how heavy is tooo heavy to ride a horse?

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I am going to drop myself in it with these and say that I am just over 5ft8 and around 14st7 on the below photos - and I am not a fairy so if someone wants to criticise, you are most welcome (although please be aware that I have an air jacket body protector on over my shirt in the bottom photo).

I have a 19hh (high withered and narrow) Westphalian who is NOT a weight carrier. I don't think I look horrendous on him, although am keen to lose a couple of stone at least (it's a work in progress, I have a hip that causes me chronic pain - waiting for an operation).

However, saying that I would also be someone who would say 15 stone is pushing it for riding them in full work and 16 stone is close to a limit to safely ride apart from a wander up the lane perhaps for a well muscle man who fits in the saddle or similar, despite shamefully almost being there myself. I therefore don't think you can go solely on looks. Yes the Instagram noted looks awful and I would like to go and drag her off those poor animals, but it's quite conceivable that should she be 5ft and have very little muscle tone, she could be only a stone or so heavier than I am..

Capture55.JPG104573995_10157538942413450_3408766192684507877_o.jpg

Last edited:

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Time to dig out the pics from the controversial (issues around whether correct pre approval was obtained) pilot study by Sue Dyson into rider weights. Rider weights ranged from 60.8 kg to 142.1 kg. All horses weighed between 500 to 600 kg.

https://veterinaryrecord.bmj.com/content/182/11/305

8571E376-B07C-4239-A013-63D8F46B65F1.jpeg
9758D488-35DE-486C-B976-176321657E82.jpeg

Roxylola

Visit site
I dont think it's as cut and dried as a particular weight is ok and more than that is not. It's back to how well you fit in a saddle etc. A short fat person is going to be more awkward in a saddle than a taller heavier person who is well muscled. Apart from anything else you're inevitably going to be less secure, and therefore more potential to be unbalanced and cause the horse discomfort and you're putting yourself at more risk of a fall or injury

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
She is short and the weight issue is not as bad as I expected. The saddle fit is a big problem as ObaC says. I can't see the videos, so I can't comment on whether the horses are struggling with her weight but the saddle fit is inexcusable whether they are or are not.

LegOn

Visit site
I dont find that very comfortable to watch - many because the mechanics of the riding, she is a very good rider but the reality is when she rises in the trot, she isnt actually leaving the saddle so the force of her weight is never off the horses back. On the jumping videos, she appears to land very heavy after each jump despite the jump going very well & position being good, again its seems the force of her weight pushes her forward onto their neck.

The horses dont appear to be struggling and do go very nicely for her - probably better than my horse goes for me! :p:D

But the issues are usually not seen now - there is a lady who goes for lessons with my instructor and would be a similar height and weight to this girl but would rider much bigger 'hunter' style horses - any horse she has had, has developed issues by the time they are 10/12 due to kissing spines or pelvic issues and cant be ridden anymore and these are weight carriers! She hunts and jumps alot but the question would remain, would the horses still be able to do their jobs at that age had they had a lighter rider over their ridden career. Unless there was a study over time, you can only assume what the answer would be.

Winters100

Visit site
Seriously? I can understand not chowing down on 6 mince pies, 24 pigs in blankets, and a bucket of Quality Street - but worrying about eating fruit is a bit batshit!

Not really though, because fruit has a lot of sugar and quite a lot of calories, about 40 or 50 for a satsuma. It might not sound a lot, but if you eat 3 or 4 you might as well have eaten a mince pie! I gain weight very easily, so I really do need to restrict myself not to gain weight.

mini_b

Visit site
This isn’t even the one I was thinking about!!! So that took me by surprise.

there is another Instagram/Facebook type blogger who also rides a dark coloured cob, also similar size to this lady who I thought you were all referring to. She’s not quite the same sort of rider as this girl and she’s very into matchy matchy that’s how I remember her.
I saw some videos on Facebook and found it very upsetting to watch, have never come across her since or remembered her until this thread!

i found a blog today which basically confirmed everyone on this threads thoughts; you cannot be honest about welfare issues as the rider sees it as a “personal attack” and unless you are a vet, trainer, physio etc you need to mind your own business or words to that effect.

Rosiejazzandpia

Visit site

there is another Instagram/Facebook type blogger who also rides a dark coloured cob, also similar size to this lady who I thought you were all referring to. She’s not quite the same sort of rider as this girl and she’s very into matchy matchy that’s how I remember her.
I saw some videos on Facebook and found it very upsetting to watch, have never come across her since or remembered her until this thread!

i found a blog today which basically confirmed everyone on this threads thoughts; you cannot be honest about welfare issues as the rider sees it as a “personal attack” and unless you are a vet, trainer, physio etc you need to mind your own business or words to that effect.
This is who I thought this thread was originally about. It's sad that everything is now seen as bullying or hate.
I hope that most riders would be aware of their weight and impacting their horses welfare.

