How long does it take you to muck out?

fiwen30

Visit site
I ask because my girl is almost unnaturally clean! All of the mess is always in one place, and it only takes about 12-15 minutes to lift the dirty straw, remake the bed, add fresh straw and fill the water bucket. In comparison, my yard owner's horse, India, is SO messy. She'll completely destroy her bed overnight, messes anywhere and then churns it all up into dirty knots with her hooves. Any time I need to muck out her stable, it takes me nearly half an hour!

Thankfully the weather has been glorious these past few weeks, so not so much mucking out to do :D How about you?

windand rain

Visit site
10 minutes per horse on straw beds lifted and floor swept in the morning a few minutes at night to lay the bed and add fresh straw and water.
About an hour to do a clean job on shavings I hate them they are so messy, sticky and always look grubby

NativePonyLover

Visit site
Anything from 30 minutes to 3 hours, on a weekend if I'm hungover & chatting ...!

On a weekday morning: I take out the wet & pop, fork the straw bed up, sweep & spray the floor with watered down disinfectant, put a base layer of chopped straw, the rest of the bed back down, re-tidy the banks, put more straw in, hang haynets & re-do waters in 25-30 minutes.

He's averagely dirty, I'd say.

catwithclaws

Visit site
I work on a yard and try to work to 15 minutes per box including filling water buckets, adding fresh bedding and making haynets for lunch and overnight. Some of them I can do in 10, others take 20 but it all averages out in the end!

LeannePip

Visit site
When i was working I would do 12 shavings/rubber matted boxes and sweep down the barn isle in an hour and 20mins/30mins, some were really clean and would take 5 mins, others really messy and slightly longer, put shavings down if need be, water was automatic and hay was done before mucking out. mine lives out atm but comes in for 6 hours a day and doesn't pee in her stable so about 2 mins to pick 3 poos up and sweep the front back, during the winter she was in at night and it probably took ten mins to do a full muck out on a big shavings bed, She's pretty clean tbh and doesn't churn stuff up which makes it really easy!

PolarSkye

Visit site
I am ashamed to say that it takes me a good 45 minutes . . . to do a full muck-out, sweep/disinfect the floor, re-lay bed, put down clean straw, hay water, mix feed and sweep up/blow yard.

But . . . I have the dirtiest horse on the planet . . . (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it).

P

XxCoriexX

Visit site
Usually takes me about 20 minutes all in! That includes refilling the water, filling her haynets and putting down any new bedding. In the winter I tend to go straight from work and take her in, then I muck out while she has her massage! Could probably do it faster but get distracted by giving her cuddles, moving her from side to side to allow me to get in at the bed and of course laughing at her antics of stealing the brush or making funny faces when the massager hits a good spot haha!

skyrock

Visit site
It takes me an hour per bed on chopped straw but i am very pedantic about my mucking out and go though both beds twice. All wet and poo must go!

Bav

Visit site
About 20minutes to do a full muck out on a big straw bed, that's with taking about 2 wheelbarrows of wet and poop out and adding more straw, filling hay and water.

But that's only when Ive got somewhere to be, work to go to or the yard is empty.
Otherwise it's been known to take me 2 - 3 hours just to muck out as I get easily distracted and have been known to stand gassing, arm on fork, much to my partners disdain. Saying that I do have the ability to make any 2minute job take an hour...

Embo

Visit site
I would say between 20-40 minutes, depending what kind of muck out I'm doing and if the boy has had a party overnight.

It generally takes me an hour (give or take 10 mins either way) to do everything in the morning, and most of my time is spent mucking out. He is on shavings, moderately clean (poops in roughly the same areas, but does lie down lots and smoosh some of it in) and out from 6am to 6pm, give or take an hour.

I'm quite fussy about my bed so will spend longer doing it than most people I know.

JulesRules

Visit site
About 20 to 25 minutes to do the muck out plus 5 to 10 to do water, hay nets, feeds etc.

My girl is quite messy and is on straw. I usually clear out about 2 barrows a day

I could easily do my previous horse in 15 minutes as he was on shavings and much cleaner, but my current horse tries to eat the shavings so straw it is...

Jazmyn101

Visit site
To just muck out it would take 45mins-1hr depending on how much bedding she has and how early I get there, she is not a clean horse! I am on hunters woodchip and to put the bed down would be another 15-20minutes, I'm very OCD with her bed :)