How long do you leave feeds mixed for?

NellRosk

Visit site
Mine have supplements in their breakfast and they're not being mixed up enough by the staff in the morning when speedi beet is added so they're not eating the dry bits. How long do you all leave feeds mixed for? If it was mixed at 6pm and fed at 8am the following day would it go sour? Feed in question is chop, grass nuts and speedi beet.

joulsey

Visit site
That should be fine. We always mix the previous day/night for the following morning when somebody else puts it in for us.

Holzdweaver

Visit site
I soak my boys feed of speedibeet and grass nuts at night, to be split up for the next morning feed and his tea and it has been fine, had no troubles with it going bad or anything

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I'm going to rain on your parade and say I would NEVER leave feed out overnight. I used to have DIY liveries that did and its the only time I saw mice in the feedroom, even when they had covers on.

Have you spoken to the staff/yard owner about it?

NellRosk

Visit site
I'm going to rain on your parade and say I would NEVER leave feed out overnight. I used to have DIY liveries that did and its the only time I saw mice in the feedroom, even when they had covers on.

I was going to leave them in a feed bin so surely mice won't be an issue? No, I don't want to seem like a whinging livery and it'll save them time in the morning. I'm a little OCD about feed too so would rather mix them myself anyway!

khalswitz

Visit site

We leave ours in feed bins when soaked, otherwise I would agree, mice will be about.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Depending on the supplements, they can make the feed a bit bitter if left overnight and fussy horses may not eat it. I have one that happily eats it after standing overnight but another will not and the supplements have to be added at the last minute.

I premix my supplements into a little tub ready to be tipped in and stirred just before they are fed but they do need to be stirred in well or Mr fussy won't eat.

Joyous70

Visit site
I mix mine overnight and leave in my dustbin which is my feed bin, my girl eats hers up fine, at the moment she's getting antibiotics and ventipulmin in her feed, but i add that myself in the morning prior to feed as i worry they may not be as effective if left overnight.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
If they're in a feed bin and dry they shouldn't get mice accessing them. I wouldn't leave feed damp overnight. Imagine eating a bowl of cornflakes that had had the milk put on the night before...

You wouldn't seem like a whinging livery if you just said it nicely - that your horse is leaving the dry bits at the side and you're worried he isn't getting the supplements. Its a fair comment not a whinge..

khalswitz

Visit site
If they're in a feed bin and dry they shouldn't get mice accessing them. I wouldn't leave feed damp overnight. Imagine eating a bowl of cornflakes that had had the milk put on the night before...

You wouldn't seem like a whinging livery if you just said it nicely - that your horse is leaving the dry bits at the side and you're worried he isn't getting the supplements. Its a fair comment not a whinge..

My horse gets soaked feeds, so they need soaking for 15 mien anyway - they're not going to be much soggier left overnight, if anything they evaporate a little.

Plus I love soggy cereal, I put the milk in before I have a shower so it's soggy before I eat. But I am weird.

NellRosk

Visit site
Plus I love soggy cereal, I put the milk in before I have a shower so it's soggy before I eat. But I am weird.

Vom!! My 2 actually prefer soggy feeds though come to think of it, sometimes on a weekend I make up teas at about 11am so it's quicker when I come up in the afternoon and they wolf it down a lot quicker than usual!

khalswitz

Visit site
Vom!! My 2 actually prefer soggy feeds though come to think of it, sometimes on a weekend I make up teas at about 11am so it's quicker when I come up in the afternoon and they wolf it down a lot quicker than usual!

Yum :D Something like Weetos or Coco Pops that are all chocolatey as well is extra yummy. :D

Mine certainly likes his to have soaked longer, but his teeth aren't just the best - he struggles with too much chaff, so we started on the soaked feeds. I don't leave soaked for longer than evening to morning (or vice versa) though.

NellRosk

Visit site
Yum :D Something like Weetos or Coco Pops that are all chocolatey as well is extra yummy. :D

Mine certainly likes his to have soaked longer, but his teeth aren't just the best - he struggles with too much chaff, so we started on the soaked feeds. I don't leave soaked for longer than evening to morning (or vice versa) though.

I actually feel a bit sick at that! Someone once brought HOT SOAKED weetabix to work to eat at break time and I actually had to leave the office whilst he ate it..

Oh bless him. Well I'll try it and see how it goes!

p87

Visit site

OMG ME TOO!!! I've always been like this, my mum used to think I was just wasting time in the mornings before school but I was just waiting for my cereal to soggify lol I've never known anyone else to do this, everyone always boaks at me for it lol :)