How experienced do you class yourself?

nuttychestnut

Visit site
Sorry can't sleep so thinking!
I've ridden for the last 20 years and owned horses for the last 16 years but I would still class myself as a novice. Am I being too hard on myself?
What you expect a non-novice owner to be able to do?
I think I class myself as a novice as I don't seem to know the answers to all my endless questions!

Mike007

Visit site
The truth is that the more we learn ,the ,more we realize we don't know.Its so simple at first, A,B and C are right so we learn parrot fashion. But then we suddenly realise that D,E and F also work equally well . (and A was a load of *******s).And we start to think.

Tern

Visit site
The truth is that the more we learn ,the ,more we realize we don't know.Its so simple at first, A,B and C are right so we learn parrot fashion. But then we suddenly realise that D,E and F also work equally well . (and A was a load of *******s).And we start to think.

This lol

hackneylass2

Visit site
I would agree with Mike and also say this... I would expect a non novice to be comfortable around any type of horse. To have the second-nature nouse to understand how a certain horse needs to be treated. To have the confidence in your ability to manage a horse in most situations. Its not about how high you can jump. how successful you are in competition. Its about understanding horses and putting experience to good use.

NZJenny

Visit site
Experience is something you never get until you need it.

This is a well proven and incontravertable fact.

Go back to sleep.

horselover88

Visit site
I would agree with Mike and also say this... I would expect a non novice to be comfortable around any type of horse. To have the second-nature nouse to understand how a certain horse needs to be treated. To have the confidence in your ability to manage a horse in most situations. Its not about how high you can jump. how successful you are in competition. Its about understanding horses and putting experience to good use.

Yes this, I have learnt more in the past year than I ever have in my 20 odd years around horses!

I would consider myself fairly experienced (by no means an expert!) in how to handle and care for a horse. My ground work and care is higher than my riding ability, however I have plenty else I could know about how to manage conditions/disease/foot care etc (and have picked up plenty of tips from joining HHO!). I am happy to handle any type of horse on the ground and feel I could cope.

Riding is a different story though! If I did not have nerves I could ride to a higher level than I allow myself to currently. It holds me back a lot, which sometimes gets me down as I use to ride at a higher/more experienced level when I was younger, because I had no fear and would just get on with it. I would love that fearless nature back, because it certainly allowed me to push myself more, to achieve more.

littleshetland

Visit site
I've worked with horses for over 30 years, run a livery yard for 20, and owned about 20 for my own personal use - well that reads like I would have experience to burn, but I still get flummoxed by them, still have to ask for advice sometimes, and sometimes wish I'd taken up a safer job/hobby, like say, bomb disposal.......
I think (as any wise person should know)if you think you know everything there is to know about them, then you've got a lot to learn!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
been with horses 48 years - owned horses since 1983- BHS Qualified - worked many BHS yards own and run my own livery yard since 1996.

No ones perfect we all live and learn - that said I can hold my own.

bakewell

Visit site
Well, I'm from a family that's had horses as far back as anyone can remember, but even stuff that I learned as "new science" etc when I was younger is now outdated so I am conscious to regard learning as ongoing. For example I find genetic research and assisted reproduction fascinating now. Likewise certain psychological aspects of joining up and positive behaviour shaping. Grandfather would turn in his grave and he was considered quite the horseman.

I do find the more experience I have the less tolerance I have for (extreme) problem horses... Yes you can make them come good but unless it's exceptional in other ways I'd rather focus my attention elsewhere. (Not talking green or needing a mild re-education here).