How long after accident until being ridden...?

littleboyblue

Visit site
In a nut shell...
My pretty much retired companion pony who i used to ride at the weekends on gentle hacks got hit by a train in october (i didnt actually see it as i was stuck in the house with a broken ankle, but the train was going 60mph and flipped him up, he got stuck between the rails and was out cold for 20 mins then somehow managed to get up walk into the horse box and get taken home. The vet gave him a cocktail of drugs, reaconed he wouldn't make it through the night, but after a month of box rest he was still fine and well (!) hes such a wee star! now he quite happily tanks around the field at full speed.

so...basically what i'm asking is, shoud i just completely retire him or would it be ok to have a wee sit on him every once and a while? thanks in advance for any advice.

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Blimey what a lucky pony. If he's sound and back to normal, I don't see why he couldn't be ridden again, sure you'll know if he is not happy.

Tia

Visit site
Woah! Ditto PBS here......what an exceptionally lucky pony!

If he seems happy within himself and is not stiff or unsound then I can't see any reason why you couldn't ride him......just don't take him near any train lines
crazy.gif

Rachel_M

Visit site
WOW
ooo.gif

I ditto the lucky pony!

If the pony is not showing any ill effects both mentally and physically then I can not see a problem.

Lucky, lucky ponio!

GTs

Visit site
Get a physio out to go over him, see what he says - but to be honest, getting hit by a train is a pretty big ordeal, horses are delicate, without reassurance from someone who has gone over him, I would not get on.

monstermunch

Visit site
I second what GT has said. Although your pony may seem ok he has had a horrific accident and is likely to have soft tissue disruption. I would get a sports therapist or physio out to do some tissue work and give him the once over so that you know for sure he is ok and comfortable enough to ride!
What an incredible pony though, surviving that!
smile.gif

JustKickOn

Visit site
hit by a train and survived! what a lucky little guyy!!!!!

kike GTs said, probably best to get him checked over.

have you heard of them people that can 'speak' to horses, my friend had her horses done by this woman and she could see wht they were thinking and she knew stuff bout them without my friend telling her any stuff about them! maybe you should get one of them people out and see what results they bring.

hope hes okay but he might still be traumatised form the accident. bonding in the satble is what i'd do.

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
What a lucky lucky pony,thats incredible really. Personally i would have your horse checked over by a professional to check for any less obvious pain, he certainly sounds ok but i would just check, he certainly sounds like he could cope with a wee ride but i would just check to be sure as GT suggests, best of luck
smile.gif