how heavy is tooo heavy to ride a horse?

bubblensqueak

Visit site
how heavy is tooo heavy to ride a horse? i know the build of the horse plays massively into this, but i saw something utterly horrifying on social media today which really made me think. it saddened me to see it wasn't an uneducated person, but a keen equestrian. i understand heavier people could ride heavy weight cobs, or something similar. but a 5 (i think) year old, fragile irish sports horse i think is too far. especially when, to me the poor horses pace looked a bit off, due to the weight she was carrying. i haven't attached a link/photo, as i dont want to make this seem like a direct attack, but i can do if people would like to contribute an opinion, (keeping this persons account anonymous)

mini_b

Visit site
How do you know the horse was off because of he weight being carried?

I feel very strongly that riders are at least amateur athletes and expect their horses to perform at a certain level of fitness, therefore the riders also should do maintain soundness in their horse.

I do feel this is a slight dig however :/ apologises if misconstrued.

there have been multiple studies done on rider weights affecting horse performance.

bubblensqueak

Visit site
im no vet, and have no relative qualifications, but she just seemed a bit short, not on a particular leg, just all round not coming through/stepping forward.

i really tried for this to not sound like a dig, as i said at the start, i know heavier riders can ride, and i know this person also has a 15h cob, but even seeing her on the cob made me feel uncomfortable :(

i may well be wrong though, some one please enlighten me.

i will also add i dont know this person, not over social media, or real life, and it wasnt particularly aimed at her, i just was pushed to mention it after seeing the post.

SOS

Visit site
Having confirmed with OP who the rider is I can now give an opinion (I guessed the rider anyway.

As far as I know there is no absolute, definite weight limit for horses. However my personal feeling is seeing very large, unbalanced riders on fine horses isn’t right. Even heavier horses were not made to carry but pull. Said rider I won’t comment directly on bar that one saddle is noticeably much too short to the point weight is put on the cantle and beyond every time they sit. This cannot be comfortable for the horse. I believe all forms of riding and riders cause discomfort to the horse but our aim should be to minimise this as much as possible. Including by not loading them with excessive weight.

Whilst there have been studies published none are absolute and perhaps we never will get an answer, it would be useful for some definition of when it becomes a welfare issue. The whole situation made more difficult by a horses weight cannot always determine it’s carrying ability. A 15hh cob and 17.2hh TB may actually be similar weights but very different types.

Littlewills

Visit site
I think once you get over 16.5 stone you are too heavy to ride any horse. It doesn't matter how big or chunky, all that weight comes down through 2 small saddle panels. Theres also an issue with larger riders not fitting in the saddle size their horse needs. And I say this as someone who is fat and is constantly aware of it in relation to the horses.

Winters100

Visit site
I have no idea if it is correct but I was always told that 14 stone was a maximum, that is about 90 kg so sounds to me about right as a max for a larger horse.

Mule

Visit site
I don't know about any official guidelines for weight, bar the 20% one. I think it's just something where people need to use their common sense.

It's so much easier for horses to pull heavy weights with their shoulders. When I'm hauling wheelbarrows full of manure i always throw a glare at mine :p

Last edited:

doodle

Visit site
Robin is a big chunky horse, 16.2 MW warm blood at about 650kg. I weighed more than the 14st mentioned but less than the 16.5st. He could carry me happily and was within the 20% but I felt guilty. And of course he now has arthritis which I worry my weight hasn’t helped. I have since lost 2st and feel much happier with him carrying that. I will continue to try and loose weight. I haven’t really been able to gauge if he feels different due to his issues. When eventing his rider must have been about 8st and I worried about the change over but I was only ever riding him lightly. I used the excuse that he is a big chunky horse but wish I had had a chat to myself sooner.

SWE

Visit site
I feel pretty strongly that riders that are too heavy for their horse are far too accepted at the moment. I'm not saying I have all the answers and can offer an opinion on the perfect science to what is/isn't acceptable, but I just think there's too much acceptance of it.

I think the whole world has gone a bit fluffy tbh and a lot of us would be afraid to say anything, and so it continues... But it doesn't sit right with me.

[59668]

Visit site
There are 2 accounts I can think of on social media that I find very uncomfortable viewing. As mentioned above, not because the rider isn't skillful, or able to ride, but mostly because every time they sit, there is a lot of weight on and behind the cantle. There was a jumping video put up the other day, and there was a lot of heavy landing onto the cantle area.

I agree the whole world has gone a little fluffy. I get that no one wants to upset or hurt anyones feelings, but I can't help but feel the lovely honest horses are suffering somewhat. Any comments that are in any way to do with the riders weight on these accounts, no matter how nicely phrased, are jumped on and torn to pieces, and there are frequent posts about "hate" messages the rider recieves. I have no doubt that there are probably some nasty messages, but also I suspect there may be some that are just honest....

Cutgrass

Visit site
I think I saw that jumping video too. If it's the account I'm thinking of, I'm thinking about unfollowing because of the weight issue. The rider's too big for the saddle and you see her weight behind it often but doesn't even engage in any debate about it, it's all just written off as hate and trolls.

