How long between buying and collecting pony?

05jackd

Visit site
Without going into too much detail. Friend advertised a pony a month ago. Lots and lots of interest and first viewers left a deposit and said they would arrange transport. That was now three weeks ago and despite my friend chasing and offering names of local companies no transport seems to have been arranged and no date given. Has anyone had an experience like this?

Obviously lots of problems- what if pony gets injured before they collect? And she’s put off loads of other potential buyers once deposit received.

05jackd

Visit site
The deposit was paid in cash so I’m unsure how she would refund it if they won’t reply? It’s just a difficult situation but I feel they are taking the Mick. Other option is offering to deliver?

I'm Dun

Visit site
It took me 3 weeks to collect mine, but I let the owner know daily what was happened, gave her an timescale and paid livery. At every step I offered to let her sell to someone else. Luckily she didnt. Things do happen, but genuine people bend over backwards to work it out.

The pony has been here a few months now, I adore him, his owner is thrilled with how I keep him and it all worked out. Had I just gone AWOL for 3 weeks I would have expected to lose my deposit and the pony!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
The deposit was paid in cash so I’m unsure how she would refund it if they won’t reply? It’s just a difficult situation but I feel they are taking the Mick. Other option is offering to deliver?

If there’s been no communication from the buyer, I’d send one final message saying pony must be collected within 48 hours or sale is void and it will be re-advertised.

Simples.

Antw23uk

Visit site

Message them, say the pony is being advertised again and the deposit is in an envelope ready for them to collect by prior arrangement.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I did once leave a horse I had bought with the vendor for 3 weeks, while we built an additional stable for her,. The horse was used to coming in overnight and it was January but I left a deposit and kept in touch with the vendor. Dad was actually putting the finishing touches to the stable as the mare walked into it.
I would send a final message by whatever means has been used to communicate in the past and give them 48hrs to pay in full and collect the pony. I certainly wouldn't offer to refund the deposit, that has been used that to keep the pony over the last 3 weeks.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
If there is no written agreement about what the deposit was for and under what conditions it could be returned or kept then it is hard to know what the legal posiition actually is. I think people do now sometimes just put a deposit down to buy themselves some time as opposed to securing the sale. It is normally a deposit to secure prior to a vetting but what if they then never arrange the vetting?

In practice though I doubt this will get anywhere near a lawyer. So I would inform them that unless they collect within 48 hours the sale is void and the deposit lost as you have lost valuable time and have incurred costs which the deposit will cover.

Then readvertise. If they make an issue of getting the depsot back you can return it but I would not be volunteering to return it at the moment.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I'd send them by recorded delivery (and/or text or acknowledged e-mail if that's the only contact details you have with them) a detailed Invoice for livery fees for the interim period to include stuff like livery fees, hay, bedding, feed, farriery etc., and along with the invoice insert a piece about "please note if horse not collected within .......... days then it will be offered for re-sale forthwith and the deposit paid will be retained to cover livery fees".

If this doesn't sharpen their minds sufficiently then I think you would be perfectly legally justified in retaining the deposit and putting the horse back up for sale.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Without going into too much detail. Friend advertised a pony a month ago. Lots and lots of interest and first viewers left a deposit and said they would arrange transport. That was now three weeks ago and despite my friend chasing and offering names of local companies no transport seems to have been arranged and no date given. Has anyone had an experience like this?

Obviously lots of problems- what if pony gets injured before they collect? And she’s put off loads of other potential buyers once deposit received.
Too long without contact. I would write or send a message, that its been too long, and your now opening the pony up for viewings.

It would worry me, that they were not serious, and in light of recent post like this, would worry me for the pony's sake. Offer to send the deposit back or they risk loosing it.

Birker2020

Visit site
Vetted on the Tuesday and collected on the Friday.
Previous horses vetted on the Tuesday and collected on the Thursday.

If you have gone to the trouble to source a horse and have it vetted you want it in your possession asap in case it has an accident.

05jackd

Visit site
I’m glad it’s not just me that thinks they are taking the mick. Lots of useful advice and experiences. Selling can be such a nightmare. Particularly annoying when she’s rushed to get his annual booster done early and feet to ensure he is ready to go.

Meadow21

Visit site
I would contact them and set a deadline or ask for livery/bills paid until they are able to collect, or offer a deposit refund and re-advertise the pony. There might be a genuine reason for not collecting (awaiting livery space availability/issues) however they should disclose/communicate issues. When I bought my boy I was given a week to collect after agreeing to buy. Once this week was up I had to pay full livery and exercise costs and pay up everything for the horse. If I did not follow this the horse would be advertised again and my deposit NOT refunded. This did sound strict at the time however it makes sense as it avoids these people who take the piss, and as I was a serious buyer I collected my boy 2 days later. I was told this arrangement when I originally contacted the sales yard, before i had viewed and had to agree i was comfortable with this. I would personally contact them and offer a refund and re-advertise the pony, I would be concerned where the pony would end up with the buyers acting this way.