how long did it take your new horse to settle properly?

Hjarvis

Visit site
Am sooo happy - have had denz for about 8 months now and he's always been a bit of a grump - ears pinned to the back of his head and generally not interested in any kind of affection. Not that you can blame him poor horse has not had the best of starts to life. Have spent a lot of time trying to make friends, whilst at the same time letting him know that i'm boss (kind of!). Went to the field yesterday to bring him for a groom and expected the usual ears, attempts to bite and general unfriendliness to him walking towards me ears forward and standing to be caught! He was good as gold to groom and we managed to have lots of cuddles. People that were with me said that it may have taken him this long to settle and trust - just wondering if it had taken anyone else's horse this long?
Have fingers and toes crossed that i get the same response today and we can have another lovely day playing in the sunshine!!
cool.gif

BobbyMondeo

Visit site
Aww thats great news
laugh.gif
It can take some horses a long time to settle and trust new people especially as you say he hasnt had the best of starts. Hopefully he will be happy to see you again today and relationship will get better and better
laugh.gif

marmalade76

Visit site
I once had a very sensitive and highly strung horse that took six months or more to settle when I bought him. We went through the same again when I moved yards but he didn't take quite so long to settle that time.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
It took my horse quite some time to settle fully when I first had him.

Now, we're like an old married couple.........
grin.gif

Slinkyunicorn

www.rutlandhorseextras.co.uk
They say it takes a year to really know a horse - so I guess you could say that it could take as long for them to get to know you. I would say especially if they have had a bad start it takes a while for them to really trust you - but worth it all when they turn the corner!!
smile.gif
My mare came from a rescue - was hard work for the the first year really - but 8 years on she is fabulous
laugh.gif
- even when she gives you a coblet cuddle!!!!
wink.gif
(likes to squish me under her head and 'cuddle' me to her chest!!)
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

LittleSoph

southeastriders.myfanforum.org
I think I've been lucky as Freddie, despite being only four and having had four owners that I know of and having already moved from one to another in the eight weeks I've had him, seems to take pretty much everything in his stride. Nothing bothers him and he arrived onto the yard as if he'd always been there.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Since the 1st one all our horses have been mares and we find that it can easily take them up to a year to really settle in, both with us and into the herd, (which we keep as stable as possible).
I have just had my IDx 10yr old mare a year now and she has recently become more affectionate and less jumpy when hacking.

IsabelleJ

Visit site
Sidney settled in straight away, looking like he had been born on the yard! We got on fine, but I think it took us about 9 months to really get some kind of bond. It wasn't until the farrier mentioned our bond that I realised how much things had changed between us - he watches for me when I am gone, and nickers when I call his name.

It can take a while, but it is so reward when they realise that you are theirs'
smile.gif

Isabelle