How horses are portrayed in the movies . . .

PolarSkye

Visit site
Watching The Horse Whisperer . . . is anyone else bothered by the implausibility of the sequence when they transport Pilgrim to Redford's ranch? Pilgrim is supposedly unhandleable - so presumably can't be taken off and reloaded onto the trailer safely - and they drive for miles and miles . . . they do a little sightseeing on the way, stop for lunch/overnight - what about the horse? He doesn't get to stretch his legs, rest, graze, roll? How long did he (theoretically) spend in that trailer? Can you tell it really bugs me? And, yes, I know there are far bigger issues in the world to worry about . . . but . . .

Also, does it bother anyone else that horses in movies are waaaaaay more vocal than in real life? I get that perhaps they feel they need to make them more interesting to non horsey folks . . . but horses just aren't that flipping vocal - not even Kal who is the most talkative horse I know.

Any other inconsistencies you can think of.

P

Spudlet

Visit site
In the book, the horse is left in the trailer for ages - he describes how nasty and dirty it gets, and how they have to try and rake the muck out without getting kicked in the head. So the film is being true to the book, but in I guess they thought showing how manky the trailer got wouldn't look pretty enough.

The one that irritates me most is the horse in The Two Towers that magically grows a bit... I love those films, so niggles like that do annoy me! Also, the horse in Stardust that magically grows a saddle. I mean, why?!

WeedySeaDragon

Visit site
The noisy horses thing drives me nuts, riding would be a nightmare if they all neighed as constantly as they do in the movies!!

I wondered that about the Horse Whisperer as well. I also noticed that he's got reasonably new looking shoes on shortly after arriving at the ranch. Who put those on the supposedly unhandle-able horse? And when?

It also bugs me at the end of Hidalgo when he lets the horse go, supposedly to live free, and he's still shod :rolleyes:

Kat

Visit site
I think the book of the horse whisperer gave some consideration to the logistics of the journey if I remember rightly, although I can't remember what they did.....

Horses are much more vocal on tv/film although mine is very vocal so I keep thinking I might hire her out for sound effects! She mainly snorts and wuffles but neighs and squeeks sometimes too :D

Spudlet

Visit site
They stopped over at places, but they couldn't unload - there was one place where the proprietor said he'd get Pilgrim unloaded, who then limps back in covered in mud and says he left the horse on the trailer.

Yep, I have read the book one or two times:eek:

scrunchie

Visit site
Horses in movies/on TV never poo! Fact. I saw the Saddle Club the other day and they were "mucking out" clean straw!

And the dance scene in Black Beauty (1994) really irritates me!

I think the only film I've seen where the horse is portrayed like in real life is National Velvet. No silly noises. No talking horses. I've always wondered what state his feet were in after he jumps the wall and lands in a garden in some vegetable frames. You hear glass breaking but the horse doesn't appear lame afterwards.

amy_b

Visit site
Also, does it bother anyone else that horses in movies are waaaaaay more vocal than in real life?P

Yes!! sometimes it doesnt bother me but others when they whitter all the way through the film it is totally unrealistic!!!

Also, the horse in Stardust that magically grows a saddle. I mean, why?!

I noticed that ;)

Dont get me started on the riders' hair when they take thier hat off. this is why men have unrealistic views of horsey girls!!!! ;)

EquestrianFairy

Visit site
Let's not forget how in these movies people can go for a gallop and both horse and rider are able to come back neither sweaty nor remotely tired!

tonitot

Visit site
The old Black Beauty annoys me, one minute he's a small cart horse then he's a tall TB type. One minute his feet are all black, next he's got white socks. Drives me mad!

I love the horse in Tangled though, I know it's a cartoon but thats why it doesn't annoy me as much :p

PolarSkye

Visit site
The old Black Beauty annoys me, one minute he's a small cart horse then he's a tall TB type. One minute his feet are all black, next he's got white socks. Drives me mad!

