How fast do you drive your little lorry?

asmp

Visit site
Was trundling along in my car yesterday on a duel carriageway doing just under 70mph and was surprised to be overtaken by a newish 2 horse little lorry. There was at least one horse on board. I only tow and keep to about 55 mph. With livestock on board I would have thought with the risk of the animals moving about it would be better to keep the speed down but perhaps I'm too safety conscious?

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
I always have q of cars behind me... They can just wait my horses are more precious to me and their safety while I drive them places.
Anyway there are limits a 3.5 ton lorry can go, I understand its max 55 mph on dual carriage and max 70 on motorways. And on motorways not allowed in fast lane.
I don't drive fast full stop..

Nosey

Visit site
Scary! I'm also a plodder..dread to think what wld have happened if she needed to stop in a hurry
:-(

Doncella

Visit site
I mine could do 70 I'd be astounded, although I can crack on at 60 with a horse on board on the motorway.
However, given the roads in West Wales I usually trundle.

ladyt25

Visit site
If 3.5T then I suppose there's no reason why they shouldn't be going at 70mph. In our 7.5T I would be doing about 60mph on a motorway.

Mariposa

Visit site
In our 7.5 I get very overexcited if I get above 50 on the motorway when I have 3 ponies loaded. I would rather go slow and steady, I always leave myself lots of time to get anywhere.

amandaco2

Visit site
In the 3.5t about 55-60 in clear traffic.
The 7.5t about 45-55 on clear traffic.fuel consumption seems best that way.
I leave lots of space and if there's lots more traffic I go about 45-50 . There's always some moron who cuts in front to get to a slip road or services....

slumdog

Visit site
I have a 900 year old 3.5t, we do about 35, downhill, empty. Seriously though, about 50mph on motorways and it wouldn't go much faster anyway tbh

A&C

Visit site
When we had a horsebox it was driven at 50-60mph on the motorway. (5.5 tonne lorry)
Now we have a trailer so it is illegal to go faster than 60mph.

Fanatical

Visit site
I can't go faster that 56mph anywhere as the lorry has a limiter. It is a very odd feeling when you are on a motorway, already at the limit and start going downhill - it won't let you go any faster.
I am a plodder though anyway, usually have a queue behind.

RobinHood

Visit site
With 1 horse on board I sit at 55mph on the motorway. Lorry would like to do 60mph downhill but I can't be bothered playing leap frog with speed limited lorries.

With 2 horses I get excited if I reach 50mph downhill with the wind behind me.

Otherwise I just drive according to the road. On a 40mph winding road I probably do 20mph round the bends and 30mph on straight bits with a clear view ahead. If lay-bys are signposted well in advance I pull over to let traffic past.

Nicnac

Visit site
Don't have a little lorry but know many who do who drive at 70mph with one horse on board (would never put 2 on a 3.5t personally).

Bit scary those who tow at 70mph - or just plain stupid....

I have had a blow out at 50mph on a dual carriageway with 2 horses on board. I just thank my lucky stars that it was a rear outside wheel on a 7.5t. Scary moment although lorry didn't move.

Am tempted by a 3.5t but they just a) don't have the payload I need with 2 horses and b) are single axle behind so only one wheel on each side. I feel safer with 4 wheels at the back for 2 horses.

suzi

Visit site
I tend to 50-55mph on motorways as that's where the lorry feels most comfortable cruising, the fuel consumption is best and as already mentioned it avoids having to leap frog other limited lorries.

kaluki

Visit site
Don't have a little lorry but know many who do who drive at 70mph with one horse on board (would never put 2 on a 3.5t personally).

Bit scary those who tow at 70mph - or just plain stupid....

I have had a blow out at 50mph on a dual carriageway with 2 horses on board. I just thank my lucky stars that it was a rear outside wheel on a 7.5t. Scary moment although lorry didn't move.

Am tempted by a 3.5t but they just a) don't have the payload I need with 2 horses and b) are single axle behind so only one wheel on each side. I feel safer with 4 wheels at the back for 2 horses.

y 3.5 ton box has single rear axles with 2 wheels either side,as I think most do.:)

blackislegirl

Visit site
Equitrek quote 60mph as the max speed for their 3.5t Sonic. Mine does 60mph very happily on dual carriageways with one pony on board. I wouldn't exceed that speed, though. Ecven though it may be a cautious limit I bet the insurance co would not be pleased if I had an acccident whilst driving at over the manufacturer's recommended speed limit. Ot the police.

scots

Visit site
With my horse on a motorway 55-60mph - without 70plus

On normal roads say a 40 I would do 40 without and much less depending on the road if I had horse on board.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
55-60, although Peggy would like to go faster downhill if I let her!

Nicnac we had a front blow out in our last lorry on a dual carriageway with one on board, mum was driving and it wasn't as unstable as you imagine it would be, came to a safe stop on the hard shoulder. :)

IsabelleJ

Visit site
It astonishes me that anyone would do more than 60mph with a horse on board. As for the person who does 70mph towing, you are breaking the law - the maximum you are allowed to do on a dual carriageway/motorway is 60mph, and on a national limit single carriageway road it is 50mph.

I have followed someone towing their horse at over 70mph, and it was terrifying. The trailer was swaying all over the place, but they had no idea that there was a different speed limit for towing. The number of people who tow without knowing all the rules is also terrifying :(

Edit to add: you are also not allowed to travel in the outside lane of a 3 lane motorway when towing.

Isabelle

Last edited: