How good do you think you are at riding?

MagicMelon

Visit site
I should be better IMO for how experienced I am. Im actually a bit embarassed if people know the level Ive competed at in the past, as they must look at me and think "really?!". I feel Im an effective rider and generally most horses jump well for me, but I should be better at riding on the flat, Im not pretty enough!

smolmaus

Visit site
I would be better if I didn't tense up so badly I turn into a curled up little crab-creature the second I feel anxious (that's the secret, I'm always anxious).

I'm certainly not effective but I think I am at least sympathetic, which is fine by me.

Annagain

Visit site
The number of people who say "I'm nowhere near as good as I used to be" and beat themselves up about it (me included) makes me a bit sad. I doubt there are many sports where people keep going as long as we do. My OH gave up playing rugby years ago, if he still played now he definitely wouldn't be as fast, strong or good as he was. There's walking football for over 50s. I bet all those people congratulate themselves for still going rather than lamenting the fact they used to run. Even golfers (I'd argue a similar level of fitness required) don't hit the ball as far or as accurately or walk round the course as quickly as they get older.

We should just enjoy what we do and not worry about what we used to do. (I think I'm talking to myself as much as anyone else here)

Birker2020

Visit site
None of my previous horses with the exception of the current one had done very much of anything really when I bought them. I only had Bailey 9 days when I did my first ever 2ft 9 derby, she'd never jumped a bank or a dyke before but I was confident and she took the lead from me. We hadn't intended on competing in a derby but it was on and we were there, I'd just jumped my first ever 2f6 6 clear round on her and decided to give it a go. She leapt of the dyke with all four feet in the air at the same time, I remember holding on stirrupless as we cantered towards the wall! We came 5th out of around 30 in the class! We also did loads of eventing, another thing she'd not done but we just cracked on, I never really had lessons, preferring to spend my money competing instead.

The others were also imported WB's and had done farmers shows but they hadn't done eventing or fun rides and one was a ISH and had hunted but done nothing else and I used to do SJ and dressage on him although I did encounter loads of issues with him and wanted to sell him.

In those days when I was 30 and younger when I had my horses I was slim, confident and didn't mind falling off, I just got back on. I only think with later years things happen that make you realise that your not the rider you used to be. I don't think me and my friends ever over analysed it like I would now. I think we just mounted, kicked on and had fun.

I would say I'm proficient and capable but I am certainly not excellent, not even close. With a gap of around 4 years since I remotely did anything like a schooling session and a weight gain of around five stone I have no delusions whatsoever about my capabilities. I was pretty chuffed when I went to view Lari and jumped him straight out of a canter and managed a flying change and counter canter on him during the same session! I can't sit a buck, I'd be sick if I was reared on and if I got bolted with I'd probably pass out :D

Going to try horses before I bought my present one was a nightmare due to my lack of confidence, mainly due to my weight. I think I would be so much better riding if I could shift the weight, its all consuming at the moment.

Last edited:

Birker2020

Visit site
I should be better IMO for how experienced I am. Im actually a bit embarassed if people know the level Ive competed at in the past, as they must look at me and think "really?!". I feel Im an effective rider and generally most horses jump well for me, but I should be better at riding on the flat, Im not pretty enough!
Ha ha yes me too! Not that I've done anything special but I've competed at the Blue Chip, Trailblazers and Cricklands finals and done three 3 day events so can't be that bad. If they looked at me ride now they'd think I was a sack of ***. lol

planete

Visit site
I don't know. I still seem to have all the right reflexes but my body protests strongly nowadays at the range of movement imposed on it by an energetic, fast moving horse. So we school in walk, only go into trot when I feel the horse is balanced enough to stay round, practise soft transitions and ease ourselves into some lateral moves when the wind is in the right direction...Pony and I enjoy it but impressive it is not!

meleeka

Visit site
Terrible since I stopped riding regularly. I have no core anymore so even though I might remember was my muscles are supposed to do, I just can’t get them to co-operate. When I was riding regularly I was average. I’ve always had a bit of a phobia about riding in front of people which probably goes back to when I was 12 and got placed last in a local Best Rider class! Many hours of lessons followed (I was mortified and made it my mission to improve) and it paid off I think.

scruffyponies

Visit site
Definitely in the competent but unsightly camp here. A very long way from good.
I haven't had any instruction, so it's not surprising my bad habits outnumber my goods ones. At best I might be described as 'effective'.

Riding is definitley one of those things where your deficiencies only become clear to you as you improve.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I will admit that in spite of having had lessons at a "good" riding school when I was a kid - and then having my own pony (5yo!!) when I was 13 and somehow surviving Pony Club, I still consider myself a non-confident rider now at 61. Coz I'm not. I've always needed to have "easy" horses because had a demanding job working for one of the Blue Light services, and needed something safe & sensible to just pop on in any free time and just go for a hack somewhere to chill.

I took on my first-ever youngster five years ago; a little gypsy cob that was everything I'd said I didn't want i.e. youngster (just backed) pony, mare, cob, coloured, hairy feathers, the lot!, the main one being "youngster". However a very good friend had backed her and I knew she'd have done a good job, and somehow this little mite winkled her way into my heart........ bless her, she's been sooh incredibly easy and I'm grateful for that. However we did have the constant support of my lovely friend right from when I first took her on and that has been invaluable.

I don't call myself a "traditional" BHS-style rider. Neither do I espouse everything the "natural horsemanship" brigade have to offer. We ride barefoot, treeless, and bitless. Just happy hackers, enjoying ourselves. That's us.

southerncomfort

Visit site
I just seem to have a disconnect between brain and body. I know what I'm supposed to do but often I just can't make it happen. I find lateral work challenging as their is so much to remember.

However, after more than 40 years in the saddle I have developed great stickability (aka a fierce determination not to fall off!). I seem to be able to sit most things and I think I'm much better at feeling what's going on, although I must credit my instructor for that.

mini_b

Visit site
After tonight’s debacle, I am very much SH*T. Stood and cried whilst hosing off and I’m off to buy some Prosecco and crisps.

you know when everything goes wrong…yep that. Thoroughly fed up pony.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I'm OK. And I'm ok with being ok :)

I like native ponies as they are fun and still make me ride without the athleticism that comes with bigger, sportier breeds. They are sensible enough to still engage their brains generally, even if having a 'moment'. I have no desire to ride something flashy, athletic or sharp thanks.

I have regular classical/biomechanical focused flatwork lessons to help pony & I become straighter, more balanced and broaden our knowledge but I have no desire to become a dressage rider.

I'm had him since a very green youngster and we're happy to hack alone, in company, small jumping and can pilot our way around a prelim dressage test without setting the world on fire. I've bought him on with the help of professionals but I wouldn't want to bring on a young, athletic sharp horse, thanks.

I want to be as good as I can for the sake of my pony but I'm not going to beat myself up that I don't ride like CDJ ;) I ride solely for fun so as long as we're both enjoying ourselves, that's the main thing.

Last edited:

mariew

Visit site
Ugh, it depends a little on the horse but I am not as good as I should be although on occasion I might do a good job, and sometimes I wonder what the heck I'm doing...! Too nervous for jumping unless a horse properly takes me into a jump. I can sit spooks and bucks but I don't bounce so well these days :)