Winters100

Visit site
Seriously? I can understand not chowing down on 6 mince pies, 24 pigs in blankets, and a bucket of Quality Street - but worrying about eating fruit is a bit batshit!

Sorry Auslander, but reading your post again I have to say that it is pretty insulting. Fruit is quite clearly high sugar and in any healthy diet should be consumed in moderation.

I am not, to use your phrase, "batshit", and I am very well aware of what constitutes a healthy diet. You demonstrate the problem exactly, those who would like to be mindful of what they eat and to keep within a controlled diet are accused of having a problem. I have a healthy BMI, albeit at the lower end, and would like to keep it that way, both for my own health and for the comfort of my horses. Of course if someone is very overweight they can possibly eat a lot more, not worry about fruit at all, and still maintain or even lose weight, but that is not the case for everyone.

If you are lucky enough to be able to keep your weight at a healthy level without worrying about it beyond not eating "6 mince pies" etc, then good for you. Please however refrain from suggesting that others are "batshit" if they have to restrict themselves a little more to achieve this.

Splash2310

Visit site

She is still pretty active on Instagram. You’re right not quite the same sort of rider. She posted a video recently wearing spurs which caused a bit of a stir - again with the pile ons/personal attacks even when people were trying to make “helpful” comments...

Lammy

Visit site
The one being referred to is blog.of.a.cob on Instagram. Its really bothered me and has been playing on my mind. Shes had a saddle fitter out as there's posts about a new saddle and the fitter has been tagged. Ho the fitter didn't say something I dont know. Shes also winning dressage tests with a horse who is lame and struggling. I just dont get it. How has no one said anything and how are so many people enamoured of whats going on??

She really bothers me too.
And the reason nobody seems to say anything is because all “hate” (I.e welfare) comments are deleted and I think she used to screenshot comments on her weight, post them and get her followers to ‘go after them.’ So all in all she’s not a nice person and certainly can’t take any form of critique.

I cringe every time I see them come up on my search page. The saddles are all far too small for her and just cannot be comfortable for the poor animals.

Reactions: TPO

[59668]

Visit site
She is still pretty active on Instagram. You’re right not quite the same sort of rider. She posted a video recently wearing spurs which caused a bit of a stir - again with the pile ons/personal attacks even when people were trying to make “helpful” comments...

Yes you are thinking of the same one I am. The original one mentioned in this thread and the one you have mentioned are the two that I was thinking of. The spurs made me quite sad.
Got to wonder at these saddlers and instructors. It's so unethical.

Auslander

Visit site
Sorry Auslander, but reading your post again I have to say that it is pretty insulting. Fruit is quite clearly high sugar and in any healthy diet should be consumed in moderation.

I am not, to use your phrase, "batshit", and I am very well aware of what constitutes a healthy diet. You demonstrate the problem exactly, those who would like to be mindful of what they eat and to keep within a controlled diet are accused of having a problem. I have a healthy BMI, albeit at the lower end, and would like to keep it that way, both for my own health and for the comfort of my horses. Of course if someone is very overweight they can possibly eat a lot more, not worry about fruit at all, and still maintain or even lose weight, but that is not the case for everyone.

If you are lucky enough to be able to keep your weight at a healthy level without worrying about it beyond not eating "6 mince pies" etc, then good for you. Please however refrain from suggesting that others are "batshit" if they have to restrict themselves a little more to achieve this.

I didn't mean to offend you - sorry.
I'm aware that fruit is high in sugar, but it's also full of goodness, and i just found it a bit sad to hear someone say that they think twice before eating fruit. There is so much processed food that is full of chemicals, bad fats and sugar, but I have always looked on fruit as a way to enjoy something sweet without feeling guilty.

Winters100

Visit site
I'm aware that fruit is high in sugar, but it's also full of goodness, and i just found it a bit sad to hear someone say that they think twice before eating fruit. There is so much processed food that is full of chemicals, bad fats and sugar, but I have always looked on fruit as a way to enjoy something sweet without feeling guilty.

Thank you. And my apologies if I took your post too literally. The problem with the written word is that you don't see the smile or the tone so easily:)

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

I was very shocked when a type ii diabetic friend said they had been told to lay off fruit.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
I realise I'll probably get some 'dislikes' for this but I was expecting blog on a cob to be much worse based on comments on here.

I've seen smaller, less experienced riders ride more heavily on the horses back than she does. Yes, the saddle doesn't fit her well and I doubt the horse could take a bigger saddle but she seems to balance herself well on the horse. Her horses look to go well for her.

ETA I realise bad videos wouldn't be shared.

Littlewills

Visit site
I realise I'll probably get some 'dislikes' for this but I was expecting blog on a cob to be much worse based on comments on here.

I've seen smaller, less experienced riders ride more heavily on the horses back than she does. Yes, the saddle doesn't fit her well and I doubt the horse could take a bigger saddle but she seems to balance herself well on the horse. Her horses look to go well for her.

ETA I realise bad videos wouldn't be shared.

