How far do you travel to your horses.

tania01

Visit site
If you travel a distance why so far???.

Reason I ask,I am looking at moving home,thing is my livery is very very cheap and it would be worth me keeping them where they are.

I will be looking at travelling about 6 miles one way. I have never had my horses that far away before.

coen

Visit site
Currently its 10min from home which is great but I will be doubling that when I move him to the new yard. I think it is brilliant to have them close to home but sometimes you have to make a sacrifice one way or the other.

When I was a teenager I would travel 45 min to yards as I then lived in London.

posie_honey

Visit site
i used to travel 20miles round trip twice a day to have her on DIY livery with facilities

i've now moved her to 1 mile away to a field with no facilities at all - not even water -

would i change back to travel again? hell no! love having her close by :)

KAZJAZ

Visit site
Old yard was 5 miles away so 20miles a day, field, stable, electricity no running water £50 per month

Yard i am at now, 1 mile from house, field, stable, electricity, running water, all weather arena £78 per month

both DIY.

Snowysadude

Visit site
5 miles as its the most local DIY yard to me! But I live in Watford (Herts). Its not too bad. I have been 15 miles before and that was awful, having to go up a dual carriageway just to get there and back was too far - was that far away for good hacking but it wasnt worth it :)

Riverboy

Visit site
Currently about 23 miles - about 30 minutes down the M25 but I am 'inbetween' permanent homes and staying with my OH... not sure how long I'll be able to keep it up, luckily I have to drive past the yard to get to work but weekends are a mission!

t x

Carys

Visit site
17 miles from home but only 7 from work - on DIY with services if needed - go on way to work then on way home again - work is 7 miles from home so each day do 48 miles round trip but yard has good facilities, 3 schools (1 indoor/2 outdoor) horse walker / huge indoor barns & all stabling, hay, straw inside & if you work it right only 10 feet to muck heap from nearest door (for when it's pi**ing down !!). Horse was less than 3 miles from home before and on route to work but only stable, field + good hacking (Epping Forest) but NO services (I was only livery at time on VERY small private yard). Would I go back - think so for convenience of being near to home.

Brandy

Visit site
1.5 miles. It used to be 7 miles before I moved, but it was onthe way to and from work so didn't really matter.

riding_high

Visit site
i travel just over 18miles each way. i keep my horses there as the yard is a good one, it suits my horses needs and they are happy.

i used to travel 47miles each way to see my horse, i moved but couldn't move her straight away so she stayed at old yard for 2 months and i travelled there each day to see to her.

xBumblebeex

Visit site
2 min walk. Not the greatest facilities, and a little overpriced, but right on our doorstep, which means less traveling and more time with the ponies.

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
I keep my mare exactly 6miles from home and it takes about 12minutes to get there, I find the commute just fine :D
Work is in the opposite direction to the yard from home, another 9miles home, so 15miles apart, I would not want it to be further, I wish work and the horse were in same direction but I love my yard so there I shall stay :D

MagicMelon

Visit site
My horses are kept at my mums house (as she has the land / stables etc. so pointless me paying to have them closed at a livery), so from work it takes me 15 mins to get there (about 12 miles) and then 20/25 mins to get home. This is actually a big improvement, for about 6 months when I moved into my first house and used to work in the city - I would do an 80 mile trip a day, took me an hour to get to mums and a further 20/25 mins to get home.

I'd do anything to not keep a horse in livery though - I've always kept my horses at home and very much dislike the 'livery life', too many people and opinions! I want to be able to do whatever, whenever I want with my horses and not have to care about other peoples horses or opinions.

Cyberchick

Visit site
Originally they were 9 miles away and took me 20 minutes to get there. Then they used to be 6 miles away took me 10 minutes. Now they are 5 miles away and still takes me 10 minutes. All the yards have been lovely and now I rent my own on my own - bliss! and the ones that are any nearer I wouldn't even contemplate. One day i'll be able to feed breakfast in my pj's and slippers though :)

Dexydoodle

Visit site
9 miles away - takes about 20 mins first thing in the morning and coming home from the yard at night but is a pain to get to after work (welcome to the world of the m5 south - summer won't be fun!). But I live in the city and the closest 'decent' livery yard is only 5 minutes closer and the hacking all has to be accessed via a 60 mph road with blind bends on it (used to ride a horse kept at this yard and have seen a number of near misses) so the yard further away with hacking down bridleways and quiet lanes won it for me!

ETA: Yard is in the opposite direction to work, drive south to the yard then north to work. Daily commute is working out around 50 miles ish I reckon!

jnb

Visit site
I'm now around 5 miles from home (maybe less - 10 minute drive) but previously we were 17 miles from the yard. But the yard and YM were worth it! Sadly the yard closed and we moved to current yard which is fab but only had a small arena.
We are now 2 weeks into a 4 week construction of a Charles Britton floodlit 60m x 30m arena! Yipee!

Fairynuff

Visit site
Im so lucky. I just 'pop' downstairs and open the yard gate!
The stairs...

DSCF0033.jpg

my house seen from the yard..

DSCF0015-9.jpg

and part of my yard..
DSCF0013-5.jpg

wouldn't change it for the world!

Enfys

Visit site
I don't, which is just as well because if I had to I wouldn't have them at all.

DSCF5221.jpg

Fairy, love your yard, does the gravel 'travel' with the snow in winter or do you just have a big snow pile in the centre there?

Fairynuff

Visit site
I don't, which is just as well because if I had to I wouldn't have them at all.

DSCF5221.jpg

Fairy, love your yard, does the gravel 'travel' with the snow in winter or do you just have a big snow pile in the centre there?

big pile in the centre and gravel raked back after the thaw. Now if I could just move my yard over to Canada, Id be the happiest person on the planet. Italy sucks :-(
You still got snow?

Visit site
I used to travel a 30 mile round trip to my boys twice a day. I didn't enjoy traveling that far but it was worth it because the yard had great facilities and great hacking.

I have since moved closer to the yard and now live a 10 minute drive away, and have the two little ponies about 10 steps away from my back door! :)

Enfys

Visit site
big pile in the centre and gravel raked back after the thaw. Now if I could just move my yard over to Canada, Id be the happiest person on the planet. Italy sucks :-(
You still got snow?

Umm, yep:D Excuse the slightly OTT OH;)

011.jpg

"Italy sucks" - Oh, and I have always rather envied you being in Italy (being a bit of a culture freak - Canada is great, but a bit short on the old ruins and pretty villages etc of Europe)

Would you ever consider moving (back) to the UK?