How long does it take you to clip?

Gingey

Visit site
As title. Please say what clip you're doing too, no point making me feel jealous about it only taking you 15 mins to clip.. if you're actually doing a bib clip on a minature shetland ;)

Just wanting to check whether I'm ridiculously slow or not :eek: :D

kerilli

Visit site
hunter clip, about an hour as long as horse stands still. if i have to faff around doing the delicate bits and then going back to easy bits to keep the horse happy, a bit longer.
if i'm doing a blanket clip, about 10 mins longer to get the lines exactly right.
if the blades aren't really sharp it takes a bit longer too!

Gingey

Visit site
Ah. Think I need to speed up a bit :eek: :D

Luckily my horse is a good boy and happy to stand with a haynet for as long as necessary...hours....days...weeks :p
He is not keen on having area around back legs/tail done though, take my time over that bit so he doesn't get worried, so that's my excuse :eek:

Last edited:

BobbyMondeo

Visit site
It will take me about 2-3 hours to do a full clip on my horse.

He is really ticklish so i have to take my time and also i have small clippers and the blade is about half the width of a normal as he doesnt like the loud big clippers

rowy

Visit site
To do the all neck off and a trace line down the belly it takes 20minutes but then takes about 10 minutes to do the face.
To do a hunter clip (legs, face and saddle patch left on) it took me about 30- 45 minutes.
My clippers are amazing though, no matter what angle you cut at , they dont leave lines!

whizzer

Visit site
Full clip prob about an hour, horse good to clip but I do faff about alot! Anything with lines takes prob about the same due to faffing with lines!

supercowpony

Visit site
I would say full clip from 1.5hrs to 2.5 hrs, depending how much of my cobs feather has grown back! He's also antsy about having his legs done and his belly.

I did a blanket clip in about an hour, or an hour and 15 mins over xmas, but was again faffing with lines for a bit.

superted1989

Visit site
Markie has everything off, except his legs. First of the year took around an hour but the following 3 (he grows hair for fun!) have taken about 40 minutes. He is very, very good, doesn't move a muscle, even with my ancient Liveryman's that sound like an angle grinder!

Foxhunter49

Visit site
A lot depends on how clean the horses are, the type of clip and how good they are.

On average, about an hour for Hunter clip, 45 mins for a trace or blanket clip.

Lines do not bother me, I have done so many I just do it by an experienced eye.

Visit site
I clip hundreds (literally) of horses every year and all of them are full clips - legs and half head left on thats all. My record for a 16hh fresh clip on a quiet horse is 28mins 39seconds. Usually it takes me about 45-50mins to do a full clip on the racehorses. Sometimes longer if the horse is an erse, sometimes less if it is a cat-hair re-clip.

It took me an hour and a half to clip my shetland - I had to go over it 3 times witht he clippers to get it all off! She had a proper big thick coat :D

9tails

Visit site
2 evenings and half an hour during daylight to get the bits I missed. I own a fidgety idiot who gets the tricky bits done on the first evening then the easy bits the second evening.

Full clip with half head and legs left on.

starryeyed

Visit site
Usually about an hour, depending on which horse i'm doing - one stands still, the other gets bored!
The hunter clip took about an hour as I was perfecting the lines, blanket one took longer as it was not only dark (!!) but horse was a figit. It did look fine the next day though!