I love the horse in Tangled though, I know it's a cartoon but thats why it doesn't annoy me as much :p

Tangled - me too. But that horse is more like a dog . . . but in another way he reminds me of Kal . . . picky, quirky and opinionated. Like you, I think it makes me chuckle because it's a cartoon.

P

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
i actually laughed out loud in the cinema when watching the new Planet of the Apes movie. There is a scene where police ride horses into the big group of apes, gorillas etc. Police get knocked off and then the main chimp rides one of the horses.
I dont know about your by Chico would have wet his pants and bolted at the sight of loads of big apes!!

PolarSkye

Visit site
i actually laughed out loud in the cinema when watching the new Planet of the Apes movie. There is a scene where police ride horses into the big group of apes, gorillas etc. Police get knocked off and then the main chimp rides one of the horses.
I dont know about your by Chico would have wet his pants and bolted at the sight of loads of big apes!!

And you just made me LOL . . . good old wimpy KaliBear would certainly have turned three shades of yellow and headed for the hills!

P

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
TV & film horses are always spanish and always have strange bits (as in bridle and bits, not the other sort). I saw an episode of casualty where a young lad be friended a neglected gyspy cob, suffice to say it was a gorg spansh type in fab conditon, well shod. He was kept, unfed in a concrete pen and happened to be left with a rope halter and reins on - badly disguising his bridle and bit.

I also hate it when things are speeded up, or there are close up scenes when that actors are abv not on the horse.

I also hate the lack of hat hair and ruddy cheeks - and as for Katy on Emmerdale, what does she do, is it a lviery yard, riding school, she only appears to have 1 horse, how does she make a profit?

maresmaid

Visit site
Katie pn emmerdale! always in the pub in her riding gear - perfect hair, perfect make up, and no sign of horse snot on sleeves, grubby finger nails, dried horse muck on johds or boots, and i bet she smells more like "christian dior" than "crusty old manure"!

4faults

Visit site
Haha I was just thinking the same about emmerdale. I watched secretariat the other day and although I adore the film I was so annoyed at the amount of noise out of him. Also he was never sweaty despite having just run a race, no poo anywhere, the horse was being bathed what seemed like everyday.

But I do love a good horsey film even if they annoy meant times

ex racer rider

Visit site
The 'wild' horses are always shod. And when the rider as a terrible fall resulting in massive injuries they always seem to have jumped off the side of a horse peacefully trotting along?
and when whatching animal farm the other day a lovely little white grey welsh A was pulling a pony trap only to apear 10 mins later as a dapple grey ISH nearly as big as a bloomin clydesdale.... You can tell the movies arent targeted at horsie people. Same with war horse, as joey is galloping along with a full floweing mane and tail... Whait a mane and tail? Cavelry horses were hogged and their tales banged to prevent them getting caught in the cannons traces, I hate inaccuracy in films

AprilBlossom

Visit site
E4 shows 'wildfire' in the mornings at the moment. If inconsistencies and true to life-ness bother you do NOT watch!

They took a girl who learned western riding in prison to a racing yard with an elderly police horse (stallion, obv) she had fallen in love with, and within a few weeks she's a jockey and racing this horse which becomes some sort of famous racing icon.
It's 'training' consists of being talked to, encouraged to win, fed carrots and the occasional gallop around a track and when racing he changes colour from bay to black to chestnut to steel grey and back multiple times. Fantastic viewing!

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
What annoys me most is when they get a mare to play a male horse role and vice versa. Even worse when it's dogs. It's so bleeding obvious! Grrr!

vickyb

Visit site
I always annoy my OH when we see actors riding on telly by saying "He/she can't ride".(When they are sitting there like a sack of spuds holding the reins like handlebars). You often see one sitting on a horse stationary, but then when the horse is moving it is obviously a stunt rider and shot from a distance. Years ago I got really annoyed about some TV drama that involved a long hunting scene that was filmed in high summer. I know this may seem a petty complaint and they have filming schedules, but it spoilt the whole thing for me.

Walrus

Visit site
Hang on! Does this mean my favourite film racing stripes isn't true to life and accurate?! Don't ruin it for me! :p