how far do/should you push your horse when it is having an off day?

daydreamer

Visit site
Hi,

I was just interested in people's opinions on this. Yesterday I was riding a horse i sometimes ride for a friend and he was acting a bit odd, forward going at first but after a while he started to come behind the bit and feel like he was going to throw a strop. I did some work with trotting poles to see if a change of activity would work, he was fine for a bit but then the same happened. I waited until we had a bit of nice work then got off, untacked and let him wander around the school. Up until now he has always been fine with me but i know he has a bit of a checkered past and can play up.

My theory is horses don't play up to be spiteful/awkward, if they are misbehaving it is usually because they don't understand or are in some sort of pain. I usually give the horse the benefit of the doubt and think they might just be a bit stiff or have tweaked something etc and don't push things.

However, sometimes I wonder if I should be more assertive. I also wonder if the difference between professionals and non-professionals is the ability to tell when a horse is taking the p!ss and then the willingness to have an argument about it?

I was just interested in what other people think?!

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
Well its good that you are trying to listen to your horse.
I think they do have off days where they do not feel so good, just like we do and I think its best not to push them if they seem to be off,naughtiness is another thing completely.

Sal_E

Visit site
I've always said that sometimes we just have a headache, tummy ache, feel a bit dizzy, achey or whatever. Why can't animals have days like this? I think you were absolutely correct.

Katie__Connie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I've always said that sometimes we just have a headache, tummy ache, feel a bit dizzy, achey or whatever. Why can't animals have days like this? I think you were absolutely correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly
smile.gif

JenTaz

Visit site
well when your horse has more off days than he has good days and everythings been checked and everythings fine i persoanaly have to push him through it cause i know he's just bein a d!ick lol
like tonight into the school walk trot and canter both reins for five minutes to make the first half hour to warm him up really pushing him forward to stretch all his muscles then once collected back that was him its like a flicking a switch. But i know he's just being a pest so i have no choice other than to ride him through it unless i want a totally unrideable horse in the school that i want to compete

Echo Bravo

Visit site
Agree with Sal E. I have off days, where I'm either feeling ill, sore joints and such or just very tired, so If I feel like that ,why wouldn't my animals, give them a bit of space if things aren't going right and you know the animal is not right, end the session and the horse won't end up resenting or going sourer.

popsicle

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Well its good that you are trying to listen to your horse.
I think they do have off days where they do not feel so good, just like we do and I think its best not to push them if they seem to be off,naughtiness is another thing completely.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this totally
smile.gif

ofcourseyoucan

Visit site
on bad days (could be a combination of you, horse or weather) try to achive something constructive from each and every session, and always finish on a good note, even if you finish earlier or later than anticipated! but bad manners/napping /bolshyness has to be nipped in the bud and never accepted!(my thought)

Lobelia_Overhill

www.mymiscellanyhome.net
When my lad gets a bit funny I walk him on a long rein till he calms down again... teh other day a pony started making a lot of noise in it's stable and Don got hysterical - he stopped and let out a very frightened sounding whinny. I let him stand and listen for a bit then walked him around until the pony stopped snorting. (No idea what the pony was making all the noise for!) I was "persuaded" to push him forward fast one day after he'd spooked badly (and I came off), he went like a bag of spanners for the rest of the session. So I think I'll trust my own instincts and let him calm down in future!

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
I also agree with Sal.E

However, Captain and, to a lesser extent, Fany can have naughty moments. I think they are just like people, we have moments when we simply don't feel like doing something or are just "that way out" Cappy especially can try to be very naughty, he will throw things and play up under saddle just to be a little s*d. He often reminds me of a toddler, throwing his toys not because he is naughty but just for the hell of it!

toomanyhorses26

Visit site
With mine I just try and end on a good note with him being forward from my leg (this is our issue at the mo ) ,I try and forget what the front is up to and just concentrate on forward momentum and not bouncing up and down on the spot
smile.gif

bushbaby28

Visit site
I would try to acheive something in the session. My horse definately has his stiff days when he doesn't feel like working and I won't push him through it, i'll just ignore it and do something else, even if its just working on improving our walk or just getting him off my leg (as above). Sometimes I find he then losens up and is ready to do a bit more anyway, if not no problem, always tomorrow.

maybe i'm just a softie
laugh.gif

Vixxy

Visit site
I get this with Ollie sometimes, we just don't gel when we are schooling or he doesn't seem into it. On those occasions I try to mix it up a little bit and get him focused but if it just is not happening I usually ride him around the school for a bit on a loose rein and admit defeat and think oh well today is not the day, we can try again tomorrow. I do not get upset about it, I just give him a big hug and fuss when I get off.

Ollie has his off days with a I cannot be bothered attitude as well as I get sometimes. I sympathise with him ;-)