How Is Bay A Solid Horse Colour???

AprilBlue

Visit site
For those who know what a solid horse colour is (chestnut,black,brown and apparently bay), how is bay a solid horse colour if bay is made up of 2 colours: black and brown!!!!!!!

black and brown are 2 different colours so how is bay a solid horse colour if a horse of a solid colour is the same colour all over??!!

someone please explain.

Haha

Visit site
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I have always been taught they are no such colours as white or blacks in horses colours they are either greys or bays:)

KSR

Visit site
Chestnut and black are base colours.. Brown and bay are effects of dilution genes on black and chestnut base colours..

AprilBlue

Visit site
Chestnut and black are base colours.. Brown and bay are effects of dilution genes on black and chestnut base colours..

but if so, then bay should not be a solid colour because on a solid horse colour, we are looking at the coat not the colour of the skin. if so then why isn't fleabitten grey a solid horse colour because if the skin is dark then it should be a solid horse colour from what i have been told. this is really complicated:confused:

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I have always been taught they are no such colours as white or blacks in horses colours they are either greys or bays:)

As stated above, black is one of the two base colours. If there are no other genes acting on it - the horse will be black.

White horses do exist. Unlike greys, they have pink skin and are born white (greys are always born a 'colour' and then grey out over time, they have black skin). Sabino can cause a horse to be white.

Here are three horses with the sabino gene.

Minimal sabino - lots of the base colour (chestnut in this case) can be seen. Although, you can get less sabino markings than this.
220px-SabinoTestedNegforOLWS.jpg

This one has hardly any base colour showing
post-291-1171560318_thumb.jpg

Bingo - the sabino has totally covered the base colour = true white horse.
Aspen-sabino-white.gif

Haha

Visit site
but if so, then bay should not be a solid colour because on a solid horse colour, we are looking at the coat not the colour of the skin. if so then why isn't fleabitten grey a solid horse colour because if the skin is dark then it should be a solid horse colour from what i have been told. this is really complicated:confused:

Does this help

http://www.vetgen.com/equine-coat-color.html

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site

But the skin doesn't change colour between the black 'points' and the brown body of a bay horse.

Solid colour skin (leg/face markings don't count) = solid coloured horse.

Coloured horses have pink skin under the white patches and black skin under the base colour patches. Even a grey and white skewbald has patchy skin.

JustAnotherNeddy

Visit site
Both palomino and roan are solid colours. :)

Seconded.

The only true non solid coat patterns are coloureds or spotted horses.
It is these because the skin does not remain one colour throughout the entire body

Fleabitten greys are still a solid colour too. As are roans and palomino's, cremello, perlino's and other dilutes. All solids.

:)

AprilBlue

Visit site
Seconded.

The only true non solid coat patterns are coloureds or spotted horses.
It is these because the skin does not remain one colour throughout the entire body

Fleabitten greys are still a solid colour too. As are roans and palomino's, cremello, perlino's and other dilutes. All solids.

:)

yeah but solid colours is all about a horses coat colour not their skin colour!!!!!!!!!!!!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Here's a nice simple example. :)

This is a lovely dapple grey. It doesn't matter that he/she has a black mane and black on his/her legs as the skin (ignore leg/face markings) is solid black

martaline-etalon06.jpg

Here is a grey tobiano (skewbald). Can you see how the skin has pink patches and black patches? This is not a solid coloured horse.

cowboy-left-profile-082805.jpg

Second example. :D

Here is a super palomino, this horse has black skin (see muzzle) and is a solid coloured horse. Again, ignore any face/leg markings.

Palomino.jpg

Here is a palomino tobiano (skewbald). Note the pink skin under the white patches and the black skin under the golden patches (easy to see on the muzzle). This is not a solid colour.

1056291_13950981_hd.jpg

Last edited:

JustAnotherNeddy

Visit site
yeah but solid colours is all about a horses coat colour not their skin colour!!!!!!!!!!!!

Coat colours are caused by skin colour! Hence the difference. A flea bitten grey will have dark-light grey skin everywhere, not a pink base covered with black dots. Its a solid all over covering with different hair pigments (similar to dapples)

As those fantastic examples just given show, its the different coloured skin on the main body of a horse that entitle it to the label 'solid' or not.

It's just the way things are, i wouldn't try and challenge it AB, far too many genetics people and high level high knowledge colour people to try and convince otherwise. Hope that helps :)