How high do you have fences for bounce work?

bollybop

Visit site
Just debating really. Did some bounce grid work over the weekend (three fences where horse lands then takes off again), and I only have them set at fairly small x poles.

How high do people go with this type of jump. My horse is a very capable jumper!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I will go up to about 3'6 upright with mine, TBH I think it is more of a challenge for me than him! It would be a gradual progression from X poles, and not too often as it does seem like incredibly hard work.

TableDancer

Visit site
I don't find I ever need to go higher than 90cm-1m for bounces: you can increase the degree of difficulty/athleticism required by increasing the number (we go up to five) and/or messing with the distances. This is for Intermediate/Advanced event horses.

bollybop

Visit site
I'm only really using them as a gymnastic exercise at the minute to help build up some muscle, we don't do so well with "real" grid work!

star

Visit site
For my BE100 horse I usually build up to a line of 5 x-poles but not bigger than about 2ft6. They do seem to find them seriously hard work! Sometimes just do 2 fences so a single bounce and will put that up to 3ft - they use a bounce like that in Novice/Open JAS so I will have to have a practice again soon as nearly that time of year!