Did you watch the jumping videos? And the videos of the young coloured mare? Shes struggling to move in some of them. TBH I'm shocked that anyone could think it was ok for someone to ride in a saddle like that, doesn't matter what they weigh, the heavy weight just makes it so much worse.

shamrock2021

Visit site
This is who I thought this thread was originally about. It's sad that everything is now seen as bullying or hate.
I hope that most riders would be aware of their weight and impacting their horses welfare.
I have seen this on YouTube a Canada vlog family . Take offense if you give constructive criticism or just simply advice. Like they had a mare with bad laminitis the horse was very overweight they fad the horse a lot of hard feed the type that full of sugar Evan though the horse had laminitis . They blame it on the grass and not the horses diet . The horse was never ridden because they over horse themselves. If you said anything about it or give advice than you would be labeled as a hater .

Last edited:

conniegirl

Visit site
Thing is you cannot tell weight just from looking at a person and a horses ability to carry that weight varies enormously.

after my miscarriage in may i piled on stupid amounts of weight, far far too much. You’d all be horrified if i said how much, but i didnt look like i was the weight i was (i looked fat but not that fat)
I rode my 13.2hh welsh C, He is built like a brick sh*thouse, He is mature, well muscled, works properly and even though i was well over the 20% mark he happily carried me with no issues.
I would not have competed him at that weight or done much more than the 20min hacks that we were doing but i did ride him and he didn’t have a problem with it (well other than the fact I wouldn’t let him gallop up his normal stretch, which resulted in an argument)
I lost about a stone, did 2 shows and then fell pregnant again so he is happily enjoying the winter off

Apercrumbie

Visit site
I always find these discussions to be quite tricky because fatness tends to provoke some pretty strong reactions, and equine welfare even stronger reactions so it's a bit of a perfect storm of offendedness. (Yes I have just invented a word)

I haven't seen the account mentioned in the OP so I can't comment on that. I will say that while I agree that we should keep ourselves fit for riding and as slim as is reasonable, some people have a very bizarre concept of what slim is and what weights are normal at different heights. I've heard on numerous occasions of women being worried that they were too fat to ride at a size 10 so they slimmed back down to a size 8 - sorry but that is clearly their own issues with weight and nothing to do with whether they are too fat to ride or not, no size 10 is too fat to ride the vast majority of sound horses. (obviously if they are riding a small pony, they may need to keep it more under control). Basically I see a lot of projection of personal issues with weight onto the discussion under the guise of equine welfare. And that's before we get into the issue of height and whether a slim 6 foot man can ride - some people on here would say that at the weight of that man they shouldn't be riding. Tell that to WFP!

Personally, I keep a 10-15% of body weight including tack in mind. Some horses will happily carry more I'm sure but I think it's a useful guide.

Rosiejazzandpia

Visit site
I have seen this on YouTube a Canada vlog family . Take offense if you give constructive criticism or just simply advice. Like they had a mare with bad laminitis the horse was very overweight they fad the horse a lot of hard feed the type that full of sugar Evan though the horse had laminitis . They blame it on the grass and not the horses diet . The horse was never ridden because they over horse themselves. If you said anything about it or give advice than you would be labeled as a hater .
Oh yes, I know the channel well and have commented constructive advice that they had asked for before only to be shot down in flames ? I just refrain from not commenting on anything anymore so sad to see that horses suffer but its good to know that the majority of owners try their best and know when they're too big for the horse they have.

scats

Visit site
I always find these discussions to be quite tricky because fatness tends to provoke some pretty strong reactions, and equine welfare even stronger reactions so it's a bit of a perfect storm of offendedness. (Yes I have just invented a word)

I haven't seen the account mentioned in the OP so I can't comment on that. I will say that while I agree that we should keep ourselves fit for riding and as slim as is reasonable, some people have a very bizarre concept of what slim is and what weights are normal at different heights. I've heard on numerous occasions of women being worried that they were too fat to ride at a size 10 so they slimmed back down to a size 8 - sorry but that is clearly their own issues with weight and nothing to do with whether they are too fat to ride or not, no size 10 is too fat to ride the vast majority of sound horses. (obviously if they are riding a small pony, they may need to keep it more under control). Basically I see a lot of projection of personal issues with weight onto the discussion under the guise of equine welfare. And that's before we get into the issue of height and whether a slim 6 foot man can ride - some people on here would say that at the weight of that man they shouldn't be riding. Tell that to WFP!

Personally, I keep a 10-15% of body weight including tack in mind. Some horses will happily carry more I'm sure but I think it's a useful guide.

I think the 10-15% weight is a good guideline.
The welfare of the horses that we ride should always be put before anything else, and certainly before our ‘right’ (for want of a better word), to ride them. I fear it’s an issue that will only get worse, due to the weight of society increasing all the time. It does need to be addressed and there’s no escaping that it is going to offend people.

Although someone like WFP is arguably heavier due to his height, I have no doubt that he keeps himself in rider fitness and is careful to watch his weight.