How long does your farrier take???

rainer

Visit site
When we had the farrier out for the first time with charlie he took about 45 minutes-1hr to trim all round but I'd rather he took his time and did a proper job than rush :)

catkin

Visit site
As long as is needed.

A new horse or one that is showing a different wear pattern/has had an injury is going to take longer because my farrier always discusses what they're seeing with me.
For a ''straightforward' horse shod all round the average has been about 1 hour, more if anything extra to do. Trims on the ponies can take time too - not the actual trimming, which unless there's a problem is fairly minimal in our case - but in an assessment of how the feet are working for the horse.

It is this expert 'eye' that I respect and pay for as much as the deed itself.

Spottyappy

Visit site
Just a quick query, tonight I used a different farrier to my usual, he has been doing it for approx 20 years so not exactly new at the job but O lord...

1 hour and 25 lonnnnnngggg minutes later and a full set done!

My horse was getting a bit bored after an hour and I can't say I blame her, I certainly was.
Don't get me wrong he did a good job but not sure I can go through that every 8 weeks.

My usual farrier takes about 25 mins to do a full set, how long does your farrier take? Have I just been spoilt with my last farrier, or is this about the normal???

Does your first farrier work alone, or with a group of apprentices, as 25 minutes maybe possible if several of tHem in tow.
However, I would generally expect the quality of work to not be the greatest if my farrier completed a set in 25 min :confused::confused:
Maybe after 20 years working, the new farrier is much more thorough, plus he may have to nurse his back more than a younger one, hence would rather be careful especially with a horse he does not know.

If you are happy with the quality of his work,i would say its time well spent,as well as money well spent too.

Ebenezer_Scrooge

Visit site
My farrier has been shoeing my horse since I got him 8.5 yrs ago, if he is on his own he is there about an hour, including a cuppa & cake. If his assistant is with him [qualified farrier] about 45 mins & they do him together although my farrier does most of it. :D

swampdonkey

Visit site
I have only ever used the 'quick' farrier in the 7 yrs I've had horses so just didn't question it. I was never unhappy with his work or had any problems with my horses feet but listening to all your replies looks like my new farrier is 'normal' speedwise and I will definately allow more time for it next time. Thanks for all replies.

sunleychops

Visit site
He will be doing a poor job in comparison if he only takes 25 minutes.

It takes on average 80 minutes to do a full set correctly balanced etc. Most farriers will spend 25 minutes heating and shaping the shoe!

nemlin

Visit site
My farrier takes just under 2 hours for a full set - very thorough and I'd rather he took his time and did a decent job ( of which he does!) rather than rush and make a mistake. He spends ages shaping and reshaping shoes, don't think my made has odd feet but her shoes certainly are made to measure :)

hobgoblin

Visit site
Blimey! 2 hours! Can't get much work done in a day taking 2 hours to shoe one horse???!!! ( I'm not a farrier btw but husband is) he takes about 20 minutes to shoe my horses if they are well behaved. I think I would certainly be very concerned about anybody taking an hour or more ....

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Hot shoe, around 40 minutes each set. He has a wealth of experience & does things correctly. He was one of the farriers chosen to work at the Olympics. :)

ameeyal

Visit site
Mine hot shoes 2 ponys and takes 1 hour, { he doesnt mess about talking, he likes to get the job done, then rushes off to his next customer}

exracer superstar

Visit site
Anywere from 1 hour to an hour and a half depends on how much he's gossiping and if we are changing anything. Fwiw my farrier is worth his weight in gold :)

tessybear

Visit site
About an Hour, this includes having breaks for Tess who can get worked up if to much happens at once :rolleyes: a tea break of course :D and a good old natter :) Lovely lady who knows each horse like the back of her hand

Louise_88

Visit site
My farrier has 2 sometimes 3 apprentices with him. It takes them 2 hours, maybe 2hours 30mins, to shoe 5 and trim 3. He is very good! he obviously has to also watch over his apprentices taking shoes off etc and finishing the shoe off (they do not fit the shoe).

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
About and hour and a bit to do a full set and he is really careful about making sure the balance is correct and to discuss any issues. Even with an apprentice he took that long as he had to check all their work.

horsesforcourses

Visit site
Farrier was out this morning...arrived 8am and left at 10.15. Two horses new shoes and one shetland trim. God i was bored...........lovely bloke but why do they all seem to swear so much ? Now i am not a prude, and do swear the odd time, but virtually every other word is ******* this and that. I'm glad when he has gone to regain some peace!!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Interesting answers and very evident that the majority of farriers are using factory shoes.

As for the 20 and 25 minutes for a full set, totally astonishing. I cannot imagine the quality of the work if it takes less than half an hour to remove, trim, balance, fit, shape/alter, fit, nail and clench.

My farrier would be well over an hour in the forge making the shoes from straight bar and well over another hour with the horses.

The youngster trims also take time, with careful attention being given to foot and limb balance plus gait observation.

My farrier and I are getting on in years now, so things do slow down a bit I guess.