How long do you take to do a full clip on your horses?

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
I don’t know how long the actual clipping time is but I allow 3 hours. The time starts from when I walk put of my house with the clippers and finishes when I return. I keep my horse at home and will have bathed or groomed him the day before. I am not fussy. I want the pony to be comfortable.

During this time I get the extension lead etc ready, clip with pauses to cool the clippers and move pony around, hot cloth after, sweep up, clean everything ( including me ) and put it away, rug the pony and turn him out.

Quite often I clip head, neck, legs to knees, shoulders and belly on one day and do the rear on another. This takes longer overall but I find it is easier on my back.

neddy man

Visit site
On Thursday did our 16:2 IDxTB sedated by vet legs and 1/2 head left on, using Heiniger Xplorer cordless clippers 50 mins other 16:1 not sedated usually 60 or 65 mins. I think ELF will take some beating on time.

Reactions: DZ2

L&M

Visit site
I can do a full clip on my cob in 45 mins, incl legs and head.. He is a doddle to clip and very quiet and easy so I 'speed clip' him.....

Mind you I am only that quick as I have lots of practice - he is clipped every 5 weeks, all year round, or resembles a yak (even in the summer), and this is my 10th year of ownership!!!!

Last edited:

mavandkaz

Visit site
To fully clip the body, about 45 mins.
Then another 45min for legs - hate doing legs, just takes so long, but have a hogged cobbed so needs doing. (Although will only do legs once more before stopping for winter).

NinjaPony

Visit site
Around an hour, on an 11.2hh with legs and head left on. I go quite slowly though, as his coat is incredibly thick so I often need to go back over areas and tidy up. He’s a tricky pony but is very good to clip as he’s never had a bad experience, so I take my time and make sure the blades cool down regularly as I want to make sure he stays good to clip!

Visit site
A £1 has that Elf can do a hunter clip in 30 minutes.

??? half head and legs on, everything else off is 30-35 mins.

I do have super high powered heavy duty clippers that never get warm let alone hot so I can drive on through 10-12 clips a day. Having numerous sets of blades means I can swop blades between each horse for a cold set.

Nothing can quite top the young lass who swore blind she could clip so we gave her a quiet horse to clip. 2 hours later she had done less than 1 side ? then said she couldn't finish the job as she had to leave. She was also seen watching YouTube videos on 'How To Clip A Horse' before and during. Yup. OK. Cheers for that love! Why do they feel the need to lie?!?

irishdraft

Visit site
It takes me about 2.5 hours for a hunter clip including a hot flannel afterwards so I am very slow . Hampered by my clippers that seem to get very hot after about 20 mins then progressively shorter time as I go on which is a pita.

Auslander

Visit site
I did a designer clip for Ted today, one hour taken. It is a very fashionable look, refused to let me get higher than his jowl, so he sporting a sort of thick fringe at the top of his neck and a furry head. Three and a half legs off before he got tricky and I gave up.

Maybe next time, you can try for the Alf Special. We call it the "Woolly Hat of Shame"
1620795_10152226901885730_2020816896_n.jpg

holeymoley

Visit site
Under an hour I think, that’s with clippers having a 5 minute cool down half way. Longer if I do legs too as they’re a bit of a pain to get in and around.