Willowsimmons

New User
Visit site
I haven't seen the video or picture you are talking about, but since you said the person is educated, I want to believe that they are educated enough to carry their weight properly, especially if it is only an occasional thing. When I see 180cm tall trainers schooling small ponies at shows, I usually do not have a problem with it because they are usually carrying their weight correctly enough to not hurt the pony. If this was that person's personal mount, however, that he/she rides every day, I would think that's wrong.

mini_b

Visit site
I think I saw that jumping video too. If it's the account I'm thinking of, I'm thinking about unfollowing because of the weight issue. The rider's too big for the saddle and you see her weight behind it often but doesn't even engage in any debate about it, it's all just written off as hate and trolls.

you can’t say anything as it’s “fat shaming”

I disagree, you are participating in a sport where you are to be carried and expect a certain level of performance from your horse.
I really think you owe it to your horse to be in a “suitable condition” to ride it.

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
I think most people can tell if they are too big for a horse but some (and I only mean some!) ignore it in the same way people ignore their horse being fat.

I was at a dressage competition once and saw a very fine lovely horse being ridden by a very large lady and the horse was clearly struggling. Every time she landed in the saddle the horse would chuck its head and buck so she would smack it and crash down again, cue more bucking. I really wanted to say something, but what could I say as a randomer that wouldn't be offensive? Really stuck with me what I saw, and now I'm so careful about weight and riding.

Rosiejazzandpia

Visit site
I have an account in mind who I find to be uncomfortable viewing. Could you pm me the account you mean OP? Interested to see if its the same.
I used to be very large, too large for my horse so I lost weight and now although on the heavier side of most riders I fit into the under 20% rule easily. It wasn't easy to shed a few stone, but if I was expecting my horse to enjoy riding then I had to put the effort in myself.

People are too afraid to say anything nowadays for fear of being a bully or a troll, but horses welfare must come first.

Littlewills

Visit site
Having now seen the person thats been referred to its actually upset me. The light weight horse is lame and struggling with the weight, the cob copes better but she just doesn't fit into the saddle. Whether the weight is too much for that horse or not, her overall mass is. Those poor, poor horses :(

Roxylola

Visit site
Its difficult, and I haven't seen the original link. But I do think it's one thing having a horse that can carry us for light hacking etc but we expect the horse to perform as an athlete then we need to support that too, by being fit and in the best shape we can. That's not to say people shouldn't ride or compete and it is difficult as I'm sure that anyone overweight knows they are overweight without needing it pointed out. However for me, I pay a lot of money to compete and train. I want to maximise my chances of doing that safely and successfully so I stick with my 5 2 intermittent fasting and I work out on days i dont ride. If I wanted to sit on a B for 10 minutes I'd consider myself ok, if I were schooling or competing one I'd be on a diet before riding it regularly for any time. It's about being the best i can to help the horse be the best they can in my opinion

Cob Life

Visit site
I’m currently 10 1/2 stone, I still worry that I’m too heav/not fit enough. I expect my horse to work hard and be fit so I hold myself to those same standards.

I completely understand that for various reasons some people can not manage their weight but at that point you have to look at the horses welfare and how much you could be damaging them

Winters100

Visit site
I really have to work hard to keep my weight down, so I totally sympathize with people who have difficulty. Apart from needing to be a sensible weight for riding I am after a serious back injury, and I find that the only way to keep it good is to be as close as possible to the lower end of a healthy BMI, but it is a constant battle as I am quite greedy if I am honest, and would happily eat biscuits and cheese if I could get away with it. I would never criticise someone for being over or under weight - not my business and there are many reasons for it - however if they choose to inflict pain on an animal by riding when too heavy then I do think that a close friend would be right to have a quiet word. I am not really sure why but it also seems to be more common in the UK than elsewhere. On our yard (outside of UK) we do have one lady who is overweight, but I would imagine nowhere near 90 kg, and she only walks in the forest on a horse who is built like a tank.

scats

Visit site
Weight is always a sensitive issue, but I am a firm believer that if we expect an animal to carry us, it’s our duty to be in as best physical condition we can to make their job easier.
I hugely deprive myself to keep my weight down, after it creeping up a bit a couple of years ago. I’m very strict about how many times a day I eat and I won’t allow myself a lot of things, because my various medications make weight loss difficult. I do get annoyed sometimes when people say how lucky I am to be slim and light, because it’s actually quite soul destroying to do and I’m always hungry. I just wish they knew the internal battle going on when I’m craving something substantial but won’t let myself have it. I imagine a lot of slimmer people do the same as me to stay this way.

TheSpottyCobby

Visit site
I have a good idea who this is about as their posts pop up on my feed from time to time even though I don’t follow them. It’s the saddle which absolutely gets me and the jumping, it makes me cringe to see so much weight behind the cantle. I believe there is also a third pony!

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
And me...

ETA I have a metabolic thing and struggle too but I ride a heavy horse. I understand the effort it takes and the horrible social pressure. My boy is very sensitive in his back so whatever weight the rider is, they still have to 'ride light' on his back, if that makes sense.