How long do you leave your dogs for?

Tobiano

Visit site
I am lucky that I only work a few days a month and on those days my dog goes to her 'auntie' and has fun with her and her own 2 dogs. Otherwise the longest I will leave her in the daytime is 4.5 hours tops, with a big long walk beforehand - probably about once a fortnight if that. (Today I was out from 10 to 6 pm and she went to her auntie). If I am out in the evening (very rare!) I will leave her for a longer period - after 9 pm she has normally switched off for the night so I wouldn't worry about leaving her even til 2 or 3 am. (ha ha, as if I was ever out that late!). I always explain how long I am going to be, make a big fuss if it's going to be a long time, less fuss if its shorter, it is probably totally idiotic but it helps me to think she has an idea of when to expect me back!!

Snuffles

Visit site
I have left mine for 5 hours maximum. then I get twitchy if Im held up. If I know Im going to be longer he goes to a dog sitter for the day. I suspect he'd rather be left at home in peace as the sitter usually has several dogs in and apparently he spends the day on the sofa out of the way !

Damnation

Visit site
5hrs, Dad works from home so no issue really.

If longer we have a friend 2 miles down the road who will come and fuss them for an hour if needs be.

Me and OH would dearly love to get our own place and have a dog but I suspect that with both of us working full time, unless he is in walking distance of the house for lunch times it won't be feesable for a long time.

madlady

Visit site
Ours very rarely gets left - OH is pretty much retired - at most he may work a couple of hours a day. On those occasions she gets left in a stable which she is used to as she spent the first 4 years of her life as a working dog and is used to being in a stable.

If we are going out for a night or to a daytime do or something she gets left in a stable with shavings down (she knows it's ok to 'go' on shavings) and a cushion for her to sleep on - there is food and water for her as well.

Other than that the most she gets left at home is 3 hours if we go out for a meal or something.

C1airey

Visit site
Mine come with me pretty much wherever I go. I work from home most days, and they are allowed in the office when I do go in.

The longest they are left is probably in the car at the yard while I ride (I leave my keys in the tack room and people will let them out for a wee/play if I'm gone a while). If it's warm, they're left in the stable. Occasionally I'll leave them at home, e.g. if I need to go to the supermarket on a hot day, but rarely for more than an hour.

As someone said further up the thread, the cost of this blessed doggy lifestyle is that I can probably never change jobs!

thewonderhorse

Visit site
I used to leave my old GSD all day (8:30-5:30) and came home at lunchtime (12-1) to let him out - he was very very good. Ted, the new boy i have booked in for doggy daycare so he gets walks all day and is out and about with other dogs. I am only working 2 days a week after having my little boy so i can just about afford it :) xx