How is he looking?

rhino

Visit site
Took a few pics today, and wondered what people thought - weight/muscle/condition wise? How fit do you think he looks, and how old? Would love to know what you think, thanks :D I have asked a couple of people who 'know him' but an independent opinion or two would be good.

5071456d-3485-4032-bd03-a7690a7cd500_zps0dfbadc4.jpg

BSJAlove

Visit site
Weight wise I'd say fine. Very little top line, and he has an upside down neck. I'd say he is in very little work and he's around 14?

I'm going to be totally wrong but worth a go! He has a very pretty face :)

rhino

Visit site
Weight wise I'd say fine. Very little top line, and he has an upside down neck. I'd say he is in very little work and he's around 14?

I'm going to be totally wrong but worth a go! He has a very pretty face :)

Thank you :) He actually has a very well set on neck but it does look odd in this photo.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I think he looks lovely :) If he's doing light or medium work I think he looks absolutely spot on weight/muscle/condition wise. I have an idea of his age from other threads, so I'm not entirely sure what I would say if I didn't know - probably around the 15 to 16 yo mark. :)

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
A good weight but is his bum a bit flat or am I just used to fat boy cob? :eek: No idea r age, I go by the hollows above the eyes for older horses.

rhino

Visit site
Thank you dabdab, niki and ct :) ct - he does have a bizarrely high set tail which makes his quarters look a bit flat :D

I think he's too well known on here, oh well :D

BSJAlove was fairly spot on - he is only just back in work (walking out daily) after nearly 2 years out through injury so not fit and distinct lack of topline. Wee bit out with the age though - he's 23 :)

Mongoose11

Visit site
Bumholes! I was about to post and I would have been the closest. I was going to say what a sweet boy and in really good nick. I would have said he was 20! Darn you woman, you closed the voting too early. He looks very kind.

rhino

Visit site
Bumholes! I was about to post and I would have been the closest. I was going to say what a sweet boy and in really good nick. I would have said he was 20! Darn you woman, you closed the voting too early. He looks very kind.

I'll believe you ;) :D He is a sweetheart :)

Zero00000

Visit site
Looking very well, Im going to guess early 20's as I have a 25yo looking very simular :D

Edited - Should read whole thread before replying **palm face**

sandi_84

Visit site
Wow he's looking pretty bloomin great for having had 2 years off and he doesn't look anywhere near his real age :D Wish my lad had muscles like that and he's getting hacked up and down hills a fair bit right now!

I'm always surprised how decent our field ornament companion pony is looking considering she's done nothing for over a year, maybe that's the secret.... hmm must not tell that to my horse or he will think it's license to become a lawn mower again :rolleyes:

rhino

Visit site
Wow he's looking pretty bloomin great for having had 2 years off and he doesn't look anywhere near his real age :D Wish my lad had muscles like that and he's getting hacked up and down hills a fair bit right now!

I'm always surprised how decent our field ornament companion pony is looking considering she's done nothing for over a year, maybe that's the secret.... hmm must not tell that to my horse or he will think it's license to become a lawn mower again :rolleyes:

:D Think mine has been quite happy on lawnmower duty for the last 18 months. He is quite active in the field (which is why he was injured in the first place :rolleyes: ) so I do think that really helps :)

He looks grand :D

Thank you again CT :D

glenruby

Visit site
Looks good condition-wise. I would disagree about having an upside down neck - most certainly not on that photo but could do with abit more muscle along his top line. In that photo however, I would get the impression that he may be a bit stiff and restricted behind which could be a hint at his age. Early 20s? Looking good otherwise and have to admit from previous photos Ive seen, that one doesn't do him justice. One of my favourite horses on the forum.

ETA - obviously I should have read the whole post first!

Last edited:

JFTDWS

Visit site
I think he looks good. Weight is fine, and muscle, well he could have more, but it's hardly likely given his level of work and background...

rhino

Visit site
Looks lovely, and maybe around 11 years?

Thank you, I'll take that as a big compliment :)

Looks good condition-wise. I would disagree about having an upside down neck - most certainly not on that photo but could do with abit more muscle along his top line. In that photo however, I would get the impression that he may be a bit stiff and restricted behind which could be a hint at his age. Early 20s? Looking good otherwise and have to admit from previous photos Ive seen, that one doesn't do him justice. One of my favourite horses on the forum.

ETA - obviously I should have read the whole post first!

Hehe, no I'm glad you commented. He does have a touch of arthritis in one of his hocks (hardly surprising) but he is also a lazy git and always needed a lot of 'keeping together' when ridden. When he feels like it he is more than capable of using his hocks :D

may264_zps6bfb9c97.jpg

Idiot creature! For some reason poles on the ground have always induced brain-frying excitement, even at 23 he squeaks when he sees them :rolleyes:

He's a sexy boy, and luuuuuuuurves his 'trotting' poles! :)

As above :D Was nice to see him enjoying himself so much :D

WOOOHOOOO!!
So pleased to hear that :D

I think he looks good. Weight is fine, and muscle, well he could have more, but it's hardly likely given his level of work and background...

Thank you :) Hopefully will be able to build a bit more topline in the next few months if he remains happy under saddle