How long after a broken humerus are you back riding?

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
trust me you could have a long road ahead. I was off work from Nov 18th 2013 - mid June, 2014 no driving hubby dressing me feeding me etc and then only light duties

here are some of my pictures
brokenhumerus3_zps8a192e7f.jpg

brokenhumerus11_zpsb92e9a3e.jpg

20140509_120159_zps273923e0.jpg

20140809_2105561_zps4628bbfd.jpg

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Anyone here broke the top of their arm? I broke mine four weeks ago and im wondering how long it took people to get back riding, and if they needed a lot of physio? Doc says my shoulder and elbow muscles will be wasted and need time to rebuild.

Anyone else been in the same boat? if so, when were you back onboard?! its driving me mad not being able to ride!

You will get a lot of muscle wastage, mine got so bad as they kept fobbing me off surgery each time i went it different advice. I started at the pool holding a float as i could not hold my arm up away from my body so it took from jan to june to regain any sort of movement.

I did not have loads of physio as I went to the pool under my own steam and increased movement on my own but it was long and very hard.

the pool helped me even though the bone was moving during that time it helped me build up the muscle which increased surgery healing and healing after.

Done again I would wait 10 weeks tops before surgery.

windand rain

Visit site
I started physio in the pool too as I couldn't move my arm at all it took a very long time to get to the point I could put my had high enough to open a door or hold a cup in fact I got 3rd degree burns on my leg when my hand refused to hold a cup of black coffee and I couldn't hold the cup and move the hot liquid off my leg with the other hand. My fear of falling anywhere at all took years to go I broke my arm tripping while holding something and landed on my elbow so the resultant smashed bone was in too many bits to pin without damage to my radial nerve so I spent nearly 6 months in physio and with it hung round my neck to let gravity do its job. I suspect either a simple single break or one that had been pinned and plated may well take less time but have more interference than one left for nature to take its course

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
True but after 3 months my bone was still moving as much as ever the healing had started on one side but not the other so any movement the bone shifted away from my body so all healing was nearest me, thus scar tissue was forming in the gap and left alone would have caused me to have a deformity in my arm
As you can see from this X Ray the only healing was on one side shifting the bone sideways and away from the original position

brokenhumerus4_zpsc8da500b.jpg

GermanyJo

Visit site
Took me a year, was plated with a ton of screws ( pics in one of my previous threads) mine was quite complicated and the bone did not want to heal