How hard to pull reins

639q64

New User
Visit site
Hi,
I recently started riding and have just been moved up to the unlead group at my school. In my last lesson I was having a bit of trouble with stopping because I was fine with putting pressure on with my legs, but I am unsure as to how much to pull on the reins, because I don't want to hurt the horses mouth. This also happened when he tossed his head a bit- i just dropped the reins and the person leading told me to hold on but I was also scared of hurting the horse?
Any advice would be much appreciated
:)

Roxylola

Visit site
Keep a firm grip of your reins and gently and steadily pull them towards the top of your hips until the horse stops then soften the arm forward. Essentially, if you're smooth and consistent with the rein the horse will show you how hard you need to pull.
However at least while you're learning I'd try and get some private lessons - preferably at a riding school that doesn't offer beginners groups. Imo you're not going to be getting the best from anywhere happy to put a bunch of beginners in a group

639q64

New User
Visit site
Keep a firm grip of your reins and gently and steadily pull them towards the top of your hips until the horse stops then soften the arm forward. Essentially, if you're smooth and consistent with the rein the horse will show you how hard you need to pull.
However at least while you're learning I'd try and get some private lessons - preferably at a riding school that doesn't offer beginners groups. Imo you're not going to be getting the best from anywhere happy to put a bunch of beginners in a group

Thanks for the help :) Luckily I have my first private lesson soon because now that I have moved to unled my mum could only book a private lesson as all the other spaces for group lessons were taken.

Micky

Visit site
As above but you pull and give back, pull and give back with your reins, if you just pull you won’t win the strength contest! You’ll come on in leaps and bounds in private lessons.

JBR

Visit site
Having also started riding recently, I can associate myself with what you experienced! You will definitely find out if you're hurting the horse - so don't worry about it.

Completely agree with what the others have said. I would add that, as a beginner, my instructor constantly reminds me to shorten the reins as I sometimes let them slip when the horse tosses his head. Short reigns help you apply constant light pressure/contact. If you have contact and short reins, you don't need to pull the reins hard or far.

I hope you enjoy your private lesson! I do weekly private lessons, and my improvement in each lesson always exceed my expectations.

tristar

Visit site
just ride into the contact you have with your hands using your hips and legs while holding gently

if you start off right when you get better you will find the horse will stop in balance instead of collapsing in a heap

then when you get much better you will be able to halt just using your hips and legs and a very light contact this will help the horse halt in balance and be ready to move forwards easily from your leg

and when you get even better you will be able to halt nicely with a light rein contact and your horse will go backwards politely with a soft contact between your hands and the the horses mouth