How is everyone's fields/grass at the moment?

Fools Motto

Visit site
Any mud yet? Anyone moved to their winter routine?

We're doing well down here in the south. Talk of feeding hay has begun, but apart from 1 skinny, no-one else needs/wants it, so... what about you?

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Was doing well until the storms last week when they had to come in for a day or two. A bit muddy but still loads of autumn flush grass so hopefully it will stay dry for another week or two so they get a chance to eat it. (north west on clay)

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
grass is fine, growth has dropped off as you'd expect. ground is perfect-although we've had lots of rain we are getting good weather between the horrid stuff so no complaints here.

Tarragon

Visit site
Grass has recovered from the summer and is doing fine and no mud yet despite the best efforts of the storm last weekend - long may it last!

Fiona

Visit site
No mud, and still a bit of new grass to go (We strip graze) in their summer field.

Even the rain on Saturday didn't make much of a difference.

Fiona

JFTDWS

Visit site
Mine moved into a very well grown field just over a month ago. They've eaten it down, but there's still very nice coverage across the whole field and no mud at all, even with the grim weather this week. I have another field for later in the year, which has a good bit more grass, but I don't plan on letting them see that for a good while yet.

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
Looking beautiful here at Skywalker towers but I know it won't last 😔 have the best grass coverage I've ever had since have lived here and have just had a load of mud control mats delivere and got some foragers for hat feeding on order but still dreading the mud 😫

Still is very cheery to look at lovely green grassy covered field for a few weeks at least after scorchio summer grass and mud of last winter.

Lexi_

Visit site
We’ve moved yards recently so not sure what to expect over the winter but the fields look great at the moment! Probably too much grass if anything - we’ve had to muzzle them both as they were piling weight on.

chaps89

Visit site
We moved onto our winter field 2 weeks ago and the horses have done a good jpb of eating it all down already. It gets quite wet at the front so it's starting to churn up a little already.
I'm actually debating taking Madams muzzle off and I don't think I've ever taken it off this early before (although we've never moved fields this early either)

xDundryx

Visit site
Mine have started winter routine this week mainly due to the evenings drawing in theyre still sporting semi summer coats so have sheets on overnight to keep off the chill. Funnily enough I usually leave them out until bonfire week but they were at the gate looking forlorn in the evenings and jog into the barn. The winter paddock is being fenced in half tomo as it's got a lot of eating good thick grass and i want to make it last as long as possible. My 2 summer paddocks still havent fully recovered from the 6 week drought in the summer, we're in east anglia and still on the whole having mild dry weather x

nikkimariet

Visit site
Moved mine onto winter fields yesterday. They could have stayed on Summer longer but I want the calories in both of mine from the better grass. It means Bruce can go and strim the leftovers on the summer paddocks too :)

Polos Mum

Visit site
Fields look good but personally I don't consider winter fields until Christmas. It's a very long way to go until the end of March (which is when spring starts in Yorkshire!)
At best we are 2 weeks into the 6 months that is winter - so nothing to get excited about yet.

I used to start brining in on bonfire night but the seasons have really moved in 20 years so that's now back to xmas with the delay in the start of spring too.

fidleyspromise

Visit site
We started to hay last week.
Ponies are hungry and attacking the hay with much enthusiasm.
Recently moved to new yard so will see how winter goes. There's a nibble of grass but not much and no mud although our ground is sand so will see if that continues.

Casey76

Visit site
Summer field is empty and horses are coming in hungry on an evening. There is enough for them to pick over, so as they’re fat I’m not haying yet.

The winter field I’ve had my eye on all summer has been usurped by my YO’s new girlfriend, who has moved two ponies on to it (her other two horses are currently occupying the yards biggest winter field, which last year was divided into 4... well I suppose there have to be some perks of being a YO’s gf, right?)

Since my planned winter field is now out of bounds, I’m getting very afraid as to where my two are going to be assigned. Last year was awful, and that was when I had two decent knees to slip down the mud hill with. B has already had mud fever once this year - and that was during a drought! So I’m not at all looking forward to the wet...

Gallidgirl

Visit site
We have moved into our winter field with no mud so far. Horses are still out 24 hours right now. Will start to come in when weather really takes a turn and the field isn’t up to it... normally around the end of October

Fransurrey

Visit site
Far too much grass. In front of shelters already looking slightly muddy. I won't miss that when I move! Have started walking fence back a little, but only one post a day for two ponies. One already has the odd squitty poo, so I daren't give them any more.

CJoe

Visit site
mine is holding up well considering, however, "considering feeding hay", we never stopped since last winter!!!

southerncomfort

Visit site
The 2 summer paddocks are bald but I've got the 2 chubsters in there and supplementing with hay.

I've got another paddock that has some decent grass in and I've put the old mare in there on a track at the moment but will start strip grazing at some point.

The winter field is looking good but I won't put them in there until Xmas as it has to last a long time!

Hollychops

Visit site
Still in the summer field at the moment. both will come home for winter next weekend. their winter field looks lovely at the mo, but by mid Nov i know it will be a soggy mess! We are on clay and apart from spending thousands on drainage there isnt alot we can do apart from manage it.

No hay fed as yet though.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
A week ago I was desperate, place was like a dust-bowl.

I had two options, keep them on the dust-bowl OR move them down to a bigger field (about 5 acres) which had been grazed by sheep and was OK'ish, if a tad rich.

Then of course the rain/gales came over the weekend. Now the grass has grown up a bit more, and they're back in their normal allotted space!

I've got my own place/yard, and here there always seems to be one of two problems: either not enough grass or way too much! Never a happy medium. Right now we're in the "too much" stage.

Shavings

Visit site
scared to say this in case i get the look of death!

we have to much grass, chance is in no work due to my arm, another cob in no work as owner has done her knee, sports horse who is retired in no work, and then the 18'2 shire

they all are fat, went and saw Chance other night (husband took me in his van) he resembled a small house or at least pregnant with twins!!

and our grass isn't showing any signs of stopping!!