How long after birth?

Jade Holleman

Visit site
Hi everyone I am new to the forum. So would like to here from riders out there who have had babies. How long after birth did you get back to riding? I am hoping if all goes well that after my 6 week check I can get on and start riding again. :)

Nic

Visit site
I can't help, I don't have kids yet but I thoroughly recommend HottotTrot's posts on babies & horses, there's one just below this thread & they're hilarious!

Perfect_Pirouette

Visit site
I'm another who doesn't have kids but there have been lots of posts on here about it (try doing a search perhaps, it might throw up old threads) and I think it depends entirely on what type of birth, whether it's natural or c-section. I think a lot of riders have been back in the saddle around 6ish weeks after giving birth??

Firewell on here has not long given birth, she did a post the other day about getting back into riding after, see here http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?627470-We-re-Baaaaack!

Polos Mum

Visit site
When I had my son naturally I was back on after 2 weeks - just a little plod, I had my daughter 9 weeks ago but emergancy C section sadly so I had to wait the full 6 weeks as lots more risk of injury after the big op! If you stayed fit and well during your pregnancy it won't be long.
Congratulations and good luck!

MagicMelon

Visit site
It depends a lot on what sort of birth you have I guess. I had planned for a natural one and to be back in the saddle literally days after, that however didn't happen and I ended up having an emergency c-section and laid up in hospital for 5 days after before I finally demanded to be set free! After a c-section you're meant to wait at least 6 weeks before doing physical stuff. I couldn't ride for a month, the first 2 weeks my c-section was extremely painful (most aren't though I've heard) but after that what limited me messing about with the horses was my blood pressure which went haywire (so felt dizzy a lot which doesnt help when doing water buckets / grooming etc.!). I did begin backing a pony in my 5th week though and actually got thrown off it a week later which smashed my hip (but my c-section was fine thankfully!). It really is up to you as to when you feel fit to get back on. A friend of mine ended up with stitches after her birth, I imagine that would be pretty sore for a while!

HotToTrot

Visit site
Hello! Thanks Nic, tee hee.

Congrats on your new baby. I had a natural birth and no stitches. I felt as if I cld have got straight back on immediately, but my horse wasn't around, he had gone off to a field for a holiday. I got his fitness started by someone else as soon as I had had the baby and I got him back (and got back on him) at 3.5 weeks. I did my first event (a BE 90) at 8 weeks, then straight up to 100.

I felt pretty tired for a while and my aerobic fitness left quite a bit to be desired. I realised in the XC warm up for my first event that I was quite breathless and I wondered whether I was pushing it to be eventing so soon. I am reasonably fit and wld not normally expect to be out of breath whilst warming up for XC, but I think the birth did take its toll.

The six week check was a bit of a waste of time, I thought. The Dr asked how I was feeling, that was about it! My horse is also pretty sensible, I was confident that he wouldn't do anything too bats. Good luck!