How far would you travel

water gypsy

New User
Visit site
HI everyone, I'm new on here. I was wondering how far you travel to your yard? Would you go further for off road hacking and a sand school?

Shooting Star

Visit site
I'm stabled about 15 miles from home (25-30 mins drive if roads are quiet, 45+ if not) and I travel that far so that I can have fab off road hacking. Having a school is the norm around here so could livery much closer if I didn't want the hacking :)

Daytona

Visit site
I was travelling 19 miles each way I'm now travelling 6 but that will change to 10 as we moving next month

Shutterbug

Visit site
My last yard was a mile away from my house but had no school. My current yard is 3 miles away and has a school and the same hacking just slightly further away. I wouldnt want to be travelling much further to my yard - have been on a yard 15 mins away from my house, thats the furthest I have had to go and would not wish to be so far away again

water gypsy

New User
Visit site
thanks everyone, it seems a few owners have to travel quite a long way. I am looking at a 12 mile journey. Shooting Star do you do part livery or go twice a day?

Boxers

Visit site
The yard my horse is on is a two minute walk from my house :)

We have a school to use and there is off road hacking, although it is limited. One of the really good places to hack is by permission of the landowner so we take care to abide by the rules when hacking on their land!

peanuts1984

Visit site
we travel about 15 mins (5/6 miles away) i have travelled further and think people who have a yard on there doorstep very lucky

noodle_

Visit site
currently 10 miles round trip being cut to 1.6 mile round trip :)

purely due to cost of current yard - its lovely as are all the people but sometimes cost rules!

and no i wouldnt now drive further for facilities - being closer to home and turnout is priority for me :)

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
thanks everyone, it seems a few owners have to travel quite a long way. I am looking at a 12 mile journey. QUOTE]

Ours were on a friend's farm for about three months over the summer before we moved here. It was at least 12 miles, depending on whether you chose busy main roads or winding quieter ones. Because YO was a friend, and the horses were out 24/7 we only needed to visit once a day, which felt odd. I certainly wouldn't have wanted to travel so far for an extended period, especially as work was in a completely different direction.
It was a relief to bring them home, the week after we moved here. Now there is no travelling at all!
We have no school, although there a couple to hire that we can hack to, and the hacking is a reasonable mix of roadwork and off-road. Fortunately there are so many horses round here that the majority of drivers are used to us and drive carefully.

Last edited: