how far do you travel? DIY only

skint1

Visit site
I travel 15-25 mins depending on whether going from work or home, the traffic in my town is a big factor on the journey time to/from work. On DIY I think you need to be able to get there quickly and journey should not work out to arduous or expensive

xgemmax

Visit site
Mine is a 15-20 min drive away at the moment, its a pain in the arse and not even worth the travel but I can't find anywhere else! Wouldn't mind travelling that distance if the yard had good facilities but we have a stable and field! Furthest I would travel for a nice yard would be 20-25 minutes :)

hotair

Visit site
Before i moved house i lived and worked in pretty close proximity, lived just over 10 mins from work. Horse was stabled less than 5 mins from work and about 10 mins from home. (I went to yard to and from work weekdays) I then moved house to about 35 mins from work (in good traffic can sometimes take an hour +) horse is now at a yard about 5 mins from home but can take any where between 30 mins and 1 hour+ to get there at night from work but thank fully at this yard horse is never left turned out alone and other owners keep there horses turned out alot more than people at previous yard did so works great for me :). I wouldnt want to be travelling much more than 20 mins from home as i like to be able to reach the yrd quickly if there were ever an emergency :)

JJS

Visit site
My current yard is only a two minute drive away, and the last two were about 10-15 minutes away depending on traffic. I wouldn't want to travel for more than about 15 minutes to get there.

misskk88

Visit site
As I work away a lot it is important DIY is as close to home as possible to make long days as easy as they can be! 15 minutes would be my limit for DIY, unless the yard was exceptional.

She will be just a mile from me when she is back with me. I can bike or walk there in summer. yayyy :D

stormclouds

Visit site
My last yard was a 3 - 15 minute drive depending on traffic (love a one-way system!!), and now I've moved to a city, it's about 20 minutes (if motorway traffic good) or 30 minutes if slow. However it's also about 2 minutes from work, so weekdays are ideal, and traffic is virtually non-existent at the weekends. It's a pain and I hate not being close to home, but living in a city definitely restricts things.

lula

Visit site
Just moved to a yard that is 7miles away from my home instead of the 3mls at previous. It only takes 10-15mins to get there but as DIY thats 28mls for 2 round trips a day and the petrol expenses soon add up to more. I have found its more cost effective for me to go on assisted DIY and have my YM feed and turn her out for me in the mornings which is £2 then i only have to come down once a day in the afternoon. It is extremely hard for me to leave the mucking out til afternoon as its an entrenched habit in me to do stables and have set fair in the mornings but it is saving me money in petrol. Dont think i could manage being on a yard much further tho.

C1airey

Visit site
11 miles and it takes me approx.30 min to get there because I have to weave through a string of little villages. Alas, my office is 30 miles from home in the opposite direction to the yard, so if I turn out, bring in and go to work, I do over 100 miles a day. Happily, I can work from home a lot, but it's still a killer. Despite being a nice yard, I'm definitely going to have to move soon :(

BeingKate

Visit site
11 miles and it takes me approx.30 min to get there because I have to weave through a string of little villages. Alas, my office is 30 miles from home in the opposite direction to the yard, so if I turn out, bring in and go to work, I do over 100 miles a day. Happily, I can work from home a lot, but it's still a killer. Despite being a nice yard, I'm definitely going to have to move soon :(

I had this problem when we got our own yard so I moved house haha thank god for horsey other half who appreciated the problem :p
(not suggesting you do this obviously!!! :) )

C1airey

Visit site
I had this problem when we got our own yard so I moved house haha thank god for horsey other half who appreciated the problem :p
(not suggesting you do this obviously!!! :) )

We moved house last year and it was such a palaver that I think I might become suddenly single if I were to suggest moving again any time in the next decade!

atropa

Visit site
Both my yards are about 45 minutes from work and 30 minutes from home. 30 minutes is pretty much the minimum I can travel as I live in a very inner city area. Unless I wanted to tether my horses in the park.

stormclouds

Visit site
Atropa - how do you deal with the journey every day/how do you find living in a city and having horses outside? I've only just moved to a city and had to drive so far.

Moomin1

Visit site
2 miles from home, so takes about 5 minutes. Used to be just a bit further up the road (about a mile) at the old livery so have never had to travel further than that which is fantastic, particularly since I now have much better facilities, so the best of both worlds. :)

Darkwater

Visit site
A two minute drive or a ten minute walk. I've been on a yard that was about a ten minute drive away and that was fine, but i've been on yards that were at least a half hour drive away and it was too far to be going twice a day and the facilities, cost etc just didn't make up for the time and petrol

Burnttoast

Visit site
Currently 8 miles, 12 mins, so 32 miles a day to nice small laid-back yard with great school and not bad hacking, but too far for me fuelwise. Moving in the spring to yard 2 miles away, which fortunately also has good hacking and school (and my mate's there too :) ).