How long can you continue working with horses?

emmab13

Visit site
I'm 28, and until last year was pretty robust and unbreakable.

After a few heavy falls in quick succesion I am now a bit of a cripple!

I have ridden up to 20 a day, mucked out about the same, and always loved my body, not for what it looked like but for what it could do.

I can still do what I used to, but don't stay on/bounce like I used to. And it really starts to HURT by about 3 o'clock.

So who is the oldest person who still makes their living from horses?

Batgirl

Visit site
My YO is 40 this year and she backs horses, schools them for people and events and competes at dressage for people. (wouldn't like to hazard a guess at Mary Kings age :) )

Enfys

Visit site
(wouldn't like to hazard a guess at Mary Kings age :) )

She was two years above me at school, so I know, her Birthday was earlier this month.

I make my living with horses, liveries, whatever I breed, buy and sell, and whatever else happens to be on the farm at the time, and I am old enough to be your mother Emma :) Anything rather than actually go out and work for someone else. :D

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
I was still 'working' well into my 50's although in the latter years it quietened down a bit so was only full broodmare and youngstock livery rather than hunters/pointers and I gave that up just to have my own as the body was beginning to give out from all the abuse over the years. Now at least, if I decide not to do things as thoroughly as I once would it's nobody else affected except mine and they don't complain as long as their tea is on the table and they have clean beds.

Look after your body, it's the only one you have and what you skimp or struggle on now will catch up with you later, sure as eggs is eggs.

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
Depends on what you do, my boss is knocking on nearly 70 and is still helping to hold foal for the farrier. He doesn't need to but will lead mares and foals to the paddock etc too. And we are talking TBs here not quiet horses by any stretch of the imagination.
I doubt I will last that long. I've given up riding for work as I no longer feel that riding breakers is much fun (am nearly 30).

igglepop

Visit site
Where i learnt to ride the lady has just shut the riding school 3 years ago at the age of 65 she still has a livery business, hack and competes and is know to race horses ago fields beating any youngster who dares to challenge her.

LollyDolly

Visit site
Well my Grandad is still working with horses and he is 69 years old tomorrow! And he is still going strong, although he does spend most of his time at the yard holed up in the greenhouse tending to his tomatoes aha!

Potato!

Visit site
A lady I used to work for has decided to close her riding stables this year at the grand old age of 84 I think. She is an amazing lady and if I can do half of what she does at her age I would be very happy indeed.

Aoibhin

www.Emmaevans.barefootbooks.com
Janet Rodgers who used to run the film horses company of the same name must have been in her 70s back 10 years ago when i first met her & was still riding, working & doing stunts. she also had tha ability to make the entire yard stand stock still in fear when she shouted (horses,staff & clients)

Jenna c bigg

Visit site
Hi.
Wow 20 a day thats impressive!! I am now 30 and also had probs with aches and pains, been riding since the age of 5.
I found yoga, swimming and glucose-amine very helpful.
Plus a good worm up before riding. I think every one forgets just how physical the sport is, because you are sat on some thing. I all ways ask my classes to stretch first. Just like my horses. Hope that didnt sound patronising!!! :confused:
You use muscles, tendons, and ligerments you dont use when walking, cycling etc.
I found it so much easier to do my work, and to not get injured so easerly too.
X

Rose Folly

Visit site
I'm retired - never worked for a living with horses - but have ridden since I was 4. Now I'm 67 and just have 3 grass liveries and my own horse. The owners for various reasons do not come every day, so while summer is easy in winter I feed, rug, do haynets, muck out (they have access to 2 barns), go for horse food, roll haylage bales around etc. etc.

In the last 2 years I have become very arthritic, and matters weren't helped by one really difficult horse who knocked me down on a couple of occasions, doing damage to my shoulder. It really gets to me becuase I move so much more slowly, and can't lift the things I used to etc. But I just try to work round the problems and give myself more time.

As at least one of the posts has said, do look after your body, as it's the only one you've got! How true.

There's only one upside. I really think horses like old people, who move more slowly and deliberately around them, and who are experienced, quiet and calm.
'My' 4 are lovely to handle, and I often think they make allowances for me.

But long gone are the days when I thought it was fun to ride a bucker, or ride bareback on one horse leading three others, at a canter, in from the field. My father hunted until he was 82, but I won't hunt again now - happy hacking round the lanes is my limit.