How long do your horses get 'out' in winter months?

How long do your horses get 'out' each day in winter?

• Total voters

TwoStroke

Visit site
I need an 'Other' option. Mine have access to both field and stables 24/7, so choose whether they want to be in or out.

_GG_

Visit site
As much as I would love her to be out 24/7, she won't have it.

I currently turn out in the morning and bring in mid afternoon providing it is a niceish day.

If there is the slightest bit of wind or rain, my mare will stand at the gate calling at anyone to let her in. If I open the stable door and then open the gate, she will trot across the yard and straight into her stable...and she has loads of shelter in the field!

She was on a raceyard for 6.5 years, so it's what she knows and loves bless her.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
3 are out 24/7 with access to hardstanding half rubbered and half strawed field shelter. 2 of them are out in the day for max 12 hours, min 8 hours - with access to field shelter.

Countrychic

Visit site
I voted out for a few hours on sand but they get 2 days a week out in the fields for about 5hrs then the other 5 days they get 4 hrs out in gravel based paddock and go on the walker.

phantomhorse

Visit site
Mine are out 24/7 in late spring, autumn and all summer. In winter it's in at night, then out after I've ridden in the morning after the school run. Usually out at about 11.30am. Then back in for the night at about 4.15pm (on the way home from the afternoon school run!)

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Ours all get 3 hours out in the sand paddock every day. I find they are very content with this routine and stay nice and clean. I hate muddy fields, though this summer they were out 24/7 until the end of October and I've never seen it so muddy. I couldn't possibly turn out in the fields now, it would be a nightmare.

phantomhorse

Visit site
Ours all get 3 hours out in the sand paddock every day. I find they are very content with this routine and stay nice and clean. I hate muddy fields, though this summer they were out 24/7 until the end of October and I've never seen it so muddy. I couldn't possibly turn out in the fields now, it would be a nightmare.

Know what you mean :rolleyes: Mine's swaddled in a Snuggy Hood Turnout and Spik n Span body rug under his turnout rug. I also plaster his tail and legs (from just above the hock/knees downwards) in copious amounts of pig oil. Sadly, I just don't have time to ride and scrape off oodles of caked on dried mud.

annaellie

Visit site
Am trying to keep mine out 24/7 but sometimes they just stand by the gate so I bring them in. They will be brought in soon overnight just because the feild is so wet otherwise I'd have them out all winter

showpony

Visit site
Minimum of 6hrs daily! My Mare needs this - otherwise she would be a bit loopy if left standing in stable all day - She gets to stretch her legs and seems to adore the mud and rolls in the muckiest part she can find:D

kinnygirl1

Visit site
Mine goes out between 8 and 9 am(depends which of us is turning out) and is in between 3 and 4 pm - so I voted for a few hours. Ours are on grazing but there isn't much grass on the winter paddocks. We chuck hay out but that soon gets eaten so they are turned out more for a leg stretch than anything else.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
My two are out during daylight hours; in for the night.

This regime seems to suit them; plus my DIY livery as well, who does the same.

Even, or should I say, particularly, in the summer, I tend to stick to this routine as my traddie boy's got Sweet Itch and its far better for him to in out the way of the midges basically. If there's a nice breeze, or if midges aren't too bad, then I will leave them out in the summer though.

This summer they've both been out more than in, but now the fields are more like a swamp than anything else so IMO they're far better in.

I've also got a small (quarter acre) "holding pen" which is concreted and is brill for chucking them when vet/farrier's expected and I don't want to put them in, but need somewhere to just shove them so they don't get mucky!

Starzaan

Visit site
Stabled horses are out from 5am to 5 - 6pm every day, whatever the weather, in proper fields.

We have a couple that live out all year too.

Annagain

Visit site
Mine go out at about 6-6.30am and come in 6.30-7pm during the week, and are usually out or getting ready to be ridden by 8 at the weekends.