been caught by a stallion along with 2 other mares, other mare is in her last month of pregnancy now. This little pony was a broody before and has been out of ridden work for 2 yrs. Whats the chances shes going to drop a foal?

Added a photo from today, apparently she needs wormed, you can feel her ribs but shes fairly round

Last edited:

emlybob

Visit site
It does depend when she had a PG jab. If a pregnancy is unwanted then two PG jabs a week apart is advisable. But it does depend on whether the endometrial cups have formed. Do u know when she was covered and when she was jabbed?

asbo

Visit site
It does depend when she had a PG jab. If a pregnancy is unwanted then two PG jabs a week apart is advisable. But it does depend on whether the endometrial cups have formed. Do u know when she was covered and when she was jabbed?

They said vet gave her 1 jag in July and said she didnt need another or scan, she would be in her last month if pregnant, have posted photos in the tack room of front/rear/teats x

Last edited:

Aredis

Visit site
The PG dose not always work. We have a foal from a mare who was given a PG.

I know of two mares who have foaled after being given a PG and being flushed for embryo transfer.

Looks to me like your girl is in foal.

Get the vet in, he will probably just pop his hand in and tell you.

Spring Feather

Visit site
She doesn't look in foal in any of the later pictures. In the first picture she looks to have a large barrel though! I had a mare like that. She was never bred though but she always looked like that. I owned her for years. The only way you'll know for sure is having a vet come and check her. Based on your piccies though I'd say she isn't pregnant.

asbo

Visit site
She doesn't look in foal in any of the later pictures. In the first picture she looks to have a large barrel though! I had a mare like that. She was never bred though but she always looked like that. I owned her for years. The only way you'll know for sure is having a vet come and check her. Based on your piccies though I'd say she isn't pregnant.

Thank you, and thanks everyone for posting x