How long does Agnus Castus take to get into the system please

mastermax

Visit site
As per title really.
Background...recently bought a lovely cob that had been gelded a week, had covered previously. We all decided it would be best to leave him where he was until he had fully healed, which he has and is now home. I have owned horses for over 40 years so I am fully aware of settling in times, change to routine etc, however, his stallion attitude is at fever pitch. He is turned out in a quiet paddock with a very laid back gelding that frankly just ignores him so there is no animosity there. He is all over the place to bring in, pretty much rears on the end of the lead rope, paces the fence line all day, is very vocal (and loud). To be fair to him I want to de stress him more for his benefit than mine, I just feel so sorry for him. He must be exhausted the poor chap and would like him to be able to come in and just eat and sleep.
I have been recommended Agnus Castus which I now have but wondered how long it will take until it takes effect, if any. Many thanks.

Auslander

Visit site
When you say recently, how recently? It takes a while for the hormone levels to drop, and can also take a long time for the horse to stop displaying stalliony behaviour, just because that's how it has always reacted to stimuli (ie;mares).

I wouldn't bet on Agnus Castus doing a thing. I've tried it, and it did nothing.

mastermax

Visit site
Oh dear thats a shame it didnt work, I am mixing it with with mag ox as well in an attempt to make him feel less stressed. He has been gelded for only five weeks.

_GG_

Visit site
Oh dear thats a shame it didnt work, I am mixing it with with mag ox as well in an attempt to make him feel less stressed. He has been gelded for only five weeks.

It's at least 6 weeks post gelding before a stallion is safe to be around mares without risk of successful covering so I would do nothing more than pretty much leave him largely alone to find his own balance and confidence in his new home and allow the hormones to die down.

Good luck.

Andalucian

Visit site
I use Agnus Castus to settle hormones in low level cushings horses. My observation is it works in a day or so, and it works better on mares.