how far would you travel to a livery yard?

cheekywelshie

Visit site
My current yard is about 1.8 miles from me! Which is fab! My only problem is that I have no transport and so have thought about moving somewhere that has regular shows etc. There are two places and both are about 12 miles away - plus they are quite a bit more expensive than the others but better facilities (although more liveries) and turn out is limited but it is all year round (day or night in summer and day in winter- at my yard it is only 2hours in winter) Just wondered how far some people travel to get to their yard and if you've ever moved actually to one farther away cos of facilities etc...

cheekywelshie

Visit site
I'd be going to paying 55 a week part livery (no mucking out) 2 miles away, small indoor 2 outdoors, to about 80 quid a week 12/13 miles away which would inc bring in turn out rugs changed shavings, hay etc because horses have to be in in winter by 4pm and I'd be at work) big indoor and outdoor, small livery outdoor huge XC course shows every week inc trailblazers, XC clinics etc etc ( Just wondering if it is worth it for the shows/events/compeitions or I just stick to what I do now which is the occasional event hiring transport (50-100 quid a go).

SO1

Visit site
I think it would depend on if you were going to be on assisted or DIY or full livery.

I am currently between 40-60 minutes but I am assisted grass livery so only need to go once a day or not at all as if I want I can use the assisted services but in reality do tend to go most days. The YO lives on site and is great.

I find it fine as I go after work and don't have anything to rush home for so. However there is no way I could do it if I had to go twice a day as I also have a long commute. It is a lovely yard though and the grass livery is well managed and perfect for my pony who has to live out as it is pony/cob only so all good doers so can be managed the same. Also I can hack to RC as well.

VioletStripe

Visit site
nothing really over 15 miles, depending on route. Problem is living round south east london the traffic is often bad, so it doesn't necessarily matter about the distance, but the route it takes to get there!! x

SO1

Visit site
I think she means no horse transport for going to shows not not no human transport!

[ QUOTE ]
With no transport how are you going to get there?

[/ QUOTE ]

cheekywelshie

Visit site
smile.gif
lol, yes I mean transport to shows. I have a small car but I'd have to sell that, get something that would tow, save up for a trailer and then do the trailer test! By which point m y priorities may have changed (I'm 33 next year and possibly thinking of moving in with my OH and thinking this year perhaps I need to make the most of my horse time!)

Charmaine18

Visit site
Personally I wouldn't want to travel more than about 5 miles because I get to the yard on my moped and it's very very cold on there in the winter.
tongue.gif
If I had a nice cushty car to go in, I would probably not mind driving 20 mins.

Ladybird

Visit site
I travel about 1.8miles to mine too, it's fab and cheap but I'm in the same situation re transport/shows.

Personally I wouldn't want to leave my yard so would sacrifice and hire transport once a month or something
smile.gif

ofcourseyoucan

Visit site
just a thought .. when on livery at a competition centre you wont really be able to use all the facilities ie schools when there is a show or clinic on! and is the turnout the same when there are shows/XC etc going on?

lucy1984

Visit site
My field is 3 miles away from my house so if my car ever died I could always walk if needed to. I am also in the same situation with transport to shows. I'd hate to end up on a yard that had bitchy people so I plan to stay where I am and get her fit enough to hack to the nearest show.

cheekywelshie

Visit site
I think the turn out is the same yes - in winter 7.30 am til 2.30/4pm. IN Summer - either day or night turnout. Shows are every weekend but tend to be either saturday or sunday....I would probably do one every fortnight as it's half price entry...my worry is that when I hire transport because he is very green we have to go a few times so he gets experience and it gets frustrating for me (ie i can't afford to 'hire' the course one week and then do the show the next, i'd just have to do the show -as it would cost abut 150 quid for the transport). I've been at my yard over 2 years but the winter turn out is minimal (2-3 hours) and the field is generally just mud, no grass at all.

These are the kind of shows they have at the two places i was looking at:

http://www.mkec.co.uk/page_navigation/in...news_events.htm (click on events on left hand nav bar)

and

(i think this has more on at weekends tho so may be difficult to use facilities?) http://www.buryfarmestates.co.uk/competitions.asp

Chumsmum

Visit site
I keep mine about 1.5 miles away and personally wouldn't want to travel that far if on DIY - I would consider the assisted DIY option.

I've gone for the 'no facilities but have a trailer' option which is great the majority of the time - except for when the roads are too icy for trailer..

Have you worked out how much more time/fuel it will take to get there?

Turnout sounds much better at both places.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
We've gone from three miles away to:

25 miles - three outdoor schools and an indoor school, but limited turn-out and limited hacking.
to
6 miles - not enough grazing.
to
8 miles - not enough grazing/stables.
to
12 miles - no school, limited hacking.
to
16 miles - expensive (though good outdoor school).
to
18 miles - big outdoor school, but sand so frozen. Very nice, but too far.
to
1.8 miles - school, good hacking.

cheekywelshie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We have 24.7 turnout at current yard, it's just winter t hat is rubbish. but then the grazing in summer ends up being overgrazed and last year i brought in and fed hay! It is hard with a cob.

On saturyda morning it took about 15 minutes to get home from the eventing one , but that was with no traffic at all. It's ten from my OH's. I'd only go up once a day - but then obv you pay more - as they turn out - but for 2 pounds its probably easier than to drive! It is nearer slightly I think to my sharer - if she continues to share.

cheekywelshie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We have 24.7 turnout at current yard, it's just winter t hat is rubbish. but then the grazing in summer ends up being overgrazed and last year i brought in and fed hay! It is hard with a cob. The hacking is great at current yard and it is v laid back. it could be an extra 30 quid a week in winter at the other yard

On saturyda morning it took about 15 minutes to get home from the eventing one , but that was with no traffic at all. It's ten from my OH's. I'd only go up once a day - but then obv you pay more - as they turn out - but for 2 pounds its probably easier than to drive! It is nearer slightly I think to my sharer - if she continues to share.

Twizzel

Visit site
I have been at a few, one was 13 miles away and took 30 mins to get there, the other was about 20 miles and took 30-40 mins to get the depending on traffic and tourists.

We're now at a yard that's 7 miles and 15 minutes drive maximum, it's bliss!!
grin.gif

SO1

Visit site
So your livery would be £100 a month more expensive and petrol cost might also go up so it would be similar to hiring the lorry once a month?

I think it would depend on if the competitions that they are going to run are ones you would want to enter or if you would like to go and do other things that are not on the yard as well and if you don't mind the extra time it takes to drive there.

I don't have transport so I hire as well but also can hack to RC who last year had 6 competitions I could hack too and then I hired the lorry a few times to go to other things. However I am not very competitive and even when my pony was a youngster he was v sensible.

I would however think of moving just to get the better turnout though!