How far did you/have you traveled to view a horse/pony?

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
I am just wondering how far did you/have you traveled to view a horse?

This is fairly new to me. Only horses we purchased were fairly local or at an auction of an hour away.

I have seen a nice filly and am so tempted to view her, but it's 3hours away :confused:
I did ask at what cost they would deliver so that point is covered and fine.

Anyway, how far have you traveled and were you pleased you went the extra distance?

JFTDWS

Visit site
1500 mile return trip.

Twice (2 different ponies, same place) :D

Essex to the Highlands ;)

Both worth it ;)

Last edited:

Allie5

Visit site
Hmm I've never added up the miles but in the search for my two (6 month old at purchase, now 2.5 yr old BWB gelding and 14yr old SJ schoolmistress) I went from Glasgow to the cotswolds, then to thurso then to ayrshire! nearly 40 hours in the car altogether and worth every minute!

starryeyed

Visit site
Furthest we've travelled has been 4 hours there, 4 back - twice. Once to view & once to collect. That was for a loan, the furthest we've bought from has been an hour away but that wasn't exactly planned!

Megibo

Visit site
never more than 3 hours i think.

my girl was an hour and a half away at a closing down polo yard she was the third one they brought out still have her 6 years on
sisters-we went to look at a horse who turned out lame so mum asked if they knew of anywhere else nearby that had something and the riding school down the road had him :)
and haribo , my boy, was flagged up on the forum as a free foal alert and only 25 mins away so we nabbed him :D

Ibblebibble

Visit site
one trip of about 4&half hours from wilts to n wales to pick up a horse i'd never met:eek:long trip in a lorry that could only go 50mph tops when empty!! still got her 5 years later lol, then 2 trips to N wales to pick a foal for my daughter and back up 3 months later to collect him. :D

lyndy

Visit site
From Essex to Cornwall twice, once to view and then returned two days later to collect, i think it took about 5 hours each way.

LaurenBay

Visit site
15 minutes! :p

Although before that, I had driven too.

Colchester
Cambridge
Suffolk

And then my YO wanted me to go and view this Horse 15 minutes down the road! I went there 3 times and then she was delivered.

hcm88

Visit site
I've travelled 3.5hours before (and bought the horse), but it was a horse that I knew was worth it, if that makes sense. For a general horse I wouldn't travel more than 1.5hrs really as I'm sure you can get something similar without travelling so far. But if its something special then I'd be inclined to travel further.

Travelling 3hrs each way counts up to a 6 hour round trip that day, which is pretty much half your day gone just spent in the car! If you think its worth it though, go for it. I'd just be a bit peed off if the said horse was wrongly advertised or you didn't like it and you ended up travelling so far for nothing!

AMW

Visit site
Flew from edinburgh to stansted and that was to buy a 6mo colt foal. Drove from edinburgh to Middlesborough to buy my daughters horse. Bought both :)

dollymix

Visit site
For my new girl...when we first started looking, we decided no more than 1 1/2 hours...but that soon went by the wayside.

We're in Lancashire and we looked south of Birmingham...and one eventful day, we drove up the North Yorkshire...but within 5 mins of being there, decided the horse wasn't right so headed back down the motorway. Feeling dispirited, we stopped for a horsedeals and H&H at a service station and scoured them for an hour...arranging to see another in Petersbrough the same day. Unfortuantely, he wan't right either. That was a LOOOOOOONNNNNNNGGGGGGG day of over 360 miles traveling!!

Ironically, we found my girl the week later....just half an hour away in bolton!!

Tinseltoes

Visit site
I was lucky the people came all the way from Ceredigion to Nr Neath to pick me up and theylet me take my daughter too and they bought us back later that night. (I dont drive) They bought my cobblet to me 2 weeks later.Did give them petrol money for delivery.

Last edited: