How far do you travel to yard?

Ali27

Visit site
I have just moved to a new yard as our horses escaped off old (local) yard! Our new yard is 10 miles away but is perfect! Amazing off road hacking and quiet lanes, dressage arena with mirrors, jump arena, horse walker and post and rail fencing with electric fence! I was so worried about the distance but it seems to be worth going those extra miles! Luckily we can pay for turnout in winter so will only have to do one trip a day!

ZondaR

Visit site
I would only worry about being 10 miles away if I had to walk it. I am urban based and my horse is about 20 miles away, it's a 25 minute drive door to door.

CathySirett

Visit site
I used to be happy to drive 30 minutes to a yard I loved -- it had great facilities and once I was there I was in a great state of mind -

I am lucky now I walk 2 mins and there's the field!

Cathy

violethillx

Visit site
Sounds like an amazing yard! I'm 15 minutes drive when there's no traffic or 30 when it's busy but wouldn't swap my yard for the world. There are plenty others near me but the hacking is fab and its the most friendly yard i've come across by miles! Def worth the drive every day! x

Ali27

Visit site
Great, thanks:) Good to know I'm not the only one travelling 10 miles plus! My only doubt about the yard was the distance but we had to move due to arriving at old yard one morning and finding that horses had escaped off the farm and very close to road! However after a week of great hacking, facilities and lovely people, my doubts about the distance are already disappearing!

Misog2000

Visit site
Currently 20 mins away but moving house (a bit extreme I know lol) to be closer to the yard in July, will be 2 mins away on my push bike once there :)

Lexie81

Visit site
New one is 5-10 mins by car depending on traffic. Looking for a cheap 2nd hand bike to ride there instead at least some of the time!

Ali27

Visit site
In two years time when our daughter has done her a-levels then we will move to get our own place with land. Hopefully that thought will keep me going!

NativePonyLover

Visit site
Two and a half miles - 5 minutes drive in the car, but will start cycling at the weekends now the summer has arrived. I can hack home - which is rather nice!

Spit That Out

Visit site
I'm 19 miles away from the yard and i go twice a day = 76 miles a day!!! But it's the best yard in the area and has everything i need/want.

There are closer yards but either don't have schools, turnout, hacking etc etc

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I have had four livery clients that lived an hour away from the yard. Two lasted six months before deciding it was too far. One lasted two years but the journey eventually got too much for her after the second winter. I have one who lives an hour away now and she has been with me four years! She wants to move closer though. Personally, I would not want to travel more than 20 minutes in a car to my horses. It becomes really expensive too!

Kamakazegirl

Visit site
about 1/2 a mile and its perfect! Very walkable however i have recently passed my test so i've been driving there (which tbh probably takes longer with the gates and dodging the potholes on the track!)