How long approx should round bale of hay last two good doers?

Ali27

Visit site
I have worked out that mine each have around 7kg of hay a day plus slice of barley straw and 12 hours turnout during day. Does anyone know how many kg's a round bale weighs?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Don't know how much it weighs but one big round bale lasts our 4 horses and 3 sheep about a week, usually 6 days with a bit left over, so would expect it to last 2 horses a fortnight.

Kallibear

Visit site
Depends entirely on the bale size ( they're all so different) and how generous you are. .
My big horses will eat a bale adlib in 10 days. My friends very fat highland ponies are on megre rations and it last 5 weeks.

PollyP99

Visit site
Are you leaving them with it 24x7 or just 12 hours as per your current 7kg? I give my mare 7kg as you do in her 12 hours overnight BUT if I put her on adlib 24x7 then I estimate this might double.

kerrieberry2

Visit site
round bales in a feeder were lasting me 2 weeks for 2 horses that were out 24/7 and eating at it every time I went up! but they did chuck a fair amount on the floor too!

Ali27

Visit site
I had small bales from end of Oct to end of December and used 3/4 a bale per day with added barley straw! I have been on round bales of hay for last 6 weeks and I'm finding that they are only lasting me around 9 days! Last winter, I used large round bales and my one mare was on box rest so on four Haynets a day and other one only went out for 5 hours a day and that would last me around 9 days too! These bales seem heavy enough but don't seem to be lasting very well! They are from a very reputable farmer too!

FfionWinnie

Visit site
No two balers make the same bales and some people put as little as possible in to get more bales to sell!

We have a new customer who bought a round bale from a local farmer. It was rubbish made them cough and lasted her two horses 7 days. She now buys our round bales which are top quality and last her horses 18 days.

The difference is our baler is set to make the heaviest bales it possibly can.

Merrymoles

Visit site
No two balers make the same bales and some people put as little as possible in to get more bales to sell!

Too true - at my last year, the YO baled them so loose they should have been in a shop window in Amsterdam and it was all down to charging per bale when he sold them. His haystack was a sight as the bales were too weak to support any weight and were leaning and sagging all over the place!

Current yard bales are nice and heavy and last our two approx. two weeks, although they do have grazing as well.

NellRosk

Visit site
My 2 ID's are go through a round bale of hay every 7 days. One is restricted and one is adlib. I would expect in your circumstances it should last 2 weeks at the very least.