How is his condition?

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
Kasper today.

Gelding, rising 5, 16.2hh approx, unshod.

Fed daily 1 scoop chesnut horse feeds 'alfa easy', 1/2 scoop Baileys fibre plus nuggets, 4 or 5 big carrots and approx 1/3 of a small bale of hay.

Schooled for 30 minutes approx 4 times a week. Hacked once or twice a week.

How do you think he is looking coming out of winter?

20140404_1624011_zps68874c78.jpg

Last edited:

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
he looks fine for coming out of winter but could do with a bit more topline..(.too lean if it was october time.) .. he is not doing ahuge amount of work and i would expect him to be carrying a little more weight as a third of a bale of hay is quite a bit if he is also grazing in the field. might be worth a worm count to make sure ....he is a lovely type

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
I think he looks great! Nice to see a lean horse for once, I've tried my hardest to keep mine slim but most others are extremely fat coming out of this mild winter! He needs more topline but he's only young.

Mellis

Visit site
He's still young, and standing badly so top line looks less good. Will develop this year and do you proud!

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
I think he looks great! Nice to see a lean horse for once, I've tried my hardest to keep mine slim but most others are extremely fat coming out of this mild winter! He needs more topline but he's only young.

topline is a work in progress as he is still at the teenage 'i'm going to resist a soft contact stage' so isnt working over his back as well as he could be but we are getting there slowly.

Worming is up to date so that shouldnt be an issue.

I think his big head makes his body look leaner than it actually is!! lol

buddylove

Visit site
I too think he looks a bit lean but I think it is because his bum needs to catch up with his front end. He is still maturing, give him another 2 years and he will look a different beast altogether 😉

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
Lunging my youngster in an equi ami (or similar) really built up topline :) it is not bad though, he still looks good ! He's a big horse too, so he will take longer to mature. The photo does give the impression that he is a bit smaller somehow ! All of my horses have large heads, particularly my 14.2hh mare- hers is massive! when she has a bulky muscly neck it looks normal sized :D

Spring Feather

Visit site
I think his big head makes his body look leaner than it actually is!! lol

Once he has better weight/muscle on him, his head will not look big. When I take in horses in need, their heads are always larger than their bodies proportionately. Once they have good feeding and start getting into a work schedule their bodies develop and the heads no longer look too big.