How important is show experience for a 2 year old?

Arabelle

Visit site
I would welcome experienced views on this. I have entered my 2 year old into a show at the weekend, but now it gets nearer I don't know if I can be bothered, to be honest. I have had a busy week, and it is all the faff of bathing and plaiting for the sake of a few minutes in the ring that puts me off.

I took her last year as a yearling and she actually won (she is very pretty) but was quite explosive to handle at the busy show ground. Since then, I have taken her to a local riding school a couple of times to get her more used to other horses and crowds.

She is a good little thing at home - has been bitted, is great to handle on the ground and she loads and travels no problem.

Do you think it is important I suck it up and go to the show for the sake of her education? There is no other reason for doing it, as I don't enjoy showing and don't care about rosettes.

I would welcome any and all opinions, many thanks.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
You don't care about the showing or the rosettes but education about being in a busy environment seems important to you.

Take the pressure off, go in your own time. The season is a long way off from finishing so go when you can be bothered to another show.

I did a lot with my yearling but nothing as a 2yo but intend to do more as a 3yo... she isn't intended for a career as a frill collector for me.

Chill! :)

Suechoccy

Visit site
I think you do what suits you and them, and listen to them and see how they are coping and be prepared to change your plans...

Thomas went to his local show at 9am in bustling atmosphere in May 2011 in a trailer, aged 16 months, plaited and clean, and I took his 18yo fieldmate Choccy for my hubby to hold in-hand at ringside. It was awful. They whinnied continually to each other, got stressedout, trod on our toes, and I got told afterwards "leave the fieldmate at home next time so that he concentrates on you."

For the August 2011 show I plaited him for same class but led him there alone with a 2nd human footsoldier to support me. He was 18 months and behaved well. I thought we had it cracked...

Roll on May 2012, he was 2 yrs 4 mths. I did as for Aug 2011 but he was more on-his-toes but just-about kept it in check until the class finished when he threw a tantrum.

Onto August 2012, he was 2 yrs 7 mths. I didn't plait as I had a feeling he was going to be stressy (so I was stressy too which didn't help) and just led him there, with a foot soldier, and he was just about okay in the showering but threw a huge tantrum after he left the ring. I couldn't wait to leave, my confidence hit zilch and his probably did too. A friend said afterwards "he's telling you he can't cope at the moment. Listen to him and change what you are doing with him." It was sound advice.

Over winter he got wintered out in a large mixed-age herd of horses and cattle rather than just his old field mate, and this May he was lightly backed, along with another youngster in the herd. On show day we waited till mid-afternoon, then rode the 2 youngsters with 4 of the adult horses as outriders, up to the showground and then dismounted, watched and chatted. Didn't enter any classes, just stood, watched, ate grass, walked them around. He was totally chilled, a very different beast to August 2012.

Tia0513

Visit site
I think the more exposure you give a youngster helps de-sensitize them to situations etc but you should do it as & when you want. There are plenty of shows to choose from when you do decide to go :)

purplerain

Visit site
If you want to take her for the experience and can't be bothered with the faff of bathing and plaiting, why not take her for a walk around the showground?

I'd intended to show my 2yo last year, but the weather was so generally dismal we didn't get out at all. This year we don't have transport and I'm not paying £100 to hire a box for one inhand youngstock class - I'd rather use our transport fund to take kids and ridden ponies out for more exciting adventures. I'm not stressing about it, he's a generally laid back and well mannered lad. I'm sure we'll get him to some outings one day, but showing isn't important to us either. His first outing will probably be to a walk-trot dressage next year when he's 4, if we get round to backing him then....

LouisCat

Visit site
For me, if I had an explosive one I'd be getting out to lots of little shows just for experience, not necessarily competing

Wheels

Visit site
My youngster is now 4 and he hasn't been to a show yet - we are gradually introducing new horses, been hacking with a couple of friends and to some clinics, will go to do some low key dressage over winter and then to a proper show next year - I don't believe in rushing them to gain experience, would always rather introduce things slowly so they don't have a bad experience

I also prefer to be riding rather than on the ground if I think there is a chance things may go wrong but that might be just me

Echo24

Visit site
I was in a similar situation with you, there was a fun show on the yard and originally I hadn't intended on entering my yearling as I've only had him a month and to be honest, couldn't be bothered! After lots of persuading I did enter him and was expecting a show with five other horses, not 18! Thankfully he was a star but did start to get bored and fidgety towards the end which is understandable. Although it was great experience I don't think we'll be doing anything like that until late next year to give him time to chill out and relax.

Plus I don't fancy paying £100 to hire a horsebox for one in hand show either!

Goldenstar

Visit site
I don't think harms if done in moderation but having had my fingers well and truely burned I avoid buying horses who have been shown a lot when young as too many are fed too much and turn out to be unsound adults it hard to tell so I just avoid them.
OP I don't think you need to do it unless you find it fun.

Arabelle

Visit site
Thank you for all the replies - lots to think about. The general consensus seems to be that the odd show as a 2 year old is not worth getting worked up about - it it only worth going if I want to, my youngster won't suffer if I take the easy option. Good news for me :)

Suechoccy, I found your experiences interesting and helpful. It is reassuring that it is 2 steps forward, one back, for all of us. I think she will find the showground a lot to take in. She is lively by nature, but very sweet & willing - she just needs to learn to channel her energy.

Wheels, I completely agree, I would rather be on board than on the ground with a lively stress head. However she is a very late maturing breed (3/4 Crabbet Arab) so I don't plan to back her too soon.

Being me, now the pressure is off I am considering going....

Wheels

Visit site
lol I wasn't suggesting that you should back any time soon - just that it's the reason my 4 yr old hasn't been to a show yet, I didn't want to take him over the last few years because wanted to wait until he was under saddle