how long do lorry batteries last

scribble

Visit site
My horsebox has 2 batteries to start it. They were fitted around 18 months ago but if it is left for 10days -2 weeks then it is sluggish starting. Has new alternator and belt and this has been tightened. once has run it starts fine on the key but have to hold it if left for 2 weeeks. doesnt have an isolator fitted but did try disconnecting batteries and was a bit better.

dieseldog

Visit site
They normally come with a 2 year gaurantee - check your reciept. I have had to return one once.

You could also try taking the fuse out that works your Tacho - that drains a lot of battery. You need to put it back in when you drive as you won't have a speedo without it

van man

New User
Visit site
i had the same problem with my lorry, if i didnt start it every week the batteries would die, i then fitted a isolator which kills all of the electrics and it can now stand for weeks and start :) , dieseldog is right the tacho draws a lot and drains the battery, it may also be worth getting your battery checked

perfect11s

Visit site
My horsebox has 2 batteries to start it. They were fitted around 18 months ago but if it is left for 10days -2 weeks then it is sluggish starting. Has new alternator and belt and this has been tightened. once has run it starts fine on the key but have to hold it if left for 2 weeeks. doesnt have an isolator fitted but did try disconnecting batteries and was a bit better.
yes disconect or have isolator fitted as other posters have said there is always a small drain on them when the lorry is standing its also good to charge the baterys up once in a while with a mains powered charger as running the lorry wont fully charge them unless you do 100s of miles a week.. it will make them last years longer and make starting easy even in the winter..

eoe

Visit site
My lorries has two batteries and i am just renewing them now after 7 years. I permanetly keep the fuse for the tacho out as my speedo works without the fuse and yes this has helped to make the batteries last longer. I managed to get two new batteries off of ebay with a 3 year guarantee so it pays to shop around.

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
The fact you have two batteries in series means that your vehicle probably operates from 24 volts. Your starter motor should swing in to action each time you start it. You should be able to leave it for several weeeks without starting it. It may not be just the tacho draining the battery there may be something else using it or a short somewhere. A good commercial vehicle auto electrician should be able to diagnose the fault.

Louby

Visit site
I had an isolator fitted for this reason on my last wagon as I was told if not used regular then the tacho would drain the battery, someone I knew just removed the fuse for the Tacho. However I recently viewed a wagon with none of these and it was hardly used and she said she didnt have a problem, The wagon was quite old, shed had it years so Im presuming she was telling the truth.

MGG

Visit site
I don't know the answer to the original question, but the battery in my lorry doesn't hold a charge very well. Having read this I will be sure now to remove the isolator, BUT i have bought a solar powered battery charger. Very cheap (£15?) from Maplin and I stick it on the dash, have the very thin cables run through the hinge of the locked door and under the bonnet and leave it on permanently. I have had no issues since. It doesn't actually need sun to work, just daylight.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site

There may be a problem in your electrics so call in an autio electrician & he can put a meter on everything & see if there is any thing that needs replacing. Really you need to have an isolator fitted. I had one fitted to mine & I never have a problem starting the lorry.

Mike007

Visit site
The usual suspect is the tacho but alternators also leak current and fluorescent lights do too. An incorrectly wired in radio will drink current as well.Damp on the surface of the battery is another culprit. Some trucks seem totaly immune, my DAF never goes flat even without an isolator yet my cargo is flat in a week. The cargo now has a solar pannel and also now maintains its charge.What kills a battery is deep cycling, getting very low and then being roasted by the alternator. Strangely enough, batterys on vehicles with an old style generator will last for many years ,yet the same battery would be dead in 18 months with an alternator. A great money spinner for me is the horse box that wont start in cold weather, the bodge job wiring in of an isolator with a cheap Halfords battery lead:D I love it. You find the plastic half melted on the connector where it has been trying to carry 600 amps and failing miserably.