How long do you ride for?

HarlequinSeren

Visit site
Following on a bit from the how often thread, how long do you usually ride for? Hacking and in the school? And also maybe if you know roughly how many miles you cover when you hack out?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Never usually less than an hour.

A proper 'hack' for us would cover several miles, and we'd be out for a couple of hours.

dafthoss

Visit site
Ride for at least an hour most days. Unless he has competed hard the day before then he gets a 20-30 min hack.

DGeventing

Visit site
Different for different horses.
Willy (14.3 connemara eventer) we can trail ride for hours, if I have the time we might be out all afternoon! Flatwork sessions need to be short (or he has a tantrum, hence our shockingly terrible dressage scores! Usually about 30-40 minutes, jump sessions are more like 1 hour.

Adam (17.1 TB eventer) needs a lot shorter sessions, since we've taken him back to basics. All our sessions (jump, flat and trail riding) are around an hour, but with lots of breaks to chill out in. He's got very long legs and can't always remember what to do with them, so sessions are focused on giving him enough work to learn not to fall over and not blow his brains.

And the as yet unnamed (hey it's only been like 4 months... oops maybe I should name her!) DLS needs frequent half hour flatwork sessions, with like, 10 minutes jumping. Trail rides are still a no-no with her less than normal brain :rolleyes:

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Depends on what I'm doing! New horse has just turned 6 but is v green and doesn't have a huge attention span. Hacking I do anything from half an hour (round the block) up to an hour and a half. Took him out for 1hr45min on Sunday and he was shattered so that's too much for him ATM really. Did an 8 mile fun ride recently which he was fine after but running on adrenalin I think. ATM I don't tend to school in the arena, am doing all of my schooling out hacking, but if I do school (arena) then only maybe 20 mins or so. I've loose jumped him a couple of times - after getting him warmed up then he'll go over the jump(s) 5 or 6 times. I also work him in hand for maybe 15 min and long rein sometimes, up to 30 min.

Older horse can hack easily for 2-3 hours, and would go out all day as he's such a tourist and loves hacking. If my sharer schools him then it would be for about 30 min.

ellie_e

Visit site
7yr old WB, who doesnt really 'get' hacking, so we hack once a week, either just round the block, takes about 1-1.5 trotting up hills and small amount of canter, or longer ride with quite a bit of canter/gallop up hill 2-2.5hrs. School maybe twice, 3times a week, for 30-45mins, lunge for 40mins, and at least 1 jumping session 1hr

mudmonkey17

Visit site
School for 30-60 minutes depending on what we are doing and how he is going.
Hacking anything from 30 min to 3 hours x