How long does a large hay bale last you?

Holly Hocks

Visit site
Well a large square bale lasts me 8 days, but that's for a TB who needs it adlib and a native and they are both in almost full-time at the moment apart from a leg stretch. I think if it was just the native and she was out during the day on good grazing, it would probably last me about four weeks :)

Holzdweaver

Visit site
I use two large bales of haylage per month and they have it adlib in the field (slowfeeder)and at night (netted)

Thats for a 13.2hh and a 15.2hh, both lightweight poorish doers.

For just one and only fed at night, id be execting a bale to last me three weeks to a month, as long as the storage was dry.

mhorses

Visit site
I use one large hay bale (6ft long) for two big horses per week and costs £21 per bale. 2 huge shires nets per day per horse.

charlie76

Visit site
I have 13 horses, all out for half a day and have hay in the afternoon and big nets over night, I use a bale of normal size big bales a day, I have just got bigger ones so they are lasting for three days. They have plenty of hay daily and all are very round for this time of year.

Spring Feather

Visit site
I only use hard core round bales and it depends on what size I'm using as to how long they last, and also whether it's seed hay or meadow hay and soft or hard grasses. A 1,200 lbs hard core of meadow hay lasts 4 of my average sized horses about 4 or 5 days. A 700 lbs bale last the same 4 horses would eat it in about 2 days.

Mince Pie

Visit site
I used 1 round bale a month last year for a 13.2 cob who is a good doer. When I last used the heston bales I used 1 a month for the cob and a 13.1 welsh C.

Jnhuk

Visit site
My three (17.1 ID, 16.1 WBxID and 15hh IDx) are obviously a lot greedier than some on here!

If left with unchecked access to it in field shelter 3-4 days with a little left that I pop in haynets for another day

If they only have access to it overnight then I can eek it out to 5 to 6 days

Generally I buy a big bale per week from local farmer (have limited storage) so have to use small bale hay when the big bale runs out.