How long does it take you to do a full clip?

Jo1987

Visit site
As title really, I clipped my cob out for the 3rd time today, I can't believe how fast it grows back!
I managed a full clip (half face, legs on) in an hour, it usually takes me at least an hour and a half but I wasn't in the mood for it today and just wanted it done!
What's everyone else's record?

LeannePip

Visit site
A full (legs and half face on) usually takes me about 40/45 mins. a complete shave (absolutely everything off inc head/ ears and legs) can take unto 2 hours depending on how well behaved the patient is!

Jo1987

Visit site
I must admit its not my neatest job and my horse is a saint and doesn't move an inch (I think he thinks he's having a massage!)

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Takes me about 45 mins to do legs. Total of 2 hours to achieve total hair removal inc face:

7626FC32-F6BF-42B2-A3B9-A6A0B1325214.png_zpsupz0gc56.jpeg

That's every 3 weeks and she stands like a rock. Usually do legs while she eats breakfast. She's a slow eater. :eek:

Jo1987

Visit site
Very smart FfionWinnie, my lad still has full feather and a fair amount of mane but I'm very tempted to take the lot of in the spring!

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Very smart FfionWinnie, my lad still has full feather and a fair amount of mane but I'm very tempted to take the lot of in the spring!

Thank you. :) She was clipped when I bought her but maybe 3 months since she was done so quite hairy. Her legs are very very hairy. Her mane was pulled but she hates it being pulled and since it's like a bog brush I decided to hogg it. Never had one before but I love it now. Hoping to not need to do the face every time as she's not keen on her left ear being done! I just did her lower legs and mane in the summer every time and her body maybe every 6- 9 weeks so hope her face will be similar. Wouldn't have believed a year ago I would spend this much time clipping a horse, mostly had natives before now.

utter-nutter

Visit site
I did an 'emergency' clip, morning of hunting (only released how fluffy he was when i brought him in) which was the whole body (not legs, and half face ) in 45 mins!, wasn't my best job though!

WelshD

Visit site
I clip my section A, full clip on body, face, ears etc and down to his knees and hocks, he is awkward as heck due to being so short its hard to clip his tummy and I am not too terribly limber but I can clip him in about an hour

Visit site
Legs on and half head takes me 40-45mins. The 3yo Frank The Tank I did today took just over an hour as he was just that! A tank! Plus it was his first ever clip and he was still damp in parts which didn't help. Neither did the geese who decided to rock up halfway through lol!

My record is 27mins & 48seconds on a 17hh. He stood like a rock, it was a first clip of the season but the coat wasn't too long. It wasn't my best clip but it certainly wasn't the worst I have ever seen and a damned sight better than what my other clipping minions can do! (They aren't really allowed near the runners of that week and never near the good horses! Or the first timers! Or my pet ponies ... OK I am very pernickety and tend to do 90% of the horses myself to make sure they are done properly!)

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Legs on, half a head (he's not good round his ears!) has taken three hours before now and I usually have to change blades. He is extremely fluffy currently.

Fluff!
20151129_110723_zpsdu1xy4uq.jpg

meesha

Visit site
Full clip with face off but legs on and hog 2hrs at least. Cordless clippers so not the most powerful although do v good job, just have to clip slowly over bum etc where hair v dense.

Starzaan

Visit site
Legs on but everything else off takes me 40mins. Less if horse is very good to clip. Legs off as well takes just over an hour. I've had a LOT of practice!!

Jo1987

Visit site
Looks like I need to get some more practice in! I'm pretty slow around the elbows/armpits (do horses have armpits?! The wrinkly bits anyway)
I'm worried about catching the skin and can never decide how far down to go!

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
2 people, one on each side and everything off incl legs and head, sweeping up afterwards and bathing/rugging the horse takes us 2 hours.

we are fussy and dont like leaving a single line or tuft.

its armpits, groin up to stifle and head that take the time i find, everything else comes off ok.

Merrymoles

Visit site
Current horse would take several days.

He is very worried about the clippers so I tend to just do what I can before he starts to get very upset and then pack in until another day. We are making progress like this but it is slooooow. I could just sedate him but would rather educate and have the time and ability to do that so will persist!

He is currently sporting a very small bib clip and clipped back legs and nothing else off! It's a good job I don't care what we look like. However, he does need more off so am planning to have a go on Friday if the weather is good enough.

Haven't actually done a proper full for years but find clipping time depends entirely on how well the horse stands, what type/depth of coat it has and how clean it is!

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
About 30 minutes for half face, legs on. 45 for a blanket as have to triple check lines. That's one our two who just stand there and don't move.

On the elephant it's about 45minutes because he can be a bit of a git and my sister puts and b and skull and cross bones on his bum.

_OC_

Visit site
God it takes me ages...... legs off a full body and half face and ears up to 3 hours :0 At which point I have given up the will to live....and he is good to clip.....could be I stop for a natter while pulling bits of fur out of my mouth.......why oh why did I buy a cob that I like to see fully clipped.....best bit is hogging his mane!

dibbin

Visit site
I can do Jazz completely by myself in just over an hour, he just gets his legs and head left on. He starts to fidget by the end so I have to get my lines done first!

rowan666

Visit site
took two people 2 days with 3 blade changes! pony was perfectly behaved just has the thickest cost you've ever seen and I'm well erm a tad useless! (putting it mildly